Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Off-Topic: President visits Nashville... and is greeted by this.

Off-Topic: President visits Nashville... and is greeted by this.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news...isit/29565393/

Sometimes, I'm ashamed to say that I am from Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Reverie View Post

No need. Yes, TN has its share of nut jobs but that should not reflect badly on you just because you hail from the same state.

Remember when you visited Berkeley and you were greeted by the tree-sitters ? Because we only have rational people in California.

That's what makes Tennessee the state it is. When we were out for the game in 2006, a few Cal fans sitting up in the rafters watch as Rocky Top rolled over us for all directions (on the filed and in that stands) one wag sez, "I'm from California and I recognize cults when I see them."

Don't be ashamed...
    http://www.mediaite.com/online/tenne...-allowed-sign/

There are lots of good people in TN.

I don't agree with the Stars and Bars Flag but feel this is a complicated cultural issue.

Living in the Bay Area, with an older gay brother (who came out to our father at 18 in 1984) even both of us sometimes shake our heads at some of the stunts activists pull in order to garner attention to an issue.

Fly your flag, that's cool. Zip around on your F-150, waving a flag high. But don't make it an ingrained part of the polis.

Ironically there has been a recent movement to drop the California Bear Flag, See Link in LA Times Op-Ed: California, it's time to dump the Bear Flag by Alex Abella.

With Bear Flag, state pays tribute to slave owners, murderers, thieves, drunks and squatters.

They should officially redefine the meaning of that flag complete with a minor design change and a charter renouncing segregation and all the negative connotations and then see which of them who are passionate for its symbology still stand by it. Will cull all the haters out of the woodwork. That they hide behind southern as an ambiguity is what makes the issue persist.

It's Prez Obama's fault! - He should have motorcaded straight to Tootsies like we all did before the TN game!

Quote Originally Posted by 93gobears View Post
    There are lots of good people in TN.

I don't agree with the Stars and Bars Flag but feel this is a complicated cultural issue.

Living in the Bay Area, with an older gay brother (who came out to our father at 18 in 1984) even both of us sometimes shake our heads at some of the stunts activists pull in order to garner attention to an issue.

Fly your flag, that's cool. Zip around on your F-150, waving a flag high. But don't make it an ingrained part of the polis.

Ironically there has been a recent movement to drop the California Bear Flag, See Link in LA Times Op-Ed: California, it's time to dump the Bear Flag by Alex Abella.
    Dam* does that mean we have to change our mascot.

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GivemTheAxe View Post
    Dam* does that mean we have to change our mascot.
    No, the white man killed them all.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    No, the white man killed them all.
    Alex Abella makes that argument, as well as lots of other strong inflammatory language that serves his cause. Not sure how revisionist his statements are, but he seems to go all out in his certainty despite being a mere political journalist rather than a historian.

His interview on KPFA: https://kpfa.org/player/?audio=209412.

And a comment by a listener (with added corrections):
    The History Channel offers this --
    "June 14, 1846 -- Anticipating the outbreak of war with Mexico, American settlers in
    California rebel against the Mexican government and proclaim the
    short-lived California Republic.
    The political situation in California was tense in 1846. Though
    nominally controlled by Mexico, California was home to only a relatively
    small number of Mexican settlers (ie. Spanish Colonialists). Former citizens of the United States
    made up the largest segment of the California population (aside from the native Americans), and their
    numbers were quickly growing."
    Abella significantly fails to mention the Spanish Missions, Spanish Land Grants, Spanish Secularization, and the European diseases set upon Native Californians by the first Spanish colonialists.
    Last edited by 93gobears; 07-01-2015 at 07:44 PM.

Alex Abella makes that argument, as well as lots of other strong inflammatory language that serves his cause. Not sure how revisionist his statements are, but he seems to go all out in his certainty despite being a mere political journalist rather than a historian.

Abella significantly fails to mention the Spanish Missions, Spanish Land Grants, Spanish Secularization, and the European diseases set upon Native Californians by the first Spanish colonialists.
    I am not sure how much anticipation was required. The war wit Mexico was declared in April 1846 and California declared it independence in June of 1856.

Ironically there has been a recent movement to drop the California Bear Flag...
    Not sure its a movement yet...

You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and
    they won't take him.

And if two people, two people do it, in harmony,
    they may think they're both faggots and they won't take either of them.

And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in
    singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. They may think it's an
    organization.

And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day, I said
    fifty people a day walking in singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and
    walking out. And friends they may thinks it's a movement...

Arlo Guthrie - Alice's Restaurant Massacre

Quote Originally Posted by Go!Bears View Post
    Not sure its a movement yet...

You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and
    they won't take him.

And if two people, two people do it, in harmony,
    they may think they're both faggots and they won't take either of them.

And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in
    singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. They may think it's an
    organization.

And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day, I said
    fifty people a day walking in singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and
    walking out. And friends they may thinks it's a movement...

Arlo Guthrie - Alice's Restaurant Massacre
    Did you think I was gonna hang myself for littering?

Agree that It was the Spanish diseases. When DeSoto explored the Southwest in the 1530's and 1540's he brought live pigs and other domesticated animals. The horses that got loose spread quickly across their natural habitat...the Plains. The pigs were intentionally bred for food by the immigrants and natives.
    Pigs are notorious for being instruments in spreading disease.

DeSoto was reported to have found many large Indian villages with a fairly large native population. Within the next 100 years the vast bulk of those villages and native had disappeared. So that subsequent explores did not encounter those tribes.