Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting article on ESPN's SEC bias

Interesting article on ESPN's SEC bias

The Worldwide Cheerleader: ESPN and the College Football Playoff

Is ESPN pushing a pro-SEC agenda? We'll find out tonight when the first Playoff rankings are revealed

Rolling Stones
    "Is ESPN pushing an all SEC bias? will find out tonight"

Then 4 out of 6 are out of the SEC if the playoffs were held today. Give me a brake. This worst than before for they are betting that two teams from the SEc is better than one for it assures the best team is in the championship game against any other conference who is obviously only going to have one at the most. The championship is essentially determined by the early rankings each and every year.
    Again, this is worst than before. How corrupt can it get?

LINK: ESPN SEC West: 3 of top 4 in rankings

Straight from the horse's business end. (first 4 paragraphs: bold italics added)

GRAPEVINE, Texas -- The College Football Playoff selection committee has spoken -- and it likes the SEC.

At least for now.

Mississippi State, Florida State, Auburn and Mississippi are the top four teams in the first College Football Playoff rankings.

The first of seven Top 25 rankings compiled by a 12-member selection committee was released Tuesday night. The selection committee will ultimately pick the four teams to play in the national semifinals and set the matchups for the other four big New Year's Day bowls that are part of the playoff rotation.

"It was extremely difficult, more difficult than any of us had expected having gone through our mock selections before," Arkansas athletic director and committee chairman Jeff Long said. "There are 18 one-loss teams in FBS at this point in time, and the difference between many of them is very slim."

If you can't win your conference you have no right IMO to try and claim the top spot. If there is only going to be 4 teams, all must come from a different conference

The average Pac 12 team has only 31 players in the NFL. The average SEC team has 36. In conclusion, the SEC dominates and should all be in top 25.

You know, people these days absolutely believe something if it is said enough. The linked article, although well written and well thought out, won't change espn's influence. It will just get espn to refute claims of bias with statements like chris fowlers which if said enough people will believe.

A friend of mine is an assistant dean at Stanford and she told me Stanford works hard to pad its "selectivity ranking" by encouraging as many high school students to apply as possible. I mentioned this to my wife, who is a Cal grad and a marketing and PR executive, and her response was, well, Stanford is more selective that Cal. It still irritates me that she didn't pick up what Stanford is doing given what she does for a living. Sec people in general are not nearly as sophisticated as her, so no doubt they are completely convinced the sec deserves 4 teams in the playoff.

Real Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by oski003 View Post
    The average Pac 12 team has only 31 players in the NFL. The average SEC team has 36. In conclusion, the SEC dominates and should all be in top 25.
    lol

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by oski003 View Post
    Nice refute. Full of details. I know just don't feel like it but that should not be the reason, besides what if a real possibility happens and all four teams in the championship are from the SEC, year after year after year. Is it still OK with you? Would you truly be interested in seeing Oregon vs Stanford and USC versus Washington in the championship game? This is why they have divisions to make sure everyone is represented. It's just good business. This is bad business. If your not your conference champion you should not be in it.

If only two SEC teams make the final four, the CFP will get off to a proper corrupt SEC start!

I'm telling you guys it's horse sh*t. It's rigged and it's cultural in the South. SEC football is a religion down there. They'll stop at nothing to rig this thing.

Real Bear
    We know it's BS, but CFB has a number of issues to make right. So, it's not surprising.
    Last edited by chazzed; 10-28-2014 at 09:00 PM.

conslezza and pat ... didn not rep the pac12 well at all (arz arz st and utah should bit bit higher) and ucla is joke 2OT to get past colo are kidding me.. but its alot of games to play .. but its more so the foul pre season ranking that sets the footwork to get to this point ..

committee played it sec safe.... my next thought is are they going to punish miss st and old miss and bama and auburn for the last scheduled easy cukcake .. i think all sec teams with 2 D2 teams and scheduled late ... take the harsh lesson learned get knocked down 2 -4 spots .. that is only hope

side note fat man throwing TD ..is more sec BS ... not single conference win but playing their second small school / weak opponent .. and they pull that play and get any credit str8 bullswanky

ESPN's lead story on Sportscenter Saturday evening was an SEC football game instead of Game 4 of the World Series... 'nuff said.

Then on Sunday or Monday there was a rant by Chris Fowler about how ESPN has no stake in the game. Whatevs.

This actually infuriates me.

The SEC has play NO ONE out of conference. There is no point of comparison. LUS beat unranked Wisconsin. Which lost to Northwestern, amongst others. They only have one undefeated team, they play 4 out of conference games against UAB, Louisiana Lafayette, Troy, etc. It is an absolute joke.

The committee said it would examine strength of schedule and take that seriously into account. So who has played the toughest schedule so far this year? The Pac 12. How do we know this? Because the Pac 12 has played and beaten teams throughout the country, and also played each other in conference. So the schedule is connected. We actually know that the Pac 12 is a good conference. Do we know that about the SEC? No, we have no idea. But the good news for the SEC is that they will not have to prove it. They will get to the Playoffs with three or four slots to themselves and therefore guarantee that they have a lock on College football.

I believe that the Pac 12 should separate from this college football playoff. It is a scam and a sham. The fact is that the Pac 12 will not be represented equally in the mix ever. I suggest a blow game at the Rose Bowl each year with the Big 10 and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by rathokan View Post
    ESPN's lead story on Sportscenter Saturday evening was an SEC football game instead of Game 4 of the World Series... 'nuff said.

Then on Sunday or Monday there was a rant by Chris Fowler about how ESPN has no stake in the game. Whatevs.
    To be fair, college football is more popular than the World Series, so you'd obviously lead with the (2nd) most popular sport where the regular season makes a huge difference.

In fact, this is the lowest-rated World Series in years.

Saturday's Game 4 was watched by 10.7 million viewers.

CBS' new show "Madam Secretary" about a female secretary of state was more popular.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...ghts/18055023/
    Last edited by okaydo; 10-28-2014 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oski87 View Post
    This actually infuriates me.

The SEC has play NO ONE out of conference. There is no point of comparison. LUS beat unranked Wisconsin. Which lost to Northwestern, amongst others. They only have one undefeated team, they play 4 out of conference games against UAB, Louisiana Lafayette, Troy, etc. It is an absolute joke.

The committee said it would examine strength of schedule and take that seriously into account. So who has played the toughest schedule so far this year? The Pac 12. How do we know this? Because the Pac 12 has played and beaten teams throughout the country, and also played each other in conference. So the schedule is connected. We actually know that the Pac 12 is a good conference. Do we know that about the SEC? No, we have no idea. But the good news for the SEC is that they will not have to prove it. They will get to the Playoffs with three or four slots to themselves and therefore guarantee that they have a lock on College football.

I believe that the Pac 12 should separate from this college football playoff. It is a scam and a sham. The fact is that the Pac 12 will not be represented equally in the mix ever. I suggest a blow game at the Rose Bowl each year with the Big 10 and leave it at that.
    The committee said they did reward strength of schedule, as explained here:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...le-miss-102814