Thread: Leon Russell Les Blank masterwork, after 40 yrs

True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection. Send my credentials to the House of Detention.
    I first got into Leon Russell in 1971 when they were playing the Asylum Choir II album on KSAN "No jive 95." Then in the Fall of '71 he was the subject of the KQED music program Full Circle in a segment called Leon Russell and Friends (boy his backup singer Claudia Lennear was hot). By the Freshman Orientation at Cal in Fall '72 his album Carney was a full fledged hit. I saw him in '72 at the Berkeley Community Theater. The man was a major talent and could flat out play the piano. He played with Harrison and Clapton at The Concert for Bangladesh.

https://youtu.be/9uRYap4xjUM
    Last edited by bearister; 07-04-2015 at 11:55 AM.

I had a really nice talk with Don Randi last night. Don is the owner of the Baked Potato jazz club in L.A., and was also a significant member of "The Wrecking Crew".......that amazing group of musicians who played the instrumentation for (among others) The Byrds, The Association, SImon and Garfunkel, Sinatra, Sonny and Cher, and on and on. Anyway I bring this to your attention because "The Wrecking Crew" movie is now available, and after watching the film version, I highly recommend you get a copy. In addition, there is a book that is a companion piece to the movie which has much more information than I have time to write about. If you get it, let me know what you think. I'm just amazed at what I DIDN'T know about the records I bought as a youth!
    "

[QUOTE=bearister;842512091]I first got into Leon Russell in 1971 when they were playing the Asylum Choir II album on KSAN "No jive 95." Then in the Fall of '71 he was the subject of the KQED music program Full Circle in a segment called Leon Russell and Friends (boy his backup singer Claudia Lennear was hot). By the Freshman Orientation at Cal in Fall '72 his album Carney was a full fledged hit. I saw him in '72 at the Berkeley Community Theater. The man was a major talent and could flat out play the piano. He played with Harrison and Clapton at The Concert for Bangladesh.

I suspect you missed Leon Russell and Bonnie Raitt together at the Greek Theatre in say '75(?) That was Great Show was wonderful even in the afternoon. Also when the TV series House played 'Stranger In A Strange Land' as background music for an episode, that was a bonafide 'full strength' flashback to Berkeley in the early to mid '70s for me. I found out too late that Leon Russell played some low key Bar in San Jose last year and I was bummed about missing that. If you are on Spotify there are it seems ~300 Leon Russell songs to put on/in a Playlist.
    Last edited by Dduster; 07-04-2015 at 04:21 PM. Reason: poor grammar