Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page OT-Is Aaron Gordon the best CCS bball player ever?
Notices

(#1) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

Basketball OT-Is Aaron Gordon the best CCS bball player ever? - 03-24-2012, 11:39 AM

Certainly-he is in the modern era. Archbishop Mitty crushed La Costa Canyon-Carlsbad, 78-57, for its second consecutive state championship. Junior Aaron Gordon (6'7") toyed with the SoCal entry with 33 points & 20 rebounds. Unlike his older brother, Drew Gordon, Aaron is leading his team to state championships. Drew led Mitty to championship appearances but the Monarchs came up short on both occasions.

dream scenario: if Cal could land the super talent in its own backyard, it could rule the Pac 12 for the forseeable future. Jabari Bird (6'5") & Aaron Gordon (6'7") are obviously the best players in the NCS & CCS, respectively.

Washington HC, Lorenzo Romar, was sitting in the front row for both players games at the state championships. Arizona is in play for this talented duo, too, according to the tv commentators. Zero mention of Cal?

Where's Cal coach, Montgomery? Sacto is not that far from Berkeley? Why is he not a high profile presence for the Bears? I think Cal has a tiny chance with Bird but Romar successfully recruited Derek Simmons from Salesian two years ago.

As the lesson of the Wizard of Oz taught us at an early age: "if you ever go looking for your heart's desire, never look any farther than your own backyard. If it wasn't there in the first place, it probably wasn't worth looking for anyway..."

It will kill me if we have to watch Gordon & Bird dominate the conference for another school for 3 years or so before they turn pro. GO BEARS!

Last edited by Schroeder71; 03-24-2012 at 11:42 AM.
  (#2) Old
Active Bear

03-24-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder71 View Post
Certainly-he is in the modern era. Archbishop Mitty crushed La Costa Canyon-Carlsbad, 78-57, for its second consecutive state championship. Junior Aaron Gordon (6'7") toyed with the SoCal entry with 33 points & 20 rebounds. Unlike his older brother, Drew Gordon, Aaron is leading his team to state championships. Drew led Mitty to championship appearances but the Monarchs came up short on both occasions.

dream scenario: if Cal could land the super talent in its own backyard, it could rule the Pac 12 for the forseeable future. Jabari Bird (6'5") & Aaron Gordon (6'7") are obviously the best players in the NCS & CCS, respectively.

Washington HC, Lorenzo Romar, was sitting in the front row for both players games at the state championships. Arizona is in play for this talented duo, too, according to the tv commentators. Zero mention of Cal?

Where's Cal coach, Montgomery? Sacto is not that far from Berkeley? Why is he not a high profile presence for the Bears? I think Cal has a tiny chance with Bird but Romar successfully recruited Derek Simmons from Salesian two years ago.

As the lesson of the Wizard of Oz taught us at an early age: "if you ever go looking for your heart's desire, never look any farther than your own backyard. If it wasn't there in the first place, it probably wasn't worth looking for anyway..."

It will kill me if we have to watch Gordon & Bird dominate the conference for another school for 3 years or so before they turn pro. GO BEARS!
They might not end up playing at the same school. We have pretty much no chance with Gordon, but we actually have a very good shot with Bird.
  (#3) Old
Real Bear

hate to burst anyone's bubble - 03-24-2012, 12:18 PM

Gordon will not be attending Cal, for the usual reason that local AAU players spurn Cal, i.e. players that view college as a stepping stone to the next level. They will choose the path of least resistance academically combined with the highest level of exposure. That is it.
  (#4) Old
Loyal Bear

03-24-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brj1 View Post
Gordon will not be attending Cal, for the usual reason that local AAU players spurn Cal, i.e. players that view college as a stepping stone to the next level. They will choose the path of least resistance academically combined with the highest level of exposure. That is it.
Gordon is considering Stanford. His sister plays hoops at Harvard. He's got grades.
  (#5) Old
Golden Bear

Don't know about Gordon - 03-24-2012, 12:55 PM

But '71, why are so down on Cal not recruiting Bird? Its more likely than not he goes to Cal.
  (#6) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

03-24-2012, 01:45 PM

There is an important question here - why was monty not at the HS state championship? No seriously, WHY IS MIKE MONTGOMERY NOT WATCHING THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME THAT FEATURED GUYS WE HAVE OFFERED TO????!!!????
  (#7) Old
Real Bear

03-24-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
There is an important question here - why was monty not at the HS state championship? No seriously, WHY IS MIKE MONTGOMERY NOT WATCHING THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME THAT FEATURED GUYS WE HAVE OFFERED TO????!!!????
Uh he was there. Definitely at the Salesian-Price game.

https://twitter.com/#!/BayAreaPreps/...99061913366528
  (#8) Old
Loyal Bear

03-24-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessMilesMoreTedford View Post

Of course he was there. He knows how important a recruit Bird is.

The big question for me is, how many spots will we have available for 2013 and what positions will be filled? With Rorie committing for 2014, I'd guess PG isn't a priority.

Last edited by tsubamoto2001; 03-24-2012 at 03:22 PM.
  (#9) Old
Loyal Bear

03-24-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Yup - he was there as were Crabbe & Solo who wanted to watch their alma mater... A friend who posts here spoke to MM at the game. I also saw MM at a game I attended 2 years ago (O'Dowd vs. Castro Valley) when we were recruiting both Ashley and Anderson. The notion on this board of what MM does and doesn't do in player recruiting is mind blowing.
  (#10) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

03-24-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petalumabear View Post
Yup - he was there as were Crabbe & Solo who wanted to watch their alma mater... A friend who posts here spoke to MM at the game. I also saw MM at a game I attended 2 years ago (O'Dowd vs. Castro Valley) when we were recruiting both Ashley and Anderson. The notion on this board of what MM does and doesn't do in player recruiting is mind blowing.
Good. My bad...I thought S71 was quoting a blogger/reporter..
  (#11) Old
Golden Bear

03-24-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Ha. Nice try.
  (#12) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

Basketball I was relaying what the tv announcers stated... - 03-24-2012, 05:53 PM

I watched both games. Dana Altman, Oregon's HC, was at the Mitty's boys game in pursuit of A. Gordon, too. Both Gordon boys are solid student atheletes. Drew attended UCLA, remember? He told me that he considered Cal. Drew played on the Oakland Soldiers with my nephew. GO BEARS!

____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ _____-
Quote:

Last edited by Schroeder71; 03-24-2012 at 05:56 PM.
  (#13) Old
Real Bear

03-24-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder71 View Post
I watched both games. Dana Altman, Oregon's HC, was at the Mitty's boys game in pursuit of A. Gordon, too. Both Gordon boys are solid student atheletes. Drew attended UCLA, remember? He told me that he considered Cal. Drew played on the Oakland Soldiers with my nephew. GO BEARS!

____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ _____-
Baffles me how Howland sided with Reeves Nelson over Drew Gordon and manages to keep his job.
  (#14) Old
Real Bear

03-24-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Baffles me how Howland sided with Reeves Nelson over Drew Gordon and manages to keep his job.
Apparently Gordon did some other stuff that warranted Howland's distaste for him
  (#15) Old
Loyal Bear

03-26-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian The Cal Bear View Post
Apparently Gordon did some other stuff that warranted Howland's distaste for him
Apparently Gordon committed the cardinal sin of questioning Howland regarding what the Bruins were doing on the court.