Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Support staff

Support staff

Has there been any news on strength and conditioning or the rope coach? Are they being retained or is Sonny bringing in new guys for these spots?

Blasquez is to remain for now but will be assessed for fit with coaching staff as they work with players in the coming weekes and is subject to change.

The "rope coach" is Kevin Parker and he's a recruiting coordinator. He's been retained, as have most of the support staff. He's an important bridge between players and coaches and is always a trusted confidante to many players on the team each year.

He's also probably the main person responsible for Marshawn ending up at Cal as well as several other players and is worthy of more respect than the rope guy tag many have put on him.

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    Blasquez is to remain for now but will be assessed for fit with coaching staff as they work with players in the coming weekes and is subject to change.

The "rope coach" is Kevin Parker and he's a recruiting coordinator. He's been retained, as have most of the support staff. He's an important bridge between players and coaches and is always a trusted confidante to many players on the team each year.

He's also probably the main person responsible for Marshawn ending up at Cal as well as several other players and is worthy of more respect than the rope guy tag many have put on him.
    Thanks MB for speaking more about Parker, as not being just the "rope guy". I've read a fair amount about him, and he seems like one heck of man. I'm glad that he is still on board...

Blasquez has a following, including NFL players who swear by him; and not just former Cal greats. I'd like to think he's a gem, but if there is someone more appropriate for this team now, I suppose we should welcome a change there too... The importance of cardio and stamina in this offense cannot be denied. Traditionally, such routines have conflicted with strength training, and the building of mass. We want to get bigger on the lines, and move with increased pace... Should be interesting. To accomplish both, I see the Cal team out-eating all others, lol.
    The University of California - One of the finest universities in the world, is the oldest public university in our great state with origins dating back to 1855, and university status granted in 1868. Go Bears!

Thanks for the update MB.
    Kevin Parker staying is HUGE. Love the guy, and he's an important part of the recruiting success.
    Is McGraw staying too I hope? He's a great asset as well to our recruiting.

Yes, Andrew McGraw is the director of player personnel and will be taking on a lot of the responsibilities of the former director of football operations, Mike McHugh along with someone Dykes brought from La Tech.

FlashingScriptCal Kevin & Andrew are great...

Both have gone out of their way to assist with community based programs -grid camps etc. They are first class people person's.Kevin has a son that will be a very good football player.

Ben Lomond, a small town outside of Santa Cruz in the mountains

probably wrong thread

I'm still confused about QB coach. Is that going to be Franklin?

Yes, Franklin
    two graduate assistants Ben Steele and Matt Wiegan, they work with o-line and TE's and seem to have the hearts of the guys ... plus there is a crazy story about a red-headed unpaid grunt with the last name Haney, he literally begged last year to work for free and slept in his car, Genyk gave him a shot for free, basically you get a polo shirt as your pay. Some how he made the 'travel' squad because i saw him at Oregon State on TV, it is a RUDY story and I had to laugh that after Coach Tedford was relieved and and the entire staff I saw Haney still hanging around, who would have thought that... do you know who I am talking about? Also what about Steele and Wiegan?

Yeah, Haney's kind of a red-headed Zack Galifanakis. Lots of guys get their starts like him.

Wiegan and Steele are still on staff.

KP [ Kevin Parker ] is not only a great guy, excellent help for Andrew but also an accomplished artist. Glad he's staying.

Quote Originally Posted by mcd59 View Post
    KP [ Kevin Parker ] is not only a great guy, excellent help for Andrew but also an accomplished artist. Glad he's staying.
    Further support for KP here. He is a great guy, as is McGraw.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal89 View Post
    Thanks MB for speaking more about Parker, as not being just the "rope guy". I've read a fair amount about him, and he seems like one heck of man. I'm glad that he is still on board...

Blasquez has a following, including NFL players who swear by him; and not just former Cal greats. I'd like to think he's a gem, but if there is someone more appropriate for this team now, I suppose we should welcome a change there too... The importance of cardio and stamina in this offense cannot be denied. Traditionally, such routines have conflicted with strength training, and the building of mass. We want to get bigger on the lines, and move with increased pace... Should be interesting. To accomplish both, I see the Cal team out-eating all others, lol.
    I'm absolutely shocked that Blasquez is still around. Blasquez may have a following around the high school scene but he's woefully unqualifed to be a college head S&C coach. I'd be curious to hear, Cal89, what NFL players "swear by him" and I'd be willing to bet that for every supporter of Blasquez, there are about 10 around the business that would consider him a joke.

Football Staff

What's the word on Bulldog?

Deputy Dawg is still here.

Now he has to let everyone in, though.