Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rose Bowl Tix - How much would you pay?

Now you've got me thinking...

When I started this thread I thought- no way...I'd get all my friends up at our club bar to watch the game, eat gourmet food, and imbibe adult beverages- like a great Super Bowl party...but like many other posters, my roots run deep through my Mom and Dad- loyal season ticket holders like me. I too came to the games from child hood, and continued through my years at Cal as well as the lean years. I think I might actually cry when the Bears run out on the field in Pasadena. $1,000 is cheap given the energy and effort I've put into it already.

Quote Originally Posted by Agureghian View Post
    my brother works for the Rose Bowl and usually gets tickets he sells... for me, free.
    So what! Cal hasn't been there so they are near worthless to us....
    Hey, any of us COULD go. We choose not to, until.

In other words, quoting Mastercard, priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by XXXBEAR View Post
    When I started this thread I thought- no way...I'd get all my friends up at our club bar to watch the game, eat gourmet food, and imbibe adult beverages- like a great Super Bowl party...but like many other posters, my roots run deep through my Mom and Dad- loyal season ticket holders like me. I too came to the games from child hood, and continued through my years at Cal as well as the lean years. I think I might actually cry when the Bears run out on the field in Pasadena. $1,000 is cheap given the energy and effort I've put into it already.
    These thoughts have been in my head for a decade at least. And I was shocked that the ROSE BOWL committee selected Texas ahead of us. You would have thought they'd have stuck to their Pac10 roots and taken the equally deserving team: Cal. Hell, it's not like we wouldn't have travelled and bought the hell out of everything. It's not like we are a small and $poor$ group of alumni!

WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING??? F'ing ROSE BOWL COMMITTEE. SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN IT TO ME BECAUSE I'M THINKING OF BECOMING A MEMBER OF THE NRA JUST THINKING ABOUT THIS INJUSTICE. (sick pun intended!)

Quote Originally Posted by Agureghian View Post
    my brother works for the Rose Bowl and usually gets tickets he sells... for me, free.
    Adopt me!

As a young Bear still in college, this question is much more difficult for me. If it was '13 or '14, I'd be employed, but likely not all that wealthy.

I could probably afford $500, and up to $750ish if I borrowed from my parents. That's not to say what I would be WILLING to pay - just what I could afford.

While it would be great to get back to the Rose Bowl, I'm one of those alumni and fans that would rather see my golden bears play for a national championship. So for me it's a maximum of about $3000 per ticket for the Rose Bowl but whatever it takes for the NCG! lol

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAndGold View Post
    As a young Bear still in college, this question is much more difficult for me. If it was '13 or '14, I'd be employed,
    I like your optimism.

You've got me by a few months, cjbarker

Quote Originally Posted by cjbarker View Post
    In January of '59 mom was 5 months pregnant with me. They'd lost their only other pregnancy a year before, and with mom at 37 and dad at 36, they were starting a family ridiculously late for that day and age. So, not wanting to risk losing another baby, and knowing it was likely to be a blow out loss in any case, (Iowa was that good, and Cal, even with Kapp, wasn't really all that much, having won a rump league with others hampered by sanctions in the wake of the whole Ronnie Knox thing) they made a hard decision: to skip that Rose Bowl.

"Oh well," they told themselves, "There will be plenty of other Rose Bowls..... ."

Mom died in '95; dad in '99. And if there's another Rose Bowl, this time in my *post* utero lifetime, you'd better believe I'm not missing it!!
    I'd never thought about it but I guess I was about 1 month 'old'. I was born August 1st, 1959. If I meet you at the Rose Bowl when (not if) Cal makes it we'll drink a toast to our first post-utero Cal Rose Bowl.

Thanks guys. I feel young now.

True Blue Golden Bear
    I hear kidney are going for a pretty penny, and you only need one. So.....

Quote Originally Posted by XXXBEAR View Post
    My initial reaction to this thread was that going to games is overrated. I was going to say I wouldn't be willing to spend more than a couple hundred bucks for tix. But having read some of these posts, maybe I should reconsider. As a SoCal resident, I wouldn't have to pay for airfare or hotel stay. Plus, who knows how much longer we'd have to wait for another opportunity?

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    These thoughts have been in my head for a decade at least. And I was shocked that the ROSE BOWL committee selected Texas ahead of us. You would have thought they'd have stuck to their Pac10 roots and taken the equally deserving team: Cal. Hell, it's not like we wouldn't have travelled and bought the hell out of everything. It's not like we are a small and $poor$ group of alumni!

WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING??? F'ing ROSE BOWL COMMITTEE. SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN IT TO ME BECAUSE I'M THINKING OF BECOMING A MEMBER OF THE NRA JUST THINKING ABOUT THIS INJUSTICE. (sick pun intended!)
    I don't know if this will make you feel better, but they had to take Texas that year due to the rankings. The covetted number 4 spot was guaranteed a BCS Bowl that year, as was Utah since they broke into the top 6. The Rose bowl and Fiesta Bowl were replacing champions, so the Rose took UT and the Fiesta Bowl had to take Utah. Utah making it helped knocked us out of the Rose Bowl, otherwise they could have taken us and the Fiesta could have taken UT.

Back on topic, my wife's first offer is $400, which is a good starting point I think. I'm not sure how much I'd actually pay, maybe $1k. It'd go up if my friends were going and group pressure sets in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace4eVer View Post
    I don't know if this will make you feel better, but they had to take Texas that year due to the rankings. The covetted number 4 spot was guaranteed a BCS Bowl that year, as was Utah since they broke into the top 6. The Rose bowl and Fiesta Bowl were replacing champions, so the Rose took UT and the Fiesta Bowl had to take Utah. Utah making it helped knocked us out of the Rose Bowl, otherwise they could have taken us and the Fiesta could have taken UT.
    Hey, I think I recall that now.
    Thanks! I've backed down off the ledge I've been standing on for 8 years.
    I do appreciate that point of clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by 82gradDLSdad View Post
    I'd never thought about it but I guess I was about 1 month 'old'. I was born August 1st, 1959. If I meet you at the Rose Bowl when (not if) Cal makes it we'll drink a toast to our first post-utero Cal Rose Bowl.
    I'll hold you to that, DLSd. (And most days, I do think it's when, not if. )

I would pay whatever it took to be in the stadium. It could basically be a once in a lifetime event.