Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Assistant Coach positions remain to be filled?

What Assistant Coach positions remain to be filled?

Assuming we have an OL coach now. What position coach positions remain to be filled and what is the time frame on this?

Also when does Buh start working for us/recruiting for us? (I assume he is completely focused on the Rose Bowl currently)

MB suggested that SD will fill the last spot with a defensive coach. I would guess LB coach, but perhaps Buh wants to maintain that responsibility?

Assistant Head Coach for Bear Insider Relations.

Quote Originally Posted by TruffleShuffle View Post
    MB suggested that SD will fill the last spot with a defensive coach. I would guess LB coach, but perhaps Buh wants to maintain that responsibility?
    Buh is the DC as well as LB coach

He needs a defensive coach and in my opinion a pretty stout one from an X's and O's stand point. Although, I love the offensive hires, Buh is so-so in my opinion. The Furd defense surged after he left and his Nevada defenses were okay - nothing more.

Sonny has hired a lot more guys with Texas/South connections than I thought he would so my guess is he goes that way again. The best under the radar defensive coach in Texas is Sam Houston State DC Scott Stoker. He is coaching in the national championship game again and will be available 1-5-13. The guy can flat coach and Sonny must know of him. Frankly, there are a lot of Big 12 schools that would do well to pick him up as a DC. It would be politically risky for Sonny to bring him in as a DC from Sam Houston State but bring him in as Buh's right hand guy - he would bolster the staff and if Buh does not work out, you already have his replacement there familiar with the program and now with D1 experience.

I have heard nothing about this - it is a hunch but I think this would be a smart move.

I would guess the last hire on defense would be Buh's decision about who and what he would be coaching. This guy sounds like a talent, but the other guys Buh has picked have been people he knows and has worked with. I would expect that trend to continue, perhaps with somebody younger. It could be somebody with a Wisconsin connection to Buh, but more likely, I suspect somebody with a west coast connection to Buh.

Presumably a guy Buh knows from his time at Furd, Nevada or Wiscy based on all the hires so far. That of course does not really narrow it down, since we do not know for what position he intends to hire.

Based upon the hires so far, I think it's easy to guess that the next hire will also have a good reputation and record as a recruiter. Helluva change from just that one guy we had before, seemingly doing most of the recruiting on his own.
    Don't mean to hijack this thread to talk about recruiting but it will be interesting to see the class that faxes on LOI day. And next year.

Helmet possibly a cornerbacks coach...

Randy Stewart played CB in college but that was approximately 25 years ago. He'll coordinate the overall secondary and deal with the safeties (I hope). SD may just grab the top assistant available. GO BEARS!

____________________________________________________________ ____
    Quote Originally Posted by TruffleShuffle View Post

FlashingScriptCal The elephant in the room.

I have a concern.Aside from Ingram our running backs coach who looks like a great hire, do we have any other minority coaches? What about Thompson; he was a good recruiter/linebacker coach with Texas connections. This would free Buh up to be a true defensive coordinator.

Thompson hasn't been contacted by Cal so he would be highly unlikely to be added. Haven't heard if Ambrose has been contacted, though.

The last coach will definitely be a defensive coach. Dykes said it will likely be either another db or lb coach, possibly with additional responsibilities.

Stanford's defense was solid under Buh but you have to keep in mind that when he was there, the talent he was working with was far inferior to what it would be under Fangio and currently so it's hard to compare them. His stint was considered pretty successful. And even though Nevada's defenses weren't stellar, they were much better than before he came.

He was also highly-regarded at Wisconsin. He didn't move to Arkansas with Bielema because he took his UW DC with him. The DC position at Cal was a much better move than db coach at Arkansas.

The last coach will be a guy Buh's comfortable with, hopefully with a decent amount of input from Dykes.

Scott Stoker must be SR20's best friend because nobody else has ever heard of him. Also I'd much rather have a DC who's coached at Stanford, UNR and Wisc than Sam Houston State. Also he puts down Buh without ever knowing anything about him. All I can tell you is that Lyle Sentencich who SD asked for help with putting together his the defensive staff told SD to get Andy Buh if he could. I'd much rather take Lyle's recommendation than SR20s.

Quote Originally Posted by mcd59 View Post
    Scott Stoker must be SR20's best friend because nobody else has ever heard of him. Also I'd much rather have a DC who's coached at Stanford, UNR and Wisc than Sam Houston State. Also he puts down Buh without ever knowing anything about him. All I can tell you is that Lyle Sentencich who SD asked for help with putting together his the defensive staff told SD to get Andy Buh if he could. I'd much rather take Lyle's recommendation than SR20s.

Fair enough. Some good points.

I do think I was the first one to mention Thomsen on here - how many had heard of him before I mentioned him ?

As to Stoker, I am advocating hiring him to fill out the last spot. I acknowledge you cannot hire a DC from Sam Houston State. Indicated so in my post. Never met the man but someone is going to get a good defensive coach - would like to see it be Cal.

I do wonder if Buh is up to the task- time will tell on that one. I will ship you several pounds of great BBQ if I am wrong about Buh. After 2-3 years, you can make the call on it - deal?

Quote Originally Posted by slotright20 View Post
    Fair enough. Some good points.

I do think I was the first one to mention Thomsen on here - how many had heard of him before I mentioned him ?

As to Stoker, I am advocating hiring him to fill out the last spot. I acknowledge you cannot hire a DC from Sam Houston State. Indicated so in my post. Never met the man but someone is going to get a good defensive coach - would like to see it be Cal.

I do wonder if Buh is up to the task- time will tell on that one. I will ship you several pounds of great BBQ if I am wrong about Buh. After 2-3 years, you can make the call on it - deal?
    Slot, with great respect, I hope you lose!