Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herm Edwards addressed the team?

Herm Edwards addressed the team?

1407996975.jpg

I'd love to see a video of that!

His classic: LINK

i dont even need to click to know that YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME lol

would pay to see a video. not much but i would.

You think he mentioned playing with Issac Curtis and Harry Muncie?

I think Herm Edwards could be a great college coach. When Sonny gets fired, I think Cal should take a serious look at Herm Edwards who played at Cal.

He reminds me a bit of Pete Carroll, who was an average-ish pro coach with the Patriots and Jets. Pete Carroll hadn't coached at the college level for a really, really long time, and only got the USC job because three other coaches turned USC down. But, as we all know, Carroll ended up being one of the greatest college coaches of all time.

If Herm coached at Cal, I just think he's be a lot more successful as a college coach than he was in the NFL. Now, I'm not saying Herm's going to be an all-time college coach. If Carroll was average-ish as a pro coach before SC, then Herm was another tier below that as a pro coach.

Herm's weakness would be his game management. But, I think he could easily overcome that with his recruiting prowess because at the college level its all about who can recruit the top talent. In the NFL, the talent level is more evenly spread out so coaching and schemes is more important than at the college level. Les Miles at LSU doesn't strike me as an excellent game day coach, but he wins because he can recruit.

I think Herm would be an unstoppable force at recruiting kids with the national platform ESPN has provided him, his experience as a NFL head coach who could promise recruits he knew what it would take to get them to the NFL, and his natural charisma.

And, just as importantly, I think any recruit's parent would really trust their child with Herm to turn their kid into a man.

Worst case scenario, in the rare case like Ron Zook where recruiting prowess didn't translate into wins, he'd leave a team brimming with talent that Urban Meyer won a championship with.
    Last edited by danar; 08-15-2014 at 10:34 PM.

wow....great first sentence...can you just wait til the season plays itself out....damn.

Oh, thank you, thank you, for bringing up Herm Edwards! Now I can tell my story again about playing in a pick-up softball game with him at Underhill. I was playing center field and he was in left and someone hit one behind me and....................oh, no one really cares. I am notorious for telling stories and I love a fresh audience.

Oh wait, wait, did I mention the time I played basketball with Vince Ferragamo? Or intramural basketball against Sherman White? Or sat next to Ray Wersching in an Econ class? You can see how old I am. I tell you, I got a million of them. Someone stop me, please.

Keep the stories coming!
    GO BEARS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Larno View Post
    Oh, thank you, thank you, for bringing up Herm Edwards! Now I can tell my story again about playing in a pick-up softball game with him at Underhill. I was playing center field and he was in left and someone hit one behind me and....................oh, no one really cares. I am notorious for telling stories and I love a fresh audience.

Oh wait, wait, did I mention the time I played basketball with Vince Ferragamo? Or intramural basketball against Sherman White? Or sat next to Ray Wersching in an Econ class? You can see how old I am. I tell you, I got a million of them. Someone stop me, please.
    Played basketball against Sherman White ... he was kind of a big body ... if you both went for the ball ... both going up for a rebound ...
    Keep going with the stories ...

Can't remember the details, but I believe Herm was in the mix....before Tedford? maybe.

All I can recall was he moved on to TV instead.

I have always felt he would be a good person to hire at Cal.
    However, I want to see how we do this year....and possibly the next.

...so I was playing centerfield and Edwards was in left. A ball was hit over my head and I turned around to go after it. Before I could even get close he glided effortlessly way over from left and made the catch. Outstanding athletes are at a different level from the rest of us. Afterwards someone asked if he was interested in playing on our intramural softball team but he declined. I also saw him playing pick-up basketball and not surprisingly he was really good. Like I said, great athletes........

He really wants to get back into coaching. If things don't work out with SD, he will lobby very hard for this job.

He could have had the job after Tedford, but I don't think he was interested. He has a great TV gig.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoOso View Post
    He really wants to get back into coaching. If things don't work out with SD, he will lobby very hard for this job.
    We Wish

He's like a west coast ahhh..........; use to be at Vandebilt, now at Penn State?
    Yeah, Gary Franklin....or something like that...Aretha? Nah