Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: OT: More Olympic news....the 2022 games go to.....

  1. #1

    OT: More Olympic news....the 2022 games go to.....

    ....Beijing. Announced today as the host of the 2022 Winter Games. And get this - apparently the final vote was between them and Kazakhstan.

    Also, a recent study says swimming and boating competitors at next year's Olympics in Rio will be competing in water that's basically as safe as raw sewage (LINK).

    Is it safe to say the Olympics have fallen very, very far?

  2. #2
    All the more reason to bring this home to a legit first world country in 2024.

  3. #3
    What's wrong with Beijing?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by CalBearinLA View Post
    What's wrong with Beijing?
    Pollution, although most of the aerobic events side from cross country skiing tends to be indoors so I didn't foresee it being too much of a concern.

    That being said, winters in Beijing are quite sooty due to the huge amount of coal that's used to keep everyone warm. It's pretty noticable; your snot ends up being all black and nasty and there's constantly crap under your fingernails.

  5. #5
    Well, if Beijing can host the winter olympics, then why not have Sochi host the summer olympics. \_(ツ)_/

  6. #6
    Remember the 90s when the Winter Olympics were held in picturesque, winter-appropriate places like Albertville and Lillehammer?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by pingpong2 View Post
    Pollution, although most of the aerobic events side from cross country skiing tends to be indoors so I didn't foresee it being too much of a concern.

    That being said, winters in Beijing are quite sooty due to the huge amount of coal that's used to keep everyone warm. It's pretty noticable; your snot ends up being all black and nasty and there's constantly crap under your fingernails.
    I mean, I've been to Beijing several times, so I know what the pollution situation is like, but it's not really demonstrative of the Olympics falling very very low as OP suggests

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by CalBearinLA View Post
    What's wrong with Beijing?
    What's wrong with Beijing for the Winter Olympics?
    Start with NO SNOW.
    Move next to NO OLYMPIC CLASS mountain.

  9. #9
    It also means 3 consecutive Games (2018, 2020, 2022) being held in Asia, as well as going back to the same place twice in 14 years. That Beijing and Almaty were the final top two signifies the extent to which it's no longer the best places bidding for the event, but the increasingly short list of places that are willing to put up with the IOC's sh!tshow.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by CalBearinLA View Post
    What's wrong with Beijing?
    I'm pretty sure that China like Russia will spend the $$ to get an adequate games out of the site. I would not lump in into the same category as Brazil. Not even close.

    Some are going to complain about the human rights issues - but kazakhstan is apparently worse.

    I just don't think Beijing is an exciting choice and not a winter mecca at all. There is barely any info out there on the skiing venues. I did see one article that listed annual snowfall at around 100 cm (39 inches). For many resorts in Colorado a bad year is under 300 inches. At Utah's top resorts, a bad year might be under 350 inches. This is just not a place that is going to have any real snow culture.

    So the question really is what is the Olympic Committees goal here? Every bidding the traditional snow countries seems to back out as the process goes on. Norway, Austria, Switzerland, Canada, United States, Sweden, Italy, Germany, France... no finalists this year. Should we be asking why not? Do the olympics want to grow winter sports? Are they rewarding social progress in undeveloped countries? Or do they sit on a fat check similar to FIFA and frown upon 'cheap' bids from already established countries.

    In the end, I don't see the Olympics as being a positive for host cities due to the building and $$ requirements. In the US (in particular because I know about our process), the host city/state is on the hook for costs without much help from any national body. Compare that to somewhere like Russia, China, or even Brazil where their national government is pumping billions into the event. Hard to compete with the $$, but the olympics is getting some subprime sites. Not sure that is good for them in the long term. And I'd guess other very developed nations feel the same way about debt and hosting as the US.

  11. #11
    True Blue Golden Bear okaydo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bearilinga, CA
    Posts
    17,152
    What do y'all think of SF and LA sharing an Olympics?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by okaydo View Post
    What do y'all think of SF and LA sharing an Olympics?
    When's high speed rail done again? And can the olympics help pick up the tab?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by okaydo View Post
    What do y'all think of SF and LA sharing an Olympics?
    It's been mentioned before for the Summer Games, but I think a "California" Winter Games would be great (at least from an event planning perspective - maybe not from the political/"who pays for it" perspective).

    Make the figure skating a big marquee event at Staples or the new SF Warriors arena, and hold the snow events all over the Sierras and Tahoe.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoBear1 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that China like Russia will spend the $$ to get an adequate games out of the site. I would not lump in into the same category as Brazil. Not even close.

    Some are going to complain about the human rights issues - but kazakhstan is apparently worse.

    I just don't think Beijing is an exciting choice and not a winter mecca at all. There is barely any info out there on the skiing venues. I did see one article that listed annual snowfall at around 100 cm (39 inches). For many resorts in Colorado a bad year is under 300 inches. At Utah's top resorts, a bad year might be under 350 inches. This is just not a place that is going to have any real snow culture.

    So the question really is what is the Olympic Committees goal here? Every bidding the traditional snow countries seems to back out as the process goes on. Norway, Austria, Switzerland, Canada, United States, Sweden, Italy, Germany, France... no finalists this year. Should we be asking why not? Do the olympics want to grow winter sports? Are they rewarding social progress in undeveloped countries? Or do they sit on a fat check similar to FIFA and frown upon 'cheap' bids from already established countries.

    In the end, I don't see the Olympics as being a positive for host cities due to the building and $$ requirements. In the US (in particular because I know about our process), the host city/state is on the hook for costs without much help from any national body. Compare that to somewhere like Russia, China, or even Brazil where their national government is pumping billions into the event. Hard to compete with the $$, but the olympics is getting some subprime sites. Not sure that is good for them in the long term. And I'd guess other very developed nations feel the same way about debt and hosting as the US.
    They will have plenty of time to build mountains and make snow.

  15. #15
    What's wrong with Quatar?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •