Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Who was the best player in the Tedford Era?

Quote Originally Posted by okaydo View Post
    Yes, Nate Longshore does deserve a lot of credit for the Pac-10 co-championship and bringing us to No. 2 in the rankings.
    Yes the Holiday and Armed Services Bowl glory years.

Ben Lomond, a small town outside of Santa Cruz in the mountains
    I'll give you my picks per position-top 22 starters-based on leadership as well as performance. Also I only included players JT recruited and completed their careers at Cal because that would be only fair if we are going to use the term "JT era".

QB-Aaron Rogers
    RB- Marshawn Lynch
    RB- JJ Arrington
    TE- Craig Stevens
    WR-Keenan Allen
    WR- DeShawn Jackson
    WR- Lavelle Hawkins
    C- Alex Mack
    OG- Chris Guarnero
    OG- Matt Summers-Gavin
    OT- Mke Gibson
    OT- Mitchell Schwartz

P-Bryan Anger
    K-Tom Schneider
    KR-Jahvid Best

DE-Cameron Jordan
    DE-Tyson Alualu
    DT-Derrick Hill
    DT-Brandon Mebane
    ILB-Mychal Kendricks
    ILB-Desmond Bishop
    OLB-Anthony Felder
    OLB-Zack Follett
    CB-Syd'Quan Thompson
    CB-Tim Mixon
    S-Donnie McClesky (nickel)
    S-Matt Giordano
    S-Damian Hughes

PR-DeSean Jackson

Honorable Mentions: Marvin Jones (WR), Worrell Williams (ILB), Mike Mohamed (ILB), Justin Forsett (RB), Shane Vereen (RB), Marcus Ezeff (S), Andrew Larson (P), Thomas DeCoud (S), Garrett Cross (TE)

This was a very revealing exercise in that it showed that we had less great OLs than I thought and only 1 notable QB. It is clear that the JT years were characterized by strength at the following positions RB, LB and Safety. All these positions played better than expected based on recruiting rankings. But OL and QB played under their level. And Safety has leveled off in the last 3 years. We had a few great talents at WR as well, but I don't think they performed better than was expected.

Of all the above mentioned players only a few stand out to me:
    On Offense
    Aaron Rodgers (QB)
    Marshawn Lynch (RB)
    Jahvid Best (RB/KR)
    Alex Mack (C)

On Defense
    Mychal Kendricks (ILB)
    Desmond Bishop (ILB)
    Zack Follett (OLB)
    Damian Hughes (S)

Of these players if I had to pick just 1 on each side of the ball, it would be Mack (O) and Follett (D). All these picks are based on the players performance and leadership at Cal. If we include pro it would be ARod and Bishop respectively.

Based on Cal's current roster, I think it is likely that Cal would add some LBs to the current list of great players that were recruited by JT and played under him. I'm thinking of Forbes, McCain, Scarlett, Wilkerson, and Whiteside (if he returns).

My criteria is: Who would compel you to watch their every play, and save bathroom breaks for halftime?

That would be Marshawn.

Quote Originally Posted by BearyWhite View Post
    My criteria is: Who would compel you to watch their every play, and save bathroom breaks for halftime?

That would be Marshawn.
    I would put Best in that category too

Quote Originally Posted by sycasey View Post
    I can't believe there is even a question that it's someone other than Aaron Rodgers.
    AR was good but I could easily see an argument for someone who contributed at a high level for 4 full seasons, rather than 2.

My votes, heavily weighted for guys who were productive for 3-4 years:

a) Donte Hughes - started all 4 years. Game changer college corner, even if he never had the speed for the pros. Very instinctive ball hawk. If only the phantom PI wasn't called on him vs Arizona, he'd likely have a statue...

b) Justin Forsett - I was among those who, going into 2007, doubted he could replace Lynch. He did more than that.. his 07 season was better than Lynch's in 05 or 06. Couple that with a 1000 yard year as a backup in 2005 and plenty of big plays in 2006 (notably against A&M and Oregon in huge wins)... and he's up there.

c) Ryan O'Callaghan - best OL I saw at Cal. I wasn't here in 02' so I don't know what he did then, but he was the biggest piece (literally and figuratively) in a 2003-2005 Cal OL that was mauling and relentless.

Quote Originally Posted by SadbutTrue999 View Post
    AR was good but I could easily see an argument for someone who contributed at a high level for 4 full seasons, rather than 2.
    Yes, as I noted later I can see the argument for it being a player who played at Cal longer.

On the other hand, the BEST players are usually the ones who leave early, so I didn't really put much weight on longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by BearyWhite View Post

That would be Marshawn.
    I agree with this. Marshawn was it for me. He could really take over a game.

Can we have these 2 back

Quote Originally Posted by bigtuba1 View Post
    Mack, and it's not even close. Hughes, Harris, Best, and Jackson after that. Rodgers isn't in the top 10. We've forgotten what its like to have a good quarterback.
    ted.jpg

Ted and Joe.. Awesome. Albrecht was one of our Best OT's. And, well, Joe

my opinion is that the best player means who not only contributed the most but excited the most. The person that excited me the most is:
    1. Follett
    2. Marshawn/Jahvid
    4. Desean
    5. Hughes/Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by heartofthebear View Post
    I'll give you my picks per position-top 22 starters-based on leadership as well as performance. Also I only included players JT recruited and completed their careers at Cal because that would be only fair if we are going to use the term "JT era".

QB-Aaron Rogers
    RB- Marshawn Lynch
    RB- JJ Arrington
    TE- Craig Stevens
    WR-Keenan Allen
    WR- DeShawn Jackson
    WR- Lavelle Hawkins
    C- Alex Mack
    OG- Chris Guarnero
    OG- Matt Summers-Gavin
    OT- Mke Gibson
    OT- Mitchell Schwartz

P-Bryan Anger
    K-Tom Schneider
    KR-Jahvid Best

DE-Cameron Jordan
    DE-Tyson Alualu
    DT-Derrick Hill
    DT-Brandon Mebane
    ILB-Mychal Kendricks
    ILB-Desmond Bishop
    OLB-Anthony Felder
    OLB-Zack Follett
    CB-Syd'Quan Thompson
    CB-Tim Mixon
    S-Donnie McClesky (nickel)
    S-Matt Giordano
    S-Damian Hughes

PR-DeSean Jackson

Honorable Mentions: Marvin Jones (WR), Worrell Williams (ILB), Mike Mohamed (ILB), Justin Forsett (RB), Shane Vereen (RB), Marcus Ezeff (S), Andrew Larson (P), Thomas DeCoud (S), Garrett Cross (TE)

This was a very revealing exercise in that it showed that we had less great OLs than I thought and only 1 notable QB. It is clear that the JT years were characterized by strength at the following positions RB, LB and Safety. All these positions played better than expected based on recruiting rankings. But OL and QB played under their level. And Safety has leveled off in the last 3 years. We had a few great talents at WR as well, but I don't think they performed better than was expected.

Of all the above mentioned players only a few stand out to me:
    On Offense
    Aaron Rodgers (QB)
    Marshawn Lynch (RB)
    Jahvid Best (RB/KR)
    Alex Mack (C)

On Defense
    Mychal Kendricks (ILB)
    Desmond Bishop (ILB)
    Zack Follett (OLB)
    Damian Hughes (S)

Of these players if I had to pick just 1 on each side of the ball, it would be Mack (O) and Follett (D). All these picks are based on the players performance and leadership at Cal. If we include pro it would be ARod and Bishop respectively.

Based on Cal's current roster, I think it is likely that Cal would add some LBs to the current list of great players that were recruited by JT and played under him. I'm thinking of Forbes, McCain, Scarlett, Wilkerson, and Whiteside (if he returns).
    Agreed on your O & D standouts. Hughes played corner though. Also, I'd be inclined to add Ryan Riddle to the defensive standouts, and Gmac to offensive standouts, even though they weren't recruited by JT.
    Last edited by Calntheplay; 12-27-2012 at 02:57 PM.

I would have Decoud over Giordano