Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cal will have RB throwing out of the Wildcat!

Cal will have RB throwing out of the Wildcat!

Okay, so I have no idea whether this is true. But suppose next Fall, you read this here on BI, or some other site where a reporter-type has watched (now open) practice.
    You don't care if the "beans are spilled"? Did the said reporter cross the line? Just part of having open practice, and let's just see if the other team can stop it?
    I have mixed emotions on the topic, so I thought I would throw it out..

True Blue Golden Bear Phantomfan's Avatar
    The wildcat only really works if there is a threat of a throw or some other wrinkle.

Otherwise it is the most telegraphed play possible. Worse than a Tedford 3rd and 15 draw.

I have previously suggested....

That with so many QBs, on some plays put Boehm in as a running back and after a run or two, he could surprise the defense with a pass. He is a big, strong runner.

The whole point of a good offense is

to be able to take what the defense gives you. So...it doesn't matter if they know all the possible plays we COULD run...we run the play that will work best against that particular defense. I hope reporters who see practice write about all sorts of plays we COULD run.

Funny this topic came up. I happened to watch an old Vince Lombardi video where he describes his famous power sweep. He then went on to describe three other plays that were counters to the sweep. Lombardi's teams were going to run that sweep but even he knew that you needed to be able to counter a defense that overcommitted to stopping it. You think Lombardi cared if anyone saw his practice where they ran that sweep about 100 times?

Quote Originally Posted by longseeker View Post
    That with so many QBs, on some plays put Boehm in as a running back and after a run or two, he could surprise the defense with a pass. He is a big, strong runner.
    By definition the Wildcat has the snap go to the RB. Putting a QB in the backfield just makes it like any other play run by a mobile QB that isn't directly under center.

So you're saying that the guy that the ball is snapped to might run OR throw the ball? shocking. that single piece of information will make or break a whole game.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomfan View Post
    The wildcat only really works if there is a threat of a throw or some other wrinkle.

Otherwise it is the most telegraphed play possible. Worse than a Tedford 3rd and 15 draw.
    In fact, the third and fifteen play referred to should be renamed just the Tedford!
    "Kline gives to Bigelow on a Tedford, and it is stopped for no gain!"

"That play still does not work, Joe."

Okay, so get past the specifics of the example...let it be that Cal has so and so throw in the punt formation when he is in the game blocking.
    Or pick your own example, or are you (or anyone)saying you don't care how much detail comes out in the practice reports?

Dykes had his team run 3 fake punts against eventual BCS champion Florida and converted all 3. He also converted 11 that year. Don't you think his opponents knew he could fake punt it by looking at the GAME TAPE? And yet he still converted. It's about execution. paranoia comes when you know you have no advantage and are grasping at straws.

Just gives the opposition more plays to prepare for

Reasonable point. I'm just throwing out the dialogue-I don't necessarily disagree, and again, if a reporter throws out a new wrinkle (ie. one that hasn't been seen to that point) is everyone going not care...

I think Tedford did the hb option but due to usually Tedford horrible execution, they didn't do it much anymore

Yep, I get that. But let's say he ran sweep but in practice showed an end around off of it. I would be willing to argue that there were no reporters talking about what they saw in practice with Vince Lombardi, and obviously no internet sites trying to update every hour.
    But, I still like your point overall. I guess my OP was designed to be showing something way out of the ordinary, the reporting of something not ever shown by the team ti that point?
    I guess I am skeptical that the "let them watch" maintains its enthusiasm once the posts begin (from Sonny and maybe some fans.) I could be way off here, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomfan View Post

Particularly true of how Cal ran the wildcat a few years ago, having Isi run a fly sweep but never handed off or lateraled the ball to him.

It's been stated multiple times that the keys to Sonny's offense are three fold: 1) tempo/pace, 2) post-snap read, and 3) execution. Since the post-snap read is so important, what can the opposition learn from practices that will help them in the game? Let's assume they do know what's coming, how does that help them when the QB runs the play based upon what the defense actually does, not what they know? In my book this sounds like advantage Bears.