Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Bird/Salesian Beats Gordon/Mitty

  1. #1
    Real Bear
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,862

    Bird/Salesian Beats Gordon/Mitty

    http://www.mercurynews.com/high-scho...ake-down-mitty

    But the showdown ended up being a mismatch, one that sent fans headed for the exits midway through the fourth quarter as Salesian (7-1) opened a 66-36 lead...

    At one point, Bird stole the ball from Gordon underneath the basket at one end and glided for a dunk at the other...

    ...college coaches to courtside seats, including Cal's Mike Montgomery, who will coach Bird next season.

  2. #2
    Active Bear
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by R90 View Post
    http://www.mercurynews.com/high-scho...ake-down-mitty

    But the showdown ended up being a mismatch, one that sent fans headed for the exits midway through the fourth quarter as Salesian (7-1) opened a 66-36 lead...

    At one point, Bird stole the ball from Gordon underneath the basket at one end and glided for a dunk at the other...

    ...college coaches to courtside seats, including Cal's Mike Montgomery, who will coach Bird next season.
    I was rooting for Bird, but do not short change Gordon... He is a top notch HS player.... early in game, Gordon on Bird, his foot speed, jumping ability gave Bird problems... (a few TO and bad missed shots by Bird due to Gordon's D) Bird settled down after the first 4 minutes of game and had a fine overall game...and Salesian's overall players were just better than Mitty's. Bird's final stat line of: 19 points, 10 rebounds... in 27 minutes... and team coasted to 20 point win over 2 time state d2 champion in Mitty, very impressive win for Salesian.

    link to vid highlights of game:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=489qv10XK_g
    Last edited by gobears; 12-23-2012 at 02:19 PM.

  3. #3
    Active Bear
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    126
    Those are awesome video highlights.

    Here is a more comprehensive perspective from the stands.

    http://youtu.be/iMU6vvl-boI

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Golden Bear HoopDreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,005

    thx

    thanks for the additional highlights. Both players are elite.

    Quote Originally Posted by dakyne View Post
    Those are awesome video highlights.

    Here is a more comprehensive perspective from the stands.

    http://youtu.be/iMU6vvl-boI
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

  6. #6
    Bird is going to be awesome for Cal. Unfortunately Gordon will not be

  7. #7
    Active Bear
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfurdbites View Post
    Bird is going to be awesome for Cal. Unfortunately Gordon will not be
    I was talking to a div. 1 asst. coach and a former div. 1 player and they both agree Bird is elite, not just skill-wise, but he's a smart player with a well-rounded game.

    That Dunn kid is a steal for Montana.

    Gordon's one weakness appears to be his perimeter shot and free throws. That will get cleaned up no matter where he ends up: UW, U of A, or Kentucky.

  8. #8
    True Blue Golden Bear
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,851

    Basketball AG always has had difficuly converting FTs...

    Too bad that he'll not play w/ Bird at Cal. GO BEARS!

  9. #9
    Active Bear
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by dakyne View Post
    I was talking to a div. 1 asst. coach and a former div. 1 player and they both agree Bird is elite, not just skill-wise, but he's a smart player with a well-rounded game.

    That Dunn kid is a steal for Montana.

    Gordon's one weakness appears to be his perimeter shot and free throws. That will get cleaned up no matter where he ends up: UW, U of A, or Kentucky.
    Gordon was 1 for 4 in FT while Bird was 6 for 6.... What I noticed was Gordon's arc shooting FT was too high... (the apex height of ball relative to the 10 foot rim was a few feet too high)... Release point of each player is different due to each players height, but the top height of ball of any player should be about same and degree angle the ball takes once on it's decent should be about the same for any player. This high arc makes it harder to be accurate... Watching Gordon a few times over the past few years, he has improved his form on his J, specifically his J from behind the 3pt line.

    Bird had nice form/arc/rotation on his FT's.
    Last edited by gobears; 12-24-2012 at 03:18 PM.

  10. #10
    Loyal Bear jyamada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Oakland
    Posts
    2,641
    Quote Originally Posted by gobears View Post
    Gordon was 1 for 4 in FT while Bird was 6 for 6.... What I noticed was Gordon's arc shooting FT was too high... (the apex height of ball relative to the 10 foot rim was a few feet too high)... Release point of each player is different due to each players height, but the top height of ball of any player should be about same and degree angle the ball takes once on it's decent should be about the same for any player. This high arc makes it harder to be accurate... Watching Gordon a few times over the past few years, he has improved his form on his J, specifically his J from behind the 3pt line.

    Bird had nice form/arc/rotation on his FT's.
    One other thing about both Bird and Gordon.....they are unselfish players and are pretty good passers. Saw some nice assists by both Saturday night.

  11. #11
    Loyal Bear WantARoseBowlB4IDie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Havertown, PA (outside Philly)
    Posts
    3,708

    As a proud Mitty alum...

    Quote Originally Posted by R90 View Post
    http://www.mercurynews.com/high-scho...ake-down-mitty

    But the showdown ended up being a mismatch, one that sent fans headed for the exits midway through the fourth quarter as Salesian (7-1) opened a 66-36 lead...

    At one point, Bird stole the ball from Gordon underneath the basket at one end and glided for a dunk at the other...

    ...college coaches to courtside seats, including Cal's Mike Montgomery, who will coach Bird next season.
    ... hard to root against my Monarchs, but I'm glad to see Bird looking SO impressive against top competition! Wow, I think he's going to do his dad one better as a Bear - what a BEAST!

    GO BEARS!!!

  12. #12
    Golden Bear
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,242
    Quote Originally Posted by gobears View Post
    Gordon was 1 for 4 in FT while Bird was 6 for 6.... What I noticed was Gordon's arc shooting FT was too high... (the apex height of ball relative to the 10 foot rim was a few feet too high)... Release point of each player is different due to each players height, but the top height of ball of any player should be about same and degree angle the ball takes once on it's decent should be about the same for any player. This high arc makes it harder to be accurate... Watching Gordon a few times over the past few years, he has improved his form on his J, specifically his J from behind the 3pt line.

    Bird had nice form/arc/rotation on his FT's.
    gobears: Could you sign up to help the WBB team. It is a teachable routine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •