Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Totally Outcoached

Totally Outcoached

Jim Harbaugh was totally and thoroughly outcoached by Pete Carroll tonight. The Niners laid a giant turd on a night that they needed to continue building momentum for the playoffs. They have now likely lost their bye for the first round of the playoffs. Injuries to Manningham and Vernon Davis don't help things, although Davis may be back in a week or two. The team just didn't look like they were ready to play, and Tarrel Brown and Carlos Rogers repeatedly got torched by Wilson and the Seahawk receivers. They have to be two of the most overrated cornerbacks in the NFL. This blowout will hurt for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden One View Post
    Jim Harbaugh was totally and thoroughly outcoached by Pete Carroll tonight. The Niners laid a giant turd on a night that they needed to continue building momentum for the playoffs. They have now likely lost their bye for the first round of the playoffs. Injuries to Manningham and Vernon Davis don't help things, although Davis may be back in a week or two. The team just didn't look like they were ready to play, and Tarrel Brown and Carlos Rogers repeatedly got torched by Wilson and the Seahawk receivers. They have to be two of the most overrated cornerbacks in the NFL. This blowout will hurt for awhile.
    Ridiculous, he beat hoody last week and has owned Carrol for the several years, including out coaching him 8 weeks ago. Game got way from us , pouring rain, block kick, it happens. We will beat Arizona and if we see Seattle again it will be by the bay.

1. The Niners were clearly drained after such a tough and emotional game at New England.
    2. The Seahawks had more to play for, and it showed. Yes, the Niners could have clinched the division and/or stayed in position for a first-round bye, but they had already clinched a playoff berth and Seattle hadn't.
    3. Seahawks were at home, which is always a big advantage for them.
    4. The Niners defense isn't the same without Justin Smith, who is the cornerstone up front.

This result was pretty predictable. I didn't think the margin would be this big, but I was not surprised by the loss. I also don't think it says much about future playoff prospects either. What may hurt the Niners are the injuries, not this loss specifically.

"Outcoached" is meaningless when it comes to one game. Did Harbaugh make any specific strategic decisions that lost it? I don't think so. One group of professionals played better than the other group, and got most of the breaks too. It's the NFL, it happens -- a head coach can only be judged on a full season's results, not one game.

Laundry?

Same maker.

Whatever it was...it sure look liked Cal

Quote Originally Posted by Bear_Territory View Post
    With Marshawn running (Mebane stuffing their run) , and a furdie coaching the other team, it seemed like a visitation from the ghost of the happy Cal past, a vision of the future with Sonny.

Hope there were lots and lots of fusky recruits and commits looking at the wonderful weather and how people futilely dressed to ward off the intense downpour.
    That was a visitation of the ghost of their future unless they repent and change. Dark, so cold, so wet, so dismal in uDuh land.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear_Territory View Post
    So maybe that is the nature of football and not all coach Tedford

Quote Originally Posted by bearblast View Post
    Except Tedford averaged a blowout loss in 30% of his games the last few years, not just one or two.

It would only look like Cal if the 49ers did this week after week and never beat any of the top teams. Clearly that has not been the case this season.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCalVa View Post
    With Marshawn running (Mebane stuffing their run) , and a furdie coaching the other team, it seemed like a visitation from the ghost of the happy Cal past, a vision of the future with Sonny.

Hope there were lots and lots of fusky recruits and commits looking at the wonderful weather and how people futilely dressed to ward off the intense downpour.
    That was a visitation of the ghost of their future unless they repent and change. Dark, so cold, so wet, so dismal in uDuh land.
    Sooo +1

Quote Originally Posted by sycasey View Post
    1. The Niners were clearly drained after such a tough and emotional game at New England.
    2. The Seahawks had more to play for, and it showed. Yes, the Niners could have clinched the division and/or stayed in position for a first-round bye, but they had already clinched a playoff berth and Seattle hadn't.
    3. Seahawks were at home, which is always a big advantage for them.
    4. The Niners defense isn't the same without Justin Smith, who is the cornerstone up front.

This result was pretty predictable. I didn't think the margin would be this big, but I was not surprised by the loss. I also don't think it says much about future playoff prospects either. What may hurt the Niners are the injuries, not this loss specifically.

"Outcoached" is meaningless when it comes to one game. Did Harbaugh make any specific strategic decisions that lost it? I don't think so. One group of professionals played better than the other group, and got most of the breaks too. It's the NFL, it happens -- a head coach can only be judged on a full season's results, not one game.
    The only way I would say "outcoached" still depends - it seems like Seattle is using Wilson better, where SF is not playing to CK strengths. But I wonder if they are using these games to practice CKs weaknesses, so that maybe they aren't come playoff time. One thing for sure, guys have his escape move in the pocket down - he ALWAYS spins back and away in the direction the rush is coming from. Seahawks ate that up. Wilson is completely unpredictable in his scramble.

Quote Originally Posted by biely medved View Post
    The only way I would say "outcoached" still depends - it seems like Seattle is using Wilson better, where SF is not playing to CK strengths. But I wonder if they are using these games to practice CKs weaknesses, so that maybe they aren't come playoff time. One thing for sure, guys have his escape move in the pocket down - he ALWAYS spins back and away in the direction the rush is coming from. Seahawks ate that up. Wilson is completely unpredictable in his scramble.
    A fair point, though again it's also true that Wilson has been playing the whole season while Kaepernick has only played about half. He's probably learned more in that time.

Niners only mustered 13 points in both games against Seattle, so I think the take away is Seattle's defense is pretty good no matter where they play. Seattle is peaking at the right time as is Green Bay...it's going to be an interesting NFC playoffs for ex-Bears!!

Quote Originally Posted by sycasey View Post
    A fair point, though again it's also true that Wilson has been playing the whole season while Kaepernick has only played about half. He's probably learned more in that time.
    Absolutely, plus Wilson got a whole lot a lot earlier in preseason, where Kaep got relatively little PT. To say JH (who I'm not a huge fan of, but I also think Petey is a complete d%^&wad) got outcoached is to underestimate what it takes to win in the NFL. A road game following a road game 3500 miles away where the D was in on 92 plays in bad weather against the best team in the AFL, having lost your D mvp, at a stadium with hot team and a huge homefield advantage, in bad weather again, starting a QB in his 6th game - well, that's just not a loss that is too much of a surprise. Not an excuse, just not a shock, and not a sign of a poor coaching job.

It's interesting to see the split amongst Cal fans and the real hate for harbaugh and the 9ers. It's like we're all Obama fans, but are willing to go to war about Pelosi and Biden and Reed, and some of us like Boehner and McConnell.

True Blue Golden Bear Phantomfan's Avatar
    True, one out of 16 thrashings were not Tedford