Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yokohama Station, of Durant's Gourmet Ghetto, closed a while ago.

Yokohama Station, of Durant's Gourmet Ghetto, closed a while ago.

I miss their Noodles with Beef. Chow Mein. I'm trying to replicate.

Anyone have the recipe?

I used to watch (at 1:00 am) the lady chef squirt oils and seasonings into a hot wok then throw in noodles, beef, and vegetables for what seemed like 60 seconds.

It tasted so good.

My German mom occasionally tries to make Chow Mein, but it generally tastes like spaghetti, cabbage and soy sauce.

I'm planning on visiting the Hong Lih grocery in Oakland next week for their good noodles. Any suggestions for recipes or oils and seasonings that I should pick up?

Thanks in advance.

This Durant gourmet ghetto, is it where Manuel's was and King Pin is? I've never heard the term used.

It is the same place, but it's not the Gourmet Ghetto. It is commonly referred to as the "Asian Ghetto". The Gourmet Ghetto is on the Northside, near Cheeseboard.

Quote Originally Posted by grandmastapoop View Post
    It is the same place, but it's not the Gourmet Ghetto. It is commonly referred to as the "Asian Ghetto". The Gourmet Ghetto is on the Northside, near Cheeseboard.
    I actually weighed the terms and decided to refrain from using "Asian Ghetto," ergo "Durant's Gourmet Ghetto."

In my day I never called it the Asian Ghetto. I stand by that remark.

Quote Originally Posted by 93gobears View Post
    I actually weighed the terms and decided to refrain from using "Asian Ghetto," ergo "Durant's Gourmet Ghetto."

Understandable - I was merely relaying the name it is commonly referred to by. I believe the name on the sign is "Durant Food Court" or "Durant Square" or something along those lines, if that helps.

I miss their Noodles with Beef. Chow Mein. I'm trying to replicate.

Anyone have the recipe?

I used to watch (at 1:00 am) the lady chef squirt oils and seasonings into a hot wok then throw in noodles, beef, and vegetables for what seemed like 60 seconds.

It tasted so good.

My German mom occasionally tries to make Chow Mein, but it generally tastes like spaghetti, cabbage and soy sauce.

I'm planning on visiting the Hong Lih grocery in Oakland next week for their good noodles. Any suggestions for recipes or oils and seasonings that I should pick up?

Thanks in advance.
    The secret to stir fry is high heat.If you don't clean it, the surfaces of your kitchen should become covered in a coating of oil condensate if you're doing it right. Don't set the house on fire.

Peanut oil because it can stand the higher heat, garlic, ginger, scallions, soy, some dried chiles, beef, Chinese broccoli, mushrooms

Quote Originally Posted by BerlinerBaer View Post
    The secret to stir fry is high heat.If you don't clean it, the surfaces of your kitchen should become covered in a coating of oil condensate if you're doing it right. Don't set the house on fire.
    +1. Most home stoves/ranges don't generate enough heat to get the same kind of results you can at restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by GB54 View Post
    Peanut oil because it can stand the higher heat, garlic, ginger, scallions, soy, some dried chiles, beef, Chinese broccoli, mushrooms
    and half a pound of MSG.

High heat is key!

Quote Originally Posted by BerlinerBaer View Post
    +1 to BerlinerBaer's high heat comment. (Chinese) Restaurants usually have ridiculously high BTU rating for stir-fry; unless he has something as high at home, there's no way a home cook can make chow mein noodles in 60 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by 01Bear View Post
    +1 to BerlinerBaer's high heat comment. (Chinese) Restaurants usually have ridiculously high BTU rating for stir-fry; unless he has something as high at home, there's no way a home cook can make chow mein noodles in 60 seconds.
    I'm afraid to really crank up the heat. My stir fry's always taste like sautees.

My wife on the other hand... I commonly walk into a kitchen to the deafening sound of frying as a white oil haze fills the air... Throw in some chili and it's like tear gas. Tastes great, though!

i find it odd that a japanese named place Yokohama was selling beef chow mein and sounding like it was actually good. is this something you cant pick up at another chinese (actually) restaurant? or is it just the right amount of counterfeiting chinese food that makes it good?

I think it was the yakisoba the OP was talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakisoba

My classmate used to always joke about how similar the yakisoba at Yokohama Station was to chow mein. Then I learned that soba isn't supposed to be used in yakisoba, period.

Hey 93gobears, I graduated in '93 too!

Third World Food Court is what I usually heard.

Steve's Korean BBQ was my Asian Ghetto goto, before they moved into the bigger space at the end of the alley.