Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cal will have RB throwing out of the Wildcat!

Good response, and you got the essence of post. Does my hypothetical hold up for Special Teams, and surprise plays on that end?

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by mbBear View Post
    Reasonable point. I'm just throwing out the dialogue-I don't necessarily disagree, and again, if a reporter throws out a new wrinkle (ie. one that hasn't been seen to that point) is everyone going not care...
    Tedford's problem, and much to our dismay, was that he dealt in absolutes. After that Blogger from a "rival" site posted all those practice details, tedford freaked out and started wearing that tin foiled hat. Is it too much hope to expect these "reporters" to have a little discretion when reporting on practices?

Quote Originally Posted by tommie317 View Post
    I think Tedford did the hb option but due to usually Tedford horrible execution, they didn't do it much anymore
    Off the top of my head I remember us doing that during the Michigan State game in 2008 and Vereen throwing it at the goal line at ASU and having Burfict nearly pick it off.

Good response, and you got the essence of post. Does my hypothetical hold up for Special Teams, and surprise plays on that end?
    In my opinion, that depends on whether or not fake punts/fg and surprise plays are run out of the base formation by the basic personnel. For example, if a fake punt is only run when Player X is on the field, and/or Player X is only on the field when the fake punt is being run, then success will be dubious at best because the defense will know what's coming. But if the same basic formations & players are used in all punting situations then the defense has more to worry about because the play can go either way and has an equal chance of being a fake or a punt based upon formation & personnel.

GH,
    But if Dykes gives a "we have nothing to hide" statement, I kind of see at least one reporter (especially someone trying to make a name, drive internet traffic, etc) not really following your discretion model...what then?

Quote Originally Posted by Cal79 View Post
    It's been stated multiple times that the keys to Sonny's offense are three fold: 1) tempo/pace, 2) post-snap read, and 3) execution. Since the post-snap read is so important, what can the opposition learn from practices that will help them in the game? Let's assume they do know what's coming, how does that help them when the QB runs the play based upon what the defense actually does, not what they know? In my book this sounds like advantage Bears.
    This is why the new look Bears will be so much more fun to watch as long as they can execute the offense as it is drawn up. They come to the LOS with a set of plays designed to exploit the weakest part of the defense. I guess this could mean a long afternoon for the weakest defender (or the one coming off an injury).

Quote Originally Posted by GBMARIN View Post
    In fact, the third and fifteen play referred to should be renamed just the Tedford!
    "Kline gives to Bigelow on a Tedford, and it is stopped for no gain!"

"That play still does not work, Joe."
    more accurate transcript:

"The QB drops back and, well the tailback who, I think that's, oh no! And that was just awful, the Tedford really isn't working for the Bears this afternoon. Bigelow, the ball carrier on that run."

"That play still does not work, Joe."

True Blue Golden Bear Phantomfan's Avatar
    Okay, so get past the specifics of the example...let it be that Cal has so and so throw in the punt formation when he is in the game blocking.
    Or pick your own example, or are you (or anyone)saying you don't care how much detail comes out in the practice reports?
    I have seen teams with open practices... no, it does not matter... especially with simple effective playbooks

I'm hoping you are right. I think its still evolving in the blogging age, and will be curious if there are at least "suggested" guidelines by Sonny and his staff come the Spring and Fall. If not, then that's very cool, and let's see how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Cal79 View Post
    It's been stated multiple times that the keys to Sonny's offense are three fold: 1) tempo/pace, 2) post-snap read, and 3) execution. Since the post-snap read is so important, what can the opposition learn from practices that will help them in the game? Let's assume they do know what's coming, how does that help them when the QB runs the play based upon what the defense actually does, not what they know? In my book this sounds like advantage Bears.
    " ... bait the enemy, pretend you are weak, then crush him. If the enemy is ready, be ready for him. If your enemy is in superior strength, evade him. If the opponent is irritable, irritate him. Fake weakness to make him reckless. If he rests, give him no rest. If his forces are unified, divide them. Attack your opponent when he is unprepared and appear where you are least expected."
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCalVa View Post
    " ... bait the enemy, pretend you are weak, then crush him. If the enemy is ready, be ready for him. If your enemy is in superior strength, evade him. If the opponent is irritable, irritate him. Fake weakness to make him reckless. If he rests, give him no rest. If his forces are unified, divide them. Attack your opponent when he is unprepared and appear where you are least expected."
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    BearRaid football is gonna be fun!