Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bigelow for Heisman

Guys - the heisman race is over, Lache Seastrunk already has dibs. Maybe we can push Bigelow in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by bearsandgiants View Post
    You have to hold onto the ball in order to win the heisman. The trophy has the guy actually holding onto the ball.
    That's not very important actually, to win the Heisman you have to have 2 or 3 spectacular individual performances (especially in big games) and be on a BCS team. Bigelow has shown he can do the former, but it's a moot point because of the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal88 View Post
    That's not very important actually, to win the Heisman you have to have 2 or 3 spectacular individual performances (especially in big games) and be on a BCS team.
    Remind me again what BCS bowl Manziel is playing in? How about RGIII last year? And Tebow when he won his heisman? It certainly helps to lead your team to a BCS bowl, but it is my no means preclusive. It's an uphill battle for any non-QB and certainly difficult for a west coaster to win, but not impossible. Well, impossible in 2013 because Seastrunk is going to win it, as noted earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Unit2Sucks View Post
    Remind me again what BCS bowl Manziel is playing in? How about RGIII last year? And Tebow when he won his heisman? It certainly helps to lead your team to a BCS bowl, but it is my no means preclusive. It's an uphill battle for any non-QB and certainly difficult for a west coaster to win, but not impossible. Well, impossible in 2013 because Seastrunk is going to win it, as noted earlier.

Manziel is starring on a 10-2 #9-ranked team, playing Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl. RGIII was the best QB in the NCAA on a 10-3 team, ranked #12.

They've come out from the SEC and B12. Us being in the P12, we'd have to win at the very least 9 games to have an outside shot at the Heisman, 10 wins is probably the cutoff, and 10 wins has been good enough to get every P12/10 team in the BCS the last 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by CalBarn View Post
    Too much negative, defeatist attitute here......Muncie was 2nd, came on like gangbusters. He was better than Griffin, but Griffin had already won the year before; therefore, was well know by everybody, not so with Muncie. There may be somewhat of an eastern bias, but that can be overcome. Muncie did not lose because he was from "Hippie U" as you put it. Might be nit-picking, but I just don't like to see negative stereotyping reinforced or used as an excuse. Go Bears!
    negative, defeatist attitude ... ha
    u$c was on a roll and one of the leading Heisman candidates was $c's Ricky Bell.
    Then the trojans came to Berkeley and burst under pressure.
    Cal 28, u$c 14 ... and the band and fans enjoyed chanting "who the hell is Ricky Bell' ... that definitely got national attention.

Cal finished with exactly, to the yard, the same yards rushing and passing. The media knew about Cal. But for screwing up and losing to fucla, Cal would have been in the Rose Bowl. fucla went and Cal only got a co-championship.

However, Berkeley was at center in all the political turmoil ... lots of it.
    No way would a Cal Berkeley ("kal") guy get the Heisman. But Muncie was clearly the most deserving especially based on his well-known yards after contact.

Check your history.

Real Bear
    Doesn't Bigelow have to become a starter first? A few nice runs from last year don't make you a candidate for anything this year, except a good chance to play more to show what you can do.

Manziel is starring on a 10-2 #9-ranked team, playing Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl. RGIII was the best QB in the NCAA on a 10-3 team, ranked #12.

They've come out from the SEC and B12. Us being in the P12, we'd have to win at the very least 9 games to have an outside shot at the Heisman, 10 wins is probably the cutoff, and 10 wins has been good enough to get every P12/10 team in the BCS the last 5 years.
    Yes - we have to have a good season for him to win the heisman, no debate there. Look, the heisman is a finicky award and essentially is a popularity contest. This whole thread is a joke right? There's nothing to discuss unless you have a heisman candidate, and recent history has shown that guys come out of nowhere to heisman contention, and favorites disappear early on. If there's anything to talk about, we'll know in November next season, not now and not in September.

I agree. But if we actually beat Ohio State with Bigelow having the kind of performance he did in Colombus, then we can start talking about it in september.

I agree. But if we actually beat Ohio State with Bigelow having the kind of performance he did in Colombus, then we can start talking about it in september.
    Just like we did after Desean's punt return against UT. Nothing can/will/should stop us from hyping our players after big performances against marquee opponents.

One more thing to consider based on recent trends - with the proliferation of running/throwing QBs, you really need gawdy numbers as a humble RB to be in the heisman conversation. Appears that 2000 yards and 25 TDs is a minimum and even then you aren't guaranteed an invite to NY. Even this year when I think relatively speaking there were few superstar QBs, Kadeem Carey's 2000 all purpose yards/21TD season and Montee Ball's 1800 yards/21 TD season were footnotes to the heisman race. You would argue that their team performances were too weak to get them to NY, but Montee did lead UW to the BigTen+howevermanyotherschoolstheconferencehas title.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCityBear View Post
    Doesn't Bigelow have to become a starter first? A few nice runs from last year don't make you a candidate for anything this year, except a good chance to play more to show what you can do.
    I guess we'll start lasco who had even less carries? Pretty sure bigelow being a starter for the first game is a foregone conclusion. But yeah, if some of you can't get past this then we'll need to start the Bigelow for putting his pants on one leg at a time campaign first.
    Last edited by tommie317; 12-23-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Real Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by tommie317 View Post
    I guess we'll start lasco who had even less carries? Pretty sure bigelow being a starter for the first game is a foregone conclusion. But yeah, if some of you can't get past this then we'll need to start the Bigelow for putting his pants on one leg at a time campaign first.
    So, you have written off Lasco, Ervin, Muhammed, Yarnway, and maybe Newby? Iíll bet all those young players will now have their spirits boosted by your support.

The way Iíve heard that Sonny Dykes does things, is he makes out his depth chart for every position, and updates it every day. He will put the best player on the field, even if that player is a freshman. Yes, Bigelow is the favorite, but Dykes will require that he win the job, and not have it handed to him. Bigelow has a history of severe injury and long rehabs, and he needs also to prove that he is durable to take the majority of snaps.

The way Iíve heard that Sonny Dykes does things, is he makes out his depth chart for every position, and updates it every day. He will put the best player on the field, even if that player is a freshman.
    Yes, Bigelow is the favorite, but Dykes will require that he win the job, and not have it handed to him. Bigelow has a history of severe injury and long rehabs, and he needs also to prove that he is durable to take the majority of snaps.
    Bigelow may be the "favorite" among some but he has to perform - in practice - every day - to become ONE of those who play.
    I'm sure he will be drilled in protecting the ball, and get drilled to prove he has learned how to do that.
    Dykes doesn't let talent sit nor does he give extra credit to "longevity" or past performance.

Real Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCalVa View Post
    Bigelow may be the "favorite" among some but he has to perform - in practice - every day - to become ONE of those who play.
    I'm sure he will be drilled in protecting the ball, and get drilled to prove he has learned how to do that.
    Dykes doesn't let talent sit nor does he give extra credit to "longevity" or past performance.
    Tedford used to always bench a player who had just fumbled. No matter how good the player was, Tedford held him out of the game for a quarter or a half. The last few years, he gradually stopped doing this. It was then that I first suspected that Tedford had lost the competitive fire in his belly. Last season, I don't remember him benching any player for a fumble.

So, you have written off Lasco, Ervin, Muhammed, Yarnway, and maybe Newby? Iíll bet all those young players will now have their spirits boosted by your support.

The way Iíve heard that Sonny Dykes does things, is he makes out his depth chart for every position, and updates it every day. He will put the best player on the field, even if that player is a freshman. Yes, Bigelow is the favorite, but Dykes will require that he win the job, and not have it handed to him. Bigelow has a history of severe injury and long rehabs, and he needs also to prove that he is durable to take the majority of snaps.
    How can you prove longevity in practice? How does that work? If you can't tell right now that bigelow will be ahead of Manuel in the depth chart by now then i got some Tedford rose bowl tickets to sell to you. Stop this everybody is even and have a chance, some people are just more talented and will start barring unforeseen circumstances. Heck lets make a bet right now 2 to 1, I take bigelow and you take the field and I'll put $500 on it. Put your money where your mouth is.

Tedford used to always bench a player who had just fumbled. No matter how good the player was, Tedford held him out of the game for a quarter or a half. The last few years, he gradually stopped doing this. It was then that I first suspected that Tedford had lost the competitive fire in his belly. Last season, I don't remember him benching any player for a fumble.
    Tedford benched both bigelow and maybe lasco (hard to tell since he didn't play much) for fumbles but not sofeil. I guess you don't follow cal football very much.
    Last edited by tommie317; 12-26-2012 at 02:54 PM.