Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > Archives > Cal Fans: Best Food
Reload this Page Suggestions on where to watch Holiday Bowl in Bay Area?
Notices

(#1) Old
Real Bear

Suggestions on where to watch Holiday Bowl in Bay Area? - 12-21-2011, 07:20 AM

Hey guys,
East Bay Native, Cal alum, Chicago resident for the last 4 years. Going to be in the Bay Area for the holidays, and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions of where to catch the game, preferably with other alums.

The Alumni group in SF is surprisingly not hosting anything official, but recommended The Republic and Brickyard. Some light googling of those places seems to indicate they are overpriced and a bit stuffy.

Anyone got any recommendations of where to catch the game?

Thanks, and GO Bears!
  (#2) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-21-2011, 07:32 AM

I'd go with Kips, a bit of a dive but always a good Cal football atmosphere.
  (#3) Old
Real Bear

12-21-2011, 07:49 AM

I'm not sure how you're defining stuffy but Republic and Brickyard are pretty solid modern sports bars and would be good options. Of course, the better option is jumping on a flight to San Diego and supporting the team . . .
  (#4) Old
Active Bear

12-21-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0rCalBear View Post
Hey guys,
East Bay Native, Cal alum, Chicago resident for the last 4 years. Going to be in the Bay Area for the holidays, and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions of where to catch the game, preferably with other alums.

The Alumni group in SF is surprisingly not hosting anything official, but recommended The Republic and Brickyard. Some light googling of those places seems to indicate they are overpriced and a bit stuffy.

Anyone got any recommendations of where to catch the game?

Thanks, and GO Bears!
The Brickyard is the UT Alumni game watch bar - so, yes, you could watch it there but you would be surrounded by toothless redneck Texas fans
  (#5) Old
Real Bear

12-21-2011, 09:44 AM

They moved? Thought they were at The Blue Light.

I'll be watching the game at Shanghai Kelly's but a lot of people think the place is a dive bar. I'll be watching the game w/ this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUYpzWOJAQs

The Republic and Brickyard are not stuffy. They are "Marina Bars" though.
  (#6) Old
Real Bear

12-21-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmayo View Post
Brickyard is in Cow Hollow. Republic is in the Marina. Neither is stuffy.

A decent Cal contingent always shows to Brickyard. I would imagine even with it being the Texas meet-up, it will be pretty evenly split and should be a good game day atmosphere.
  (#7) Old
Active Bear

12-21-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmayo View Post
They moved? Thought they were at The Blue Light.

I'll be watching the game at Shanghai Kelly's but a lot of people think the place is a dive bar. I'll be watching the game w/ this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUYpzWOJAQs

Yes - used to be Blue Light (and Final Final before that) - but I believe it was this year they switched to Brickyard. I've not been so I don't know what the turnout typically is, but it usually was pretty good at Blue Light and Final Final - I would think so for this one as well.
  (#8) Old
Real Bear

12-21-2011, 08:34 PM

Maybe stuffy wasn't the right word. The $7 Guinness Drafts turned me off I guess. Used to Joe's on Weed and their $3.75 Coors Light pitchers...
  (#9) Old
Real Bear

12-21-2011, 10:38 PM

I like Irish Times on Sacramento between Sansome and Montgomery. I was really turned off by the Republic earlier this year when we played UCLA--nowhere to sit and lots of furd fans there watching their game. If you want an uncrowded but good spot with good beer and some decent food go with Irish Times. If you prefer the crowds go with Kezar Pub. Fun place, good beer and food.
  (#10) Old
Real Bear

12-21-2011, 11:12 PM

North Star Cafe in North Beach is owned by a cal alum and will be serving free shots to those wearing blue and gold following touchdowns, FWIW.
  (#11) Old
Real Bear

12-22-2011, 04:50 PM

Stevie (Northstar) also owns Kelly's.
  (#12) Old
Active Bear

12-22-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHorn View Post
Yes - used to be Blue Light (and Final Final before that) - but I believe it was this year they switched to Brickyard. I've not been so I don't know what the turnout typically is, but it usually was pretty good at Blue Light and Final Final - I would think so for this one as well.
I went to Brickyard with a couple friends (1 a UT alum) for the Texass Oklahoma State game, and was quite impressed with the Hooker Whores fans. Every first down elicited a roar like it was a game winning TD. Pity they didn't get more of those...

They are good folks, but unless Cal has 2/3 of the Brickyard, it will seem like the UT bar that it normally is this year...loud proud bunch.
  (#13) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-22-2011, 04:45 PM

That's the problem with watching Cal sports in the City, a whole lot of transplants from other schools mixed with the hordes of yuppie neutrals who don't give a crap about college sports...
  (#14) Old
Active Bear

12-21-2011, 09:46 AM

My favorite place to watch games is at King of Thai in North Beach, upstairs. It's not Joe's on Weed, but it's got plenty of TVs, $2 pints of Sapporro and Sierra Nevada, $5 entrees and appetizers, and plenty of young Thai waitresses.
  (#15) Old
New Bear

What about the Royal Exchange in downtown SF - 12-21-2011, 11:37 PM

I've never been, but I heard it's the best Cal friendly bar in the city. Verification anyone?