Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: McCain unsuspended for Portland st.

Not sure if this was posted or not, but this is a good photo of the hit.

1. McCain's helmet is to the side of the QB's helmet
    2. It is possible the helmets could have collided and it slipped to the side....but if that happened, you would think the collision would have knocked his head backward.
    3. McCain clearly has his arms wrapped around the QB and his foot is on the ground (did not launch)

SMH

The following is copied from ESPN iPhone SportsCenter App.

The system did not work as well for Cal defensive end Chris McCain. He was ejected in the fourth quarter of a 44-30 loss to No. 22 Northwestern for a roughing the passer penalty against Trevor Siemian. But because of a technical failure, the play was never reviewed by the replay official.

Ejections for targeting that are confirmed by replay are not reviewable after the game by the conference or NCAA. But because this play was not reviewed in the game, the Pac-12 was allowed to look at the play and determined on Monday that McCain should not have been ejected. The league said the roughing the passer penalty was proper.

The Pac-12 said it consulted with the national coordinator of officials and both sides determined that McCain should be reinstated. The conference said the technical issues have been resolved and the replay crew has been disciplined for the breakdown in the process.

Why was it even roughing the passer??? Bulls$it. I hope that crew was really disciplined. A$$holes

Quote Originally Posted by bar20 View Post
    The refs did review the play. There was no reason to review the play other than to verify McCain's hit on the QB. I am not buying that they didn't review the hit. I think the head of referees looked at it and felt it wasn't a target hit. But said it wasn't looked at to cover their a$$.
    But the announcement over the PA following the review was something like, "upon further review the call of first down stands." I don't remember- was the result of the play close? Could they have been reviewing the first down yardage? (Or claiming that now? Or that that that was what they were being asked to review?) I remember at the time thinking, "But wait a minute, I thought they were reviewing the hit and the ejection call?" They *didn't* say, "upon further review the ejection stands."

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomfan View Post
    Uhhhh...maybe because they said they did?

WTF is going on in the Pac12 with refs?
    And I recall them saying that (it was reviewed). F'ing incompetence. #40 in the rest of the game would have been nice...
    The University of California - One of the finest universities in the world, is the oldest public university in our great state with origins dating back to 1855, and university status granted in 1868. Go Bears!

Quote Originally Posted by davetdds View Post
    Why was it even roughing the passer??? Bulls$it. I hope that crew was really disciplined. A$$holes
    Clean hit period.

Quote Originally Posted by UCBerkGrad View Post

2. It is possible the helmets could have collided and it slipped to the side....but if that happened, you would think the collision would have knocked his head backward.
    3. McCain clearly has his arms wrapped around the QB and his foot is on the ground (did not launch)

SMH
    The QB's arm is till up in the air which means he had just released the ball. The easy way to tell a late hit is when the QB's arm is at his side and then is hit. Also you will notice that McCain's feet are still on the ground when he made the hit, it was not a launch. The league should take the flag from the ref that threw it, shove it down his throat, tape it with duct tape and point him in the direction of the unemployment office.

SMH
    The photo also confirms my view from that corner of the stadium. It appeared that the QB was still in the act of throwing (arm still moving foward and down) when he was hit.

Can the Guru's on this board tell me whether this matters. Under the prior rules, a player could not be called for hitting the QB while his arm was in motion as long as there was no helmet to helmet contact.

The following is copied from ESPN iPhone SportsCenter App.

The system did not work as well for Cal defensive end Chris McCain. He was ejected in the fourth quarter of a 44-30 loss to No. 22 Northwestern for a roughing the passer penalty against Trevor Siemian. But because of a technical failure, the play was never reviewed by the replay official.
    Well, that's pretty stupid that they couldn't review it, but at least now it makes sense why the ejection wasn't overturned after video review.

Quote Originally Posted by hanky1 View Post
    PAC 12 reversal just announced.
    Where?

I think the flag may have been for helmet to helmet, but there was definitely no targeting. I can understand the personal foul if there was unintentional helmet contact even if it wasn't late.

Although, looks very similar to one of Goff's sacks that went unpenalized.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaGoldenBear View Post
    Where?
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...l-chris-mccain

no bear
    Total amateur hour. If the review can't happen, then he shouldn't have been ejected.