Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who was the best player in the Tedford Era?

Quote Originally Posted by Calntheplay View Post
    It's unfortunate Rodgers never had an opportunity to throw a pass to Desean in College. That would have been one of the most lethal combinations in recent memory.
    Think about if Rodgers stayed for 2005, He would have thrown to Desean, Lavelle, Robert Jordan with Marshawn and Forsett in the backfield. With Mack at Center. That offense would have been the most dangerous offense in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by pnaidu View Post
    Think about if Rodgers stayed for 2005, He would have thrown to Desean, Lavelle, Robert Jordan with Marshawn and Forsett in the backfield. With Mack at Center. That offense would have been the most dangerous offense in the country.
    I've always felt it cost the football team a RoseBowl. We suffered through Ayoob and the team still racked up wins on the run alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Calntheplay View Post
    It was hard for me to put Lynch behind Best and Desean. I cannot remember a time when Marshawn was ever shut down. He was always the most respected and feared offensive Weapon in the Pac-10. It was known that teams would always have 8 in the box when Marshawn was on the field, and he still gained his yards and left people diving at his ankles.

Best on the other hand would usually exploit poor defensive teams and inflate his numbers due to his speed. Often times when he went against quality defensive teams, he was shut down. He just never had the lower and upper body strength to carry people, and break tackles in the way that Lynch did, nor did anyone ever expect him to.

Desean was also shut down in several games. Often times this was due to poor QB play and teams bracketing him. Not to mention no team would ever punt to him. But he just never brought the consistency that Lynch brought to every game.
    +1

Did Jahvid have any good games vs. good teams (other than that Tennessee game)? I don't remember.

I remember DeSean being really good in the Oregon games in 2006 and 2007 (both ranked teams). Plus, the 2007 Tennessee game.

Quote Originally Posted by biely medved View Post
    Wasn't here for AR so would probably go with Alex Mack and maybe Marcus Ezeff forced fumble against Oregon that saved / won that game.
    that Ezeff hit was the all time best hit of the Tedford era, even better than Follett laying down the pain on Ainge. only reason I say this is because it was done in their home with Oregon on the verge of the top ranking in 2007.

watching the entirety of Autzen stadium stfu is unforgettable. the dead silence and the rain starting immediately after the hit was the best Cal experience.

if you've ever been to Autzen stadium you know how effing annoying it is to hear their announcer and all their fans say at the beginning of the game "it never rains in Autzen". taunting NikeU fans with chants of "it's raining in Autzen!" = priceless

Quote Originally Posted by okaydo View Post
    Keenan will become the first Cal player drafted to not experience a Big Game victory since Scott Fujita.
    But does Allen care, or did he ever?

He has the receiving record which should have a large asterisk

* thanks to bro ZM

Quote Originally Posted by Cal_Fan2 View Post
    Yup....AR gets all the accolades but why I said Alex Mack is that he was a 3 time First Team All Pac 10 (2006-2008) and won the Morris Trophy (best offensive and defensive lineman) in both 2007 and 2008, something not done since Lincoln Kennedy did it for UDub in 91-92. He simply was more dominant at his position IMO then anyone else at their respective positions. When defensive lineman were polled on who was the most dominant offensive lineman, he won hands down in multiple years.
    Agree ... Mack was the Best of the Best at his position and he was preceded by some good ones.
    A real STUDENT-athlete who excelled through applied smarts and hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by boredom View Post
    Rodgers should be the winner hands down but he only played 1.5 years here.
    Okay, that's fair. Probably the only real argument for not picking Rodgers.

Why is there not more love for JJ Arrington? That 2000 yard season was amazing (and he still got no Heisman love). I guess it was really only one year.

Bryan Anger.

Jk, if we're talking best player it has to be Aaron Rodgers without question.

If we're talking MVP most impact on a program I'd have to go with Marshawn Lynch.

Quote Originally Posted by pnaidu View Post
    Since the Dykes Era has officially begun, who was Tedford's best?

I'd say its between Desean, Marshawn, Rodgers, Keenan, Jahvid, Pre-Injury Longshore, Squid, Cam Jordan, Tyson Alualu, Follett, Mohammed, Arrington, McArthur, Jones, Bishop, Hawkins, Kendricks, Fujita, Hughes, Decoud, Mack, Anger, Mebane, Nnamdi, Vereen or Forsett.
    Alex Mack.

This one isn't even close for me.

Aaron

Rodgers was the principle spark that energized the fanbase and administration....without him I doubt we get the SAHPC, a remodeled CMS, land a stud recruit like D-JAX, maybe Best, and prolly Tedford does not get a sweet contract extension.
    Last edited by RollinBear; 12-25-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Agree with everyone saying Alex Mack. This isn't about the best player in the NFL. Mack was an absolute monster in college and played (I know that he redshirted) for 4 years. Mack also wasn't highly recruited and actually developed under Tedford.

He also happens to be a great player in the NFL.

QB Aaron Rodgers
    RB marshawn lynch
    FB Mandarino
    OL Alex Mack tied with Left Tackle (early Tedford years then with the Patriots)???
    TE craig Stevens
    WR Desean MacArthur
    DL Brendon Mebane Ty Alualu
    LB Follett Fujita Kendrick's Desmond Bishop
    Saf Decoud Donny Mcclesky
    DB Squid
    Punter Anger
    Punt returner DEsean
    Field goal kicker Georgio T.
    Last edited by 6bear6; 12-25-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bear6 View Post
    QB Aaron Rodgers
    RB marshawn lynch
    FB Mandarino
    OL Alex Mack tied with Left Tackle (early Tedford years then with the Patriots)???
    TE craig Stevens
    WR Desean MacArthur
    DL Brendon Mebane Ty Alualu
    LB Follett Fujita Kendrick's Desmond Bishop
    Saf Decoud Donny Mcclesky
    DB Squid
    Punter Anger
    Punt returner DEsean
    Field goal kicker Georgio T.
    You probably are thinking of Ryan O'Calllaghan....another Morris Trophy winner who was one bad a$$ as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hanky1 View Post
    Alex Mack.

This one isn't even close for me.
    Agreed. Alex Mack. Considering all tangibles he was all around the most complete, looked up to student athlete.