Thread: Cal 88 KU 79

Cal 88 KU 79

A great effort all around. We led almost the entire game, though not by more than 7 until the last few minutes. We played mostly the usual 7, plus a short stint by Justine. Layshia had it going tonight with 28 points, mostly from midrange. Gennifer, Talia, and Reshanda were all in double figures with a mixture of precision and pounding.

Both teams shot very well, except for our dismal 12 for 24 at the line. That's going to cost us some games if we don't get it fixed. Kansas worked the ball extremely well for good shots, and we had to play near our best to beat them. We had only 11 turnovers and out-rebounded KU by 16.

Pretty good crowd, I'm guessing over 2000. This is the kind of game, like the Ohio State game last year, which should bring them back to see more.

The officials called very little in the first half, but neither team played particularly roughly so it was great. They called it a little closer in the second, but still even. A good performance as they didn't affect the game.
    Last edited by stu; 12-21-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Yes, very good game tonight.

Cal had bigger, better athletes. Kansas had really good shooters.

This is the best I've seen Cal play in the half court offense - not too many mistakes and worked the ball around and into the paint for good shots.

Such a satisfying win. *bow to Layshia*

Happy Holidays!

Quote Originally Posted by R90 View Post
    Yes, very good game tonight.

This is the best I've seen Cal play in the half court offense - not too many mistakes and worked the ball around and into the paint for good shots.
    I would agree..best game I've seen against a quality team from beginning to the ending. Must still improve on FT and finishing some layups.

attendance 3003!!

http://www.calbears.com/sports/w-bas.../wbkcakua.html

Layshia, queen of the 8 foot jump shot

While many players try to go to the hoop, she just stops on a dime and hits the open short jumper.

Kansas was big inside, and played well there offensively but their bigs didn't defend well and they didn't rebound well. But they sure had a great half court offense and just about everyone could score. Their little point guard was a trip. Their bigs could score inside and the rest could hit jumpers. They shot 50% for the game and 60 % the second half. They shot their free throws well too.

Nice crowd for a nasty night. I would guess close to 3,000. Coming into this game, they shot 28.3 % from 3 point land. They looked to better shooters than that. And they shot 68.3% from the free throw lane and they shot better tonight.

Fun time. Took two people from our school who had never been to a women's game before. And they had a great time.

An Albany women won the ugliest sweater contest on her birthday. We know how to wear ugly sweaters.

official attendance 3,009.

Nice crowd. Not as many kids but the holidays just started and most people probably headed out of town.

impressive win, offense very fluid wiith only 11 turnovers, in tonight's victory over a well coached and senior leadersship jayhawk team

if the bears can knock down a few more fts, only 50% with 12 of 24, they can be an elite 8 team(and maybe even better) and knock out quality teams and avoid potential upsets

while bears beat a nationally ranked team, the 5 other pac 12 teams all lose tonight including uc davis knocking off usc

plays of the game, there were 2

at halftime as the bears run off the court they pass thru the hallway which is cordoned off to allow them to pass and head downstairs...a 10 year old girl with a green sweater and pink bow in her hair high fives the cal players as they run by...brittney boyd stops for 2 seconds and holds her hand a second longer than you would expect and looks her right in the eyes with a smile...bb then continues on and this girl looks at her hand, puts her hand over her mouth, and then radiates an amazing wide smile and skips off

fast forward to the end of the game, same place..gennifer brandon runs by and bends down 2 feet to meet the same girl's eyes and asks her if she is related to anyone on the team...the girl shyly says no but starts to smile again, gb thinks she is part of the bears family!

wbb fans are won one by one

gennifer and brittney, i saw what you did tonight, you are both all americans

go bears
    Last edited by Shocky1; 12-21-2012 at 10:07 PM.

a signature win

beating Kansas is big when NCAA tournament rolls in. Congrates on the big win
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

A Really Satisfying Game

It is true that if we don't improve our FT shooting, we will lose games because of it. Other than that, I really enjoyed this game. This was a chance for the Bears to show everyone that they are for real, and they did just that. They played well from start to finish, never holding more than a single digit lead until late in the game. Executed well in one pressure possession after another. Better than I've seen in a long time, if at all.

This was a great game for any Cal fan, or any basketball fan for that matter. I was glad to see over 3,000 showed up on this rainy night. The great Mike Silver sat in the row in front of me. Once in a while he'd let the refs know his displeasure. Speaking of he refs, they added to the quality of the game by actually letting the players determine the outcome.

Great win! It is nice to see the team bounce back after a disappointing performance at Duke and a closer then expected win at Northwestern. This was a really big game against a quality ranked opponent. It is great to see the team rise to the occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Shocky1 View Post

at halftime as the bears run off the court they pass thru the hallway which is cordoned off to allow them to pass and head downstairs...a 10 year old girl with a green sweater and pink bow in her hair high fives the cal players as they run by...brittney boyd stops for 2 seconds and holds her hand a second longer than you would expect and looks her right in the eyes with a smile...bb then continues on and this girl looks at her hand, puts her hand over her mouth, and then radiates an amazing wide smile and skips off

fast forward to the end of the game, same place..gennifer brandon runs by and bends down 2 feet to meet the same girl's eyes and asks her if she is related to anyone on the team...the girl shyly says no but starts to smile again, gb thinks she is part of the bears family!

go bears
    Oh, my, Shocky--that was our daughter about 10 years ago: she'd wait at the same spot to smile at all the players, hand Emmelie Geraedts some candy, and chat with Kiki Williams, whom she thought just about perfect. Am I completely biased, or do Cal players tend to be unusually kind, decent people, roster after roster? Anyway, excellent role models for our kids and grandkids.

Quote Originally Posted by Shocky1 View Post
    impressive win, offense very fluid wiith only 11 turnovers, in tonight's victory over a well coached and senior leadersship jayhawk team....

go bears
    +1

I think the quality of young women Cal recruits is reflected in these examples. Coach Gotlieb stresses "community" to her players, and that value provides another off-the-court opportunity for Cal to demonstrate excellence.

A little respect from ESPN.