Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > Other Topics > Tech Talk
Reload this Page Techie question PC to TV
Notices

(#1) Old
Website Administrator

Techie question PC to TV - 10-24-2011, 04:03 PM

We've been watching Cal Volleyball at calbears.com all access.

We'd like to watch on TV instead. What hardware do I need?

I'd rather not use ethernet to ethernet even though that would work?

Thanks!

GO BEARS !!!
  (#2) Old
Real Bear

10-24-2011, 04:08 PM

Depends on what kind of computer you have and where you have it. I have a Windows laptop with HDMI out that I use to watch online stuff on the big tv. What kind of setup are you using?
  (#3) Old
Real Bear

10-24-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfans View Post
We've been watching Cal Volleyball at calbears.com all access.

We'd like to watch on TV instead. What hardware do I need?

I'd rather not use ethernet to ethernet even though that would work?

Thanks!
Not sure what you mean by ethernet to ethernet. Unless you have the PC nearby the TV (or a really long cable), you're going to need some network connection to get the content on your TV.

If you have your PC nearby your TV and your TV has HDMI or a dvi-d connection you can hook up the TV directly (as a primary or secondary monitor.) If your TV doesn't then there are adaptors that will get your PC displaying on your TV (but the quality will not be as good.)

If your PC isn't close by, I believe there are some wireless HDMI devices but you'll need a fast wireless network (at least n band.) I don't have experience with those.

Another option is looking at something like this software:

PlayOn
  (#4) Old
Website Administrator

10-24-2011, 06:45 PM

My laptop does have HDMI so I guess I'd use that instead of ethernet cable. So the TV would be like a second monitor. Hmmm... Does that happen automatically when it's plugged in?

But that means the laptop needs to be near the TV and I'd have to unplug the HDMI cable on the TV which is now hooked to the cablebox.

Playon needs one of those game consoles. Don't have that.

I'll look into wireless HMDI.

How do I tell if I have n band?

Right now I actually have ATT DSL and Comcast cable. Deciding which one to get rid of - that's another story. I don't think I'm getting the speed I should be with either. ATT is supposed to be 3Mbps. Not sure what Comcast is. Speedtests show roughly 25 upload, 4.5 download for both.

I have MVP Hosts and I think that slows things? I just uninstalled Online Armor firewall because that was slowing things, too.

GO BEARS !!!
  (#5) Old
Active Bear

10-24-2011, 06:53 PM

Does your TV have only one HDMI port? If so, you'll need to swap cables even if you do use a wireless setup. I'd probably just hook the laptop up to the TV w/ an HDMI cable - should be the easiest to get working.

Should just work, but you might have to fiddle with your sound settings to get your laptop to output the sound over HDMI instead of through the speakers / other sound output devices.
  (#6) Old
Real Bear

10-24-2011, 06:57 PM

Your TV will have some kind of 'input selector' on the remote. Just plug in the laptop HDMI cable to laptop, and to the TV. Then press the input selector button until the laptop image shows up.

You may need to adjust your laptop screen resolution to an HDMI compatible resolution (either 720 or 1480) in the vertical dimension. More than likely, you can adjust the laptop screen resolution to an 'HDMI' setting that comes with your laptop software.

My TV has a VGA input, so I can just plug a standard monitor cable from the laptop to the TV, and then adjust the TV input selector. Easy as pie to do.

-BG
  (#7) Old
Website Administrator

10-24-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGeorge View Post
Your TV will have some kind of 'input selector' on the remote. Just plug in the laptop HDMI cable to laptop, and to the TV. Then press the input selector button until the laptop image shows up.

***I think I can do that

You may need to adjust your laptop screen resolution to an HDMI compatible resolution (either 720 or 1480) in the vertical dimension. More than likely, you can adjust the laptop screen resolution to an 'HDMI' setting that comes with your laptop software.

***Control Panel/display?

My TV has a VGA input, so I can just plug a standard monitor cable from the laptop to the TV, and then adjust the TV input selector. Easy as pie to do.
***I also have a bigger screen non-HDTV. Would I use an ethernet cable for that? Oh wait, the old TV doesn't have ethernet. Guess I need to use the HDTV...but's smaller.

***I think I like the idea of the HDMI Wireless. Now I need to know which to pick :P

Thanks for the help everybody

GO BEARS !!!
  (#8) Old
Real Bear

10-24-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfans View Post
***I also have a bigger screen non-HDTV. Would I use an ethernet cable for that? Oh wait, the old TV doesn't have ethernet. Guess I need to use the HDTV...but's smaller.

***I think I like the idea of the HDMI Wireless. Now I need to know which to pick :P

Thanks for the help everybody
One of the big advantages w/ HDMI is you get the video AND sound with that single connector. So, connecting the HDMI from laptop to TV will use the TV's speakers, instead of the laptop's. Some TVs will have VGA or, less commonly, DVI input, which may or may not come with an attached sound cord, but it is more difficult to deal with in any case. So, if you don't go with HDMI, you may have to pipe the sound from your laptop, either through external speakers via an audio out cord, or via the laptop's native speakers (yuck).

Also, I have not heard much about HDMI wireless, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more trouble than it's worth...
  (#9) Old
Website Administrator

10-25-2011, 06:53 PM

What do you think of these???

http://www.amazon.com/Warpia-StreamH...9597307&sr=8-2

or

http://www.amazon.com/Veebeam-HD-Wir...9597307&sr=8-4

or

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Wireles...9597307&sr=8-6

GO BEARS !!!