Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > Archives > Cal Fans: Best Food
Reload this Page Suggestions on where to watch Holiday Bowl in Bay Area?
Notices
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
N0rCalBear N0rCalBear is offline
Real Bear
 
N0rCalBear's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,345
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Suggestions on where to watch Holiday Bowl in Bay Area? - 12-21-2011, 07:20 AM

Hey guys,
East Bay Native, Cal alum, Chicago resident for the last 4 years. Going to be in the Bay Area for the holidays, and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions of where to catch the game, preferably with other alums.

The Alumni group in SF is surprisingly not hosting anything official, but recommended The Republic and Brickyard. Some light googling of those places seems to indicate they are overpriced and a bit stuffy.

Anyone got any recommendations of where to catch the game?

Thanks, and GO Bears!
Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
Cal88 Cal88 is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
Cal88's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,752
Join Date: Jul 2008
12-21-2011, 07:32 AM

I'd go with Kips, a bit of a dive but always a good Cal football atmosphere.
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
BoaltBear BoaltBear is online now
Real Bear
 
BoaltBear's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,611
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Francisco
12-21-2011, 07:49 AM

I'm not sure how you're defining stuffy but Republic and Brickyard are pretty solid modern sports bars and would be good options. Of course, the better option is jumping on a flight to San Diego and supporting the team . . .
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
BayAreaHorn BayAreaHorn is offline
Active Bear
 
Posts: 173
Join Date: Dec 2011
12-21-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0rCalBear View Post
Hey guys,
East Bay Native, Cal alum, Chicago resident for the last 4 years. Going to be in the Bay Area for the holidays, and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions of where to catch the game, preferably with other alums.

The Alumni group in SF is surprisingly not hosting anything official, but recommended The Republic and Brickyard. Some light googling of those places seems to indicate they are overpriced and a bit stuffy.

Anyone got any recommendations of where to catch the game?

Thanks, and GO Bears!
The Brickyard is the UT Alumni game watch bar - so, yes, you could watch it there but you would be surrounded by toothless redneck Texas fans
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
jcmayo jcmayo is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 541
Join Date: Jul 2008
12-21-2011, 09:44 AM

They moved? Thought they were at The Blue Light.

I'll be watching the game at Shanghai Kelly's but a lot of people think the place is a dive bar. I'll be watching the game w/ this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUYpzWOJAQs

The Republic and Brickyard are not stuffy. They are "Marina Bars" though.
Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
BoaltBear BoaltBear is online now
Real Bear
 
BoaltBear's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,611
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Francisco
12-21-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmayo View Post
The Republic and Brickyard are not stuffy. They are "Marina Bars" though.
Brickyard is in Cow Hollow. Republic is in the Marina. Neither is stuffy.

A decent Cal contingent always shows to Brickyard. I would imagine even with it being the Texas meet-up, it will be pretty evenly split and should be a good game day atmosphere.
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
BayAreaHorn BayAreaHorn is offline
Active Bear
 
Posts: 173
Join Date: Dec 2011
12-21-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmayo View Post
They moved? Thought they were at The Blue Light.

I'll be watching the game at Shanghai Kelly's but a lot of people think the place is a dive bar. I'll be watching the game w/ this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUYpzWOJAQs

The Republic and Brickyard are not stuffy. They are "Marina Bars" though.
Yes - used to be Blue Light (and Final Final before that) - but I believe it was this year they switched to Brickyard. I've not been so I don't know what the turnout typically is, but it usually was pretty good at Blue Light and Final Final - I would think so for this one as well.
Reply With Quote
  (#8) Old
N0rCalBear N0rCalBear is offline
Real Bear
 
N0rCalBear's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,345
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
12-21-2011, 08:34 PM

Maybe stuffy wasn't the right word. The $7 Guinness Drafts turned me off I guess. Used to Joe's on Weed and their $3.75 Coors Light pitchers...
Reply With Quote
  (#9) Old
slobear slobear is offline
Real Bear
 
slobear's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,557
Join Date: Aug 2008
12-21-2011, 10:38 PM

I like Irish Times on Sacramento between Sansome and Montgomery. I was really turned off by the Republic earlier this year when we played UCLA--nowhere to sit and lots of furd fans there watching their game. If you want an uncrowded but good spot with good beer and some decent food go with Irish Times. If you prefer the crowds go with Kezar Pub. Fun place, good beer and food.
Reply With Quote
  (#10) Old
avsrock90 avsrock90 is offline
Real Bear
 
avsrock90's Avatar
 
Posts: 733
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sydney
12-21-2011, 11:12 PM

North Star Cafe in North Beach is owned by a cal alum and will be serving free shots to those wearing blue and gold following touchdowns, FWIW.
Reply With Quote
  (#11) Old
jcmayo jcmayo is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 541
Join Date: Jul 2008
12-22-2011, 04:50 PM

Stevie (Northstar) also owns Kelly's.
Reply With Quote
  (#12) Old
hehatenate hehatenate is offline
Active Bear
 
Posts: 278
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco
12-22-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHorn View Post
Yes - used to be Blue Light (and Final Final before that) - but I believe it was this year they switched to Brickyard. I've not been so I don't know what the turnout typically is, but it usually was pretty good at Blue Light and Final Final - I would think so for this one as well.
I went to Brickyard with a couple friends (1 a UT alum) for the Texass Oklahoma State game, and was quite impressed with the Hooker Whores fans. Every first down elicited a roar like it was a game winning TD. Pity they didn't get more of those...

They are good folks, but unless Cal has 2/3 of the Brickyard, it will seem like the UT bar that it normally is this year...loud proud bunch.
Reply With Quote
  (#13) Old
Cal88 Cal88 is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
Cal88's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,752
Join Date: Jul 2008
12-22-2011, 04:45 PM

That's the problem with watching Cal sports in the City, a whole lot of transplants from other schools mixed with the hordes of yuppie neutrals who don't give a crap about college sports...
Reply With Quote
  (#14) Old
briloker briloker is offline
Active Bear
 
briloker's Avatar
 
Posts: 240
Join Date: Jul 2008
12-21-2011, 09:46 AM

My favorite place to watch games is at King of Thai in North Beach, upstairs. It's not Joe's on Weed, but it's got plenty of TVs, $2 pints of Sapporro and Sierra Nevada, $5 entrees and appetizers, and plenty of young Thai waitresses.
Reply With Quote
  (#15) Old
jamjr jamjr is offline
New Bear
 
Posts: 22
Join Date: Jul 2008
What about the Royal Exchange in downtown SF - 12-21-2011, 11:37 PM

I've never been, but I heard it's the best Cal friendly bar in the city. Verification anyone?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Ad Management by RedTyger