Thread: Props to Richard Solo

True Blue Golden Bear

Props to Richard Solo

We so often rag on him but solid games the last 2 for Richard. Will be really interested to see how he responds to the challenge in the So Cal trip.

Loyal Bear
    +1 Looks like Solo is finally breaking out...well lets hope so. Saw a couple really nice moves by him besides the points.
    Last edited by beelzebear; 12-22-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebear View Post
    +1 Looks like Solo is finally breaking out...well lets hope so. Saw a couple really nice moves by him besides the points.
    +2. A very nice game for Richard. Well done.

Real Bear
    I agree. He has looked good in these two games. I can't help but worry that he won't be able to sustain it against better competition, but I am certainly rooting for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearprof View Post
    I agree. He has looked good in these two games. I can't help but worry that he won't be able to sustain it against better competition, but I am certainly rooting for him.
    Thanks Bearprof, after all this Solomon back-patting I needed a cold bucket of water in the face.

Loyal Bear
    Bearprof, how dare you wonder if there was some connection between Richard's performances and the level of competition in the last two games!

Real Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    Bearprof, how dare you wonder if there was some connection between Richard's performances and the level of competition in the last two games!
    Amazing how distorted people's memories can become in such a short time:

Solomon vs. soon-to-be-lottery-pick Anthony Bennett: 14pts. 8 rebounds.
    Solomon vs. UCSB (one of the last two games): 4 pts. 4 rebounds.

Solomon tonight: 18 points, 9 rebounds.

Somebody sees what he did tonight, imagines that he did that against Santa Barbara, concludes that he can't do it against top competition, forgetting that he did do very well against the toughest competition he'll see all year...

Sheesh, people. Do a little fact checking before you go ragging on our players.

Loyal Bear
    How is it ragging on Richard to express caution about Richard?

I readily concede that Richard has shown some good signs. I applaud him for his improving.

Interesting stats that you cite. Consistency? Not apparent.

I have not seen enough of Bennet to comment on his defense. What jumped out in seeing him against us was his offense.

I am sorry that expressing any uncertainty about what Richard will bring to conference play bothered you or anyone else.

Go Richard! Go Bears!

Nice numbers, but nothing of value to be gained from his performance. PVA&M is one of the worst teams in the country. If you watched the game you'd think Jeff Powers should be playing 20 minutes a game. They're that much worse than anyone we've played.

Solomon needs to impose his will against Harvard and UCLA. No one on either of those teams is good enough to hold him down.

Real Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by LessMilesMoreTedford View Post
    ..If you watched the game you'd think Jeff Powers should be playing 20 minutes a game. They're that much worse than anyone we've played.
    Powers isn't bad. As a sophomore he gave us three straight games of double figure points when Crabbe went out with his concussion. If we needed him to he'd play 20 minutes and be solid, maybe even an improvement over our current rotation.

Powers went to Monty at the start of the season and said he wanted his role to be mainly watching video of opponents and serving on the scout team. That's partly him being unselfish and doing what's best for the team and partly him preparing to be a coach after he graduates.

So don't be a **** and disrespect Jeff Powers.

Quote Originally Posted by R90 View Post
    If we needed him to he'd play 20 minutes and be solid, maybe even an improvement over our current rotation.
    I'm pretty sure he would be in the rotation if that were the case.

Real Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Civil Bear View Post
    I'm pretty sure he would be in the rotation if that were the case.
    If it was a clear cut difference... sure. I think we would be marginally better right now with Powers playing some focused minutes. Powers has played both on the wing and in the post this year in small amounts.

Getting Wallace and the bigs more time to work on their games has been a bigger priority. It's also an advantage having a guy like Powers focusing on helping the starters prepare for their next game.

interesting

Monty likes that Powers is a smart player who knows the offense. I like that he is a good spot up shooter. What I don't like is his lateral quickness. If he can stay in front of his man, then I think he should be in the rotation (depending on matchups, game situation, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by R90 View Post
    Powers isn't bad. As a sophomore he gave us three straight games of double figure points when Crabbe went out with his concussion. If we needed him to he'd play 20 minutes and be solid, maybe even an improvement over our current rotation.

Powers went to Monty at the start of the season and said he wanted his role to be mainly watching video of opponents and serving on the scout team. That's partly him being unselfish and doing what's best for the team and partly him preparing to be a coach after he graduates.

So don't be a **** and disrespect Jeff Powers.
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez