Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm hoping that Sonny Dykes pulls a Barry Alvarez.

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar

I'm hoping that Sonny Dykes pulls a Barry Alvarez.

Barry Alvarez his first year at Wisconsin posted a 1-10 season (lone win was against Ball St) followed by 5-6 seasons in 1991 and 1992 before the 9-1-1 of 1993 that put the Badgers, who had been projected for no better than fourth place in preseason polls, into the Rose Bowl. Wisconsin hadn't been to a Rose Bowl in 31 years.

I know it's a long shot but I'm hoping that Sonny can produce similar results at Cal.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-12-..._1_rose-bowl/3
    Last edited by NYCGOBEARS; 07-15-2014 at 06:26 AM.

Wait. I thought we'd been told repeatedly by know it all posters that this couldn't happen!? Odds are against it but at least we know its happened before.

Quote Originally Posted by petalumabear View Post
    Wait. I thought we'd been told repeatedly by know it all posters that this couldn't happen!? Odds are against it but at least we know its happened before.
    In the book "The System", the chapters on Mike Leach are illuminating. It gives real insight into not only Sonny's challenges rebuilding the Cal program but also his approach as well.

Thanks for the tip NYC. I will read it.

Golden Bear
    "I believe that we will win, I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN"-------Go Sonny

Quote Originally Posted by petalumabear View Post
    Thanks for the tip NYC. I will read it.
    I have to give credit to beeasyed for the inspiration to finish reading "The System". It had been buried in my Kindle but once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down.

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    Barry Alvarez his first year at Wisconsin posted a 1-10 season (lone win was against Ball St) followed by 5-6 seasons in 1991 and 1992 before the 9-1-1 of 1993 that put the Badgers, who had been projected for no better than fourth place in preseason polls, into the Rose Bowl. Wisconsin hadn't been to a Rose Bowl in 31 years.

I know it's a long shot but I'm hoping that Sonny can produce similar results at Cal.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-12-..._1_rose-bowl/3
    Thanks NYC!

During that 1-10 season, Wiscy even lost to a then horrible Northwestern team!

So when Dykes goes 3-9 this year with multiple blowouts, are we still going to say he can turn things around? Are you guys going to continue to hold high hopes for this coach?

I'm sorry to break it to you guys but a 5-7 record is the bare minimum. If we don't make it, I don't see how any recruits would want to play for us. If we can't recruit, we can't rebuild.

And yes the odds are really stacked against us. There are only three teams where a win should be almost guaranteed.

I hope Chancellor Dirks hires Dykes as AD and he hires Bret Bielma as head coach, too.

True Blue Golden Bear ColoradoBear1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OdontoBear66 View Post
    "I believe that we will win, I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN"-------Go Sonny
    if I hear the mike men try to start that cringe worthy cheer this fall, likely when we are down multiple TD's, I might have to just walk out of the stadium and never come back.

As for the OP, yes barry alvarez part 2 would be great. It does take time to turn things around.
    Last edited by ColoradoBear1; 07-15-2014 at 08:04 AM.

During that 1-10 season, Wiscy even lost to a team named California. It was Cal's first win on its way to the Copper Bowl and a young running back named Russell White made his Bear debut.

3? I see 1"almost guaranteed", 2 or 3 possible. Anything beyond that will be "almost miraculous". That said, it's time to stop the bashing Sonny and give the man a chance. I didn't like the hire but we've got him and should support him until/unless he proves his selection was a mistake.
    Access is better than ownership!

Sonny needs to win all the games Cal is favored (which won't be many) plus win at least a couple of games we are underdogs. There needs to be signs of life with the program. I gave him a pass last year as he needed to clean house. This year, he needs to show me something.

It would be nice to know what Wisconsin looked like in the 5-6 seasons. I imagine they played tough, sound, fundamental football but just didn't have enough good players and enough of that winning attitude to finish the 6 losses. This is exactly what we have to see this year from Sonny. Cal has to play well and show that the improvement is there but the need is just for better players. I also imagine that after the second 5-6 season the Wisky army was getting restless. This is where a knowledgeable AD can make or break your football program. He/she needs to be able to know that the head coach can break through or is through and then make the appropriate decisions. Obviously they got it right with Alvarez.