Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is going on with David Kravish?

What is going on with David Kravish?

After a promising freshman season, Kravish is really struggling to avoid a sophomore slump.

Despite more minutes, his scoring is down and his near 60% from the field last year is now 43% this season. He's rebounding better and his assists are up but beyond the scoring challenges, his defense in the post has been turn style quality. He can't push anyone off wherever they want to be on the block and doesn't have the lateral quickness to keep up with quicker bigs.

Kravish is going to have a nice future at Cal. Smart, sneaky good athlete and a maturing physical presence. He'll be a nice #2 post for us. We could use some accelerated development from him this season, especially as we aren't strong up front.

Solomon, despite his lack of fundamentals and underwhelming Pro-Am summer () is clearly our best post player. He also needs to step up.

Thurman can help but against better and larger post players, he really struggles.

Beyond those three, we simply have no one.

1) He is Skinny
    2) He suffers from "Crabbs"...lack of aggression, can't create his own shot, leadership isn't his strong suit
    3) He is a Sophmore (slump)

He will get better by growing out of 1 and 3, but will never be much better in 2.

Loyal Bear

Kravish: Sophomore Slump?

Offensively David likely is missing both Harper and Jorge, as, of courses, does the entire team. Most of his scoring last year was from pretty close to the basket, from quick passes or put backs. He is getting less of the former and has not yet developed impressive post moves. Hence his offensive rhythm has suffered, so he is missing shots that he can make, when comfortable.

Defensively I see no regression and feel you have perhaps overstated his shortcomings.

Let's see how or if he progresses as hopefully our whole team progresses.

Is it really a sophomore slump when he is averaging almost two more rebounds than anyone did last year?

Looking at team stats from last and this year, our current assist to turnover ratio is 1; last year it was 1:33. David, on the other hand, has gone up from 0.56 to 1.2.

Go Bears!

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by CalHoopFan View Post
    After a promising freshman season, Kravish is really struggling to avoid a sophomore slump.

Despite more minutes, his scoring is down and his near 60% from the field last year is now 43% this season. He's rebounding better and his assists are up but beyond the scoring challenges, his defense in the post has been turn style quality. He can't push anyone off wherever they want to be on the block and doesn't have the lateral quickness to keep up with quicker bigs.

Kravish is going to have a nice future at Cal. Smart, sneaky good athlete and a maturing physical presence. He'll be a nice #2 post for us. We could use some accelerated development from him this season, especially as we aren't strong up front.

Solomon, despite his lack of fundamentals and underwhelming Pro-Am summer () is clearly our best post player. He also needs to step up.

Thurman can help but against better and larger post players, he really struggles.

There is nothing wrong with David Kravish that playing on Pete Newell's squad circa 1959 wouldn't fix. So says SFBEar.

Loyal Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    There is nothing wrong with David Kravish that playing on Pete Newell's squad circa 1959 wouldn't fix. So says SFBEar.
    Well, in fact, there is nothing "wrong" with David, period.

Unless there has been a change, David is following a pre-med curriculum, with the demands on his time that comes with that.

I have wondered if his academics have crimped the time he has outside of team practice to work on his game.

Go Bears!

Loyal Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    Well, in fact, there is nothing "wrong" with David, period.

Unless there has been a change, David is following a pre-med curriculum, with the demands on his time that comes with that.

I have wondered if his academics have crimped the time he has outside of team practice to work on his game.

Go Bears!
    I would venture to guess that with the athletic commitments plus academic commitments, David is busting his butt a hell of a lot more than any of us here.

Real Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by CALiforniALUM View Post
    1) He is Skinny
    2) He suffers from "Crabbs"...lack of aggression, can't create his own shot, leadership isn't his strong suit
    3) He is a Sophmore (slump)

He will get better by growing out of 1 and 3, but will never be much better in 2.
    1) Yes, he is skinny, but he is twenty pounds heavier than last year. It is all muscle. Remember last year when Richard Solomon had spent the summer in the weight room, gaining strength and bulk? It greatly affected his shooting touch, as he constantly put up the most uncoordinated looking shots that had only a prayer of going in, let alone hitting backboard or rim. This year Solomon has apparently not focused so much on the weights, but more on his offensive game, and his shooting touch is greatly improved. Likely this will happen to Kravish as well.

2) Kravish is MORE aggressive this year, especially on rebounding, and still plenty aggressive blocking shots. I also dislike the characterization of Crabbe as not being aggressive. He was not aggressive as a freshman. He was more aggressive as a sophomore, driving to the basket a lot, but making few of those shots. This year, he is making most of those shots, and as a result is driving more. He is more aggressive on defense this year, and he has always been a good rebounder for a wing.

As to Kravish creating his own shot, that is something you need in the NBA. It is not quite as relevant in the college game, and especially in an offensive system like Montgomery’s, where you are often shooting as the result of an assist pass.

As to leadership, Kravish, a sophomore, is not supposed to be a leader. The leader in this system is supposed to be the point guard. Either Cobbs, Wallace, or Smith, whoever starts the offense. Kravish’s job is to get himself in a good position to shoot and receive the ball. It is the passer’s responsibility to get it to him in a good position, and not trick him, as Montgomery has said in a press conference.

3) There is no slump. Kravish is playing a new position for him, PF, a position he probably never played much before, if at all. He’ll learn it.

Loyal Bear

Agree - not much improvement from the kid and hard to think of a memorable performance thus far this year...

Re: Perhaps less than you suggest

The big drop is in his shooting percentages, particularly FGs. This may be because he doesn't have Kamp slipping him the ball in close for point blank shots and he has definitely taken some shots beyond or at the edge of his effective range. I expect he'll tighten up his shot selection as the season goes along. Kamp was an excellent interior passer, an area where Solomon has a lot of room for improvement. I think our success is much more dependent on Solomon's development than on Kravish's.
    Access is better than ownership!

Quote Originally Posted by 59bear View Post
    The big drop is in his shooting percentages, particularly FGs. This may be because he doesn't have Kamp slipping him the ball in close for point blank shots and he has definitely taken some shots beyond or at the edge of his effective range. I expect he'll tighten up his shot selection as the season goes along. Kamp was an excellent interior passer, an area where Solomon has a lot of room for improvement. I think our success is much more dependent on Solomon's development than on Kravish's.
    This sounds more likely - Kamp was so crafty. Hopefully he can get some of those passes from a driving Cobbs or Wallace now.

Also I think his touch on the jumper has been off too. We were pleasantly surprised last year when he was consistent with the 10' jumper. I dont know what is up with it this year. It still looks good but he misses a lot. Maybe he is taking them from 12' instead of 10.

[More Thurmonator!]

Kamp

agree that Kamp was a good interior passer, but I think the bigger impact was defenses had to key on stopping Kamp, so Kravish got less attention.

This year there is no Kamp to draw the focus of the defense.

Kravish is fine, and will adjust/improve.
    ‘I don’t need easy, I need possible.’ Jorge Gutierrez

Loyal Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
    agree that Kamp was a good interior passer, but I think the bigger impact was defenses had to key on stopping Kamp, so Kravish got less attention.

This year there is no Kamp to draw the focus of the defense.

Kravish is fine, and will adjust/improve.
    I agree with SFCityBear and HD, essentially that Kravish is doing fine; at least, there is no sophomore slump.

If our team offense improves, Kravish can be a low double digit scorer.

And if his shot/touch has been adversely affected by his added muscle, he should adjust more as the season unfolds.

Go Bears!

Loyal Bear
    Expectations were low for him last year... and he exceded them. So this year, expectations got a lot higher... and he can't quite measure up to that.

His improvement will be incremental. He's only been in the program for a little over a year. In two years he'll be an experienced, 230 lb. senior!

Quote Originally Posted by Big C_Cal View Post
    Expectations were low for him last year... and he exceded them. So this year, expectations got a lot higher... and he can't quite measure up to that.
    Nailed it.

Kravish could not move his feet defensively last year and nothing has changed this year. If he is going to play, best to play zone. Offensively, I expect he will improve next year. All his moves are toward his right hand. If he had a counter move in the other direction, he would be much more effective. Overall, his problems are mostly about skills rather than his lack of bulk. But it is not his fault than he has been put into too large a role due to poor recruiting. He does give a good effort.

Sluggo