Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Not Eric Musselman?

Active Bear

Why Not Eric Musselman?

He has coached in the NBA (head coach at Golden State and Sacramento) and in the DLeague and most recently served as the assistant head coach at ASU. His DLeague and ASU players say he was instrumental to improving their game. He worked with Bill Self at Kansas to better understand the college game. Other coaches who know him think he is an excellent recruiter. He also lives in Northern California. He just resigned today from ASU. Why not talk with EMuss?

Active Bear
    Thinking the same thing. Think he would be a very good hire for us.

After we fired Braun, I thought he would have been a good hire then.

Of all the names mentioned so far, I would have TD as my no. 1 pick, and Musselman as 1A.

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBlue View Post
    He has coached in the NBA (head coach at Golden State and Sacramento) and in the DLeague and most recently served as the assistant head coach at ASU. His DLeague and ASU players say he was instrumental to improving their game. He worked with Bill Self at Kansas to better understand the college game. Other coaches who know him think he is an excellent recruiter. He also lives in Northern California. He just resigned today from ASU. Why not talk with EMuss?
    Yes, I think he is a good candidate and I would be happy with Musselman.

Just please, no Brey, and for good's sake, definitely no Howland!

Was josh pastner interested or contacted?

Young and comes from a good coaching tree.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBlue View Post
    If you read the "Wish list" thread you will see he was my top guy last week. I hope he is secretly being interviewed, as I like him better than any of the reported choices.

Sluggo

Real Bear
    I agree EM would be a great hire.
    He resigned? (what are his plans?)

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by sluggo_Cal View Post
    If you read the "Wish list" thread you will see he was my top guy last week. I hope he is secretly being interviewed, as I like him better than any of the reported choices.

Sluggo
    In the "Tell me its not down to this final four" thread, 4thgen says that Musselman was interviewed, so there is hope.

He was a finalist for the South Florida job, they went with a UK assistant

Quote Originally Posted by calumnus View Post
    In the "Tell me its not down to this final four" thread, 4thgen says that Musselman was interviewed, so there is hope.
    Made my day. Thanks.

Sluggo

Loyal Bear
    Musselman would be better than any candidate mentioned so far. I hope his name is in the mix.

Loyal Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoRico View Post
    I agree EM would be a great hire.
    He resigned? (what are his plans?)
    Well, with what ASu has coming back next year, he likely protected his "image" by leaving this year!
    I have never been a fan. He should go back to the NBA...

Loyal Bear
    Musselman has a similar vibe as Pete Carroll at $C minus the California hippie philosophy. Never quite successful in the big show but a few trips there, lots of knowledge. A real crack at HC in the Pac12 might be what he needs to get his career on the right course. If he stuck around for 5-7 years, could see good results.

Quote Originally Posted by beelzebear View Post
    Musselman has a similar vibe as Pete Carroll at $C minus the California hippie philosophy. Never quite successful in the big show but a few trips there, lots of knowledge. A real crack at HC in the Pac12 might be what he needs to get his career on the right course. If he stuck around for 5-7 years, could see good results.
    I do agree he can be a good coach and get good results, bit USC Football does not equal Cal Basketball. Whoever we get will need to do both recruiting and coaching very well (obviously).

Loyal Bear
    ^^^ I wasn't comparing $C FB with Cal hoops but instead Musselman and Carroll and similar career trajectories. I don't know if Musselman is into recruiting but he had to do some at ASU. Any way, Carroll was $C's 4th or 5th pick and frankly they lucked out big time because at the time they sucked something fierce. It would be nice for Cal to luck out once in a while as well.