Thread: The best account of The Play you'll ever read

Helmet The best account of The Play you'll ever read

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~pattrsn/...yofmiracle.htm

Amazingly thorough account of The Play and the events leading up to it by Ron Fimrite. I hadn't known till very recently that one of my fellow Miramonte Mats, Steve Dunn was the 11th guy on the field till reading it. Looks like he had a key block for Richard Rodgers -father of current Bear TE Richard Rodgers, who might've been tackled before lateraling to Garner without his last-minute hit.

Still kills me that I missed The Play by one year, starting at Cal in '83 rather than '82.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6nC55Kv2sKM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ah, yes. I never get tired of reading that. I was three years out of school, and sitting with my uncle ('50) and a bunch of Old Blues high up in section GG. My shoulders were in a brace because riding my bike home from the UCLA (I think) game three or four weeks previous, I'd had an accident and broken a collarbone. When the official's arms went up signaling TD, my cousin screamed and bear-hugged me. He re-broke the bone.

It was, for me, the ecstasy followed by the agony! A moment I'll never, ever, forget.

I knew at the time that it would be the number one sports moment for me ever. Nothing to follow would ever match it.
    Go Bears!

Still gives me chills every time I see it or read a story on it. As a senior in HS (same class as MB) I was taking afternoon classes at Cal so I actually was able to secure a student section season pass for that year.

As people filtered out after the FG, I just had to stay for the final gun. Afterwards, I could only jump up and down and scream, Starkey style, "We won, we won, we won"

I had people come up to me that had rushed back into the stadium asking what happened and I could do nothing but scream back, "We won, we won"

I have never since been so delirious with joy as to be unable to put together a sentence. I expect the next time will be when we clinch a Rose Bowl.

Go Bears!

Another funny element is that another Miramonte guy, Greg Beagle, was supposed to be on the field along with another player I don't remember, Jimmy Stewart -appropriate because it turned out to be a Capra-esque moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail2Calif View Post
    Still gives me chills every time I see it or read a story on it. As a senior in HS (same class as MB) I was taking afternoon classes at Cal so I actually was able to secure a student section season pass for that year.

As people filtered out after the FG, I just had to stay for the final gun. Afterwards, I could only jump up and down and scream, Starkey style, "We won, we won, we won"

I had people come up to me that had rushed back into the stadium asking what happened and I could do nothing but scream back, "We won, we won"

I have never since been so delirious with joy as to be unable to put together a sentence. I expect the next time will be when we clinch a Rose Bowl.

Go Bears!
    I was a sophomore at DVC at the time and already knew I was headed to Cal the next year. We listened to the entire game - of course - on the radio in the backyard with my Dad while raking leaves. Hugging my Dad in pure extasy on the back patio while Starkey was screaming nearly incoherently is a favorite moment in my life together with my father that I will never forget. I still love that old radio .... And am staring at it right now (I flew out this week due to my Mom's stroke)... At almost 82 years old my Dad remembers it like it was yesterday.

My favorite part? Elway's interview aired on the news that night where he said this "ruined" his college career. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Good times indeed.

Ron Fimrite was a local guy, San Leandro High and Cal, his stepmom was a very interesting woman as well

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sfg...37#fbLoggedOut