Chat Room [14]
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Women's Basketball
Reload this Page Lindsay can't be happy with the To's or missed FT's
Notices

(#1) Old
Real Bear

Lindsay can't be happy with the To's or missed FT's - 11-17-2011, 08:49 PM

yikes!! 9-25 from the foul line? and 22 turnovers (13 in 2nd half)? 4 players in double figures ... Justine looked really smooth (16 pts in only 18 min off the bench).
  (#2) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

11-17-2011, 09:30 PM

Kai Felton has work to do to improve Cal's atrocious team shooting numbers.
  (#3) Old
Staff Writer

11-17-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbearsfan View Post
yikes!! 9-25 from the foul line? and 22 turnovers (13 in 2nd half)? 4 players in double figures ... Justine looked really smooth (16 pts in only 18 min off the bench).
No, she was not happy. It was interesting to see how she would react. The season so far has been so rosy and upbeat, that I was hoping Gottlieb would not just spin this game away. She did not. Struck the right tone in the post-conference, I thought.

GO BEARS!
  (#4) Old
Loyal Bear

Totally Agree - 11-17-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbearsfan View Post
Why are FT's such a challenge for this team? Lots of talent on the floor. Should be able to convert unguarded shots. Lack of focus? Lack of emphasis? Had Bears converted their FT's they would be 2-0 right now. Missing a bunch against Sact St may not matter, but against a decent team it can easily be the difference between winning and losing.

As for the TO's, at least they make some sense. Lots of people playing uptempo basketball, including 4 freshmen (Gray, Boyd, Hartman, Johnson). Lindsay is the anti-Boyle, substituting in volume and often. With this kind of talent, why not? So, there is hope that once the players gain some experience playing together we can expect to see fewer TO's. It had better work that way, if we want to win many games against quality competition.

Illinois will tell us a lot more about this team.
  (#5) Old
Real Bear

Reading the stat sheet - 11-17-2011, 10:17 PM

I can see we missed a lot more than free throws - we only shot 2-19 on threes.

The 4 posts combined shot an excellent 24-35 from the field. Juniors Eliza and Layshia combined shot 7-12. But the other 6 guards totaled just 6-30.

I wish I'd been able to see Eliza's 6 rebounds, 4 assists, and 4 steals in 17 minutes, and it looks like everyone rebounded well.

Only one Sac State player had any numbers: Kylie Kuhns with 13 points (6-12, 1-3), 14 rebounds, 3 assists, and a steal.
  (#6) Old
Real Bear

11-18-2011, 03:03 AM

Yes, Eliza had a very good game. She did take 1 ill-advised 3-point shot (but, then again, nobody else was hitting from there)! She really did a number of things that don't appear on the stat sheet as well, hustle plays that gave us extra possessions that don't tally on the stats for her.

The real bright spots for me were the assists and rebounding. All 4 post players, plus the usual Eliza, crashed the boards. Talia is probably one of the most tenacious players on the court; she worked HARD in there for every rebound, every point. Better rebounding from her and Reshanda in this game than against Rutgers. In the presser, she is quoted as having mentioned that she knew this and took it upon herself and talked with Rashanda about this; a good sign, if you ask me, that she has been equipped to figure out what she needs to do to improve, as well as how to get a teammate onboard.

And, while the assists were not astoundingly high, it's still an improvement over the last half of last season. Maybe I put too much importance on this stat, but I like to see that column filled up. It means your team is looking for one another, passing up bad shots in favor of better shots, people are moving around and not standing still (remember all that endless Layshia and Lexi dribbling, going nowhere?), and--in our case in particular--the guards are making entry passes for once into the posts, and the post players are effectively running the high-low with each other. Even our bench players can pass; some of Aviviel's passes were unbelievably good, Erika's always thinking a step ahead of when she gets the ball as to who needs it next; and Mikayla had some great feeds inside.

All in all, as coach said, "Picasso it was not," but I can't complain too much. There is a lot of talent there, hard work, and the team is cohesive and communicative. The other pieces will come, I think.
  (#7) Old
Loyal Bear

Thoughts of tonights game - 11-18-2011, 04:22 AM

First, I ran into Cowling and Gabby Green in the hall. Both are about the same height (around 6') with long arms. Green seemed to be walking OK and I guess her surgery was a success. They sat on the first row of the Student section.

We have not been a good free throw shooting team for several years but last night allowed us to hit a new low. Even our good freethrowers couldn't make free throws. That included Lindsey and Afure.

Sacramento went all out on their press committing 4 players on the other side of the midcourt line. Seems like we could have gone over the top for a 2 on 1 break anytime we wanted.

Sac State had the tiniest guards I have seen on a Division I college team. 5'2" and 5'3". Saw both play in high school. Moreno was a team mate of Afure at St. Mary's. Fantasia played with a really good group out of Sacramento. But boy are they tiny. But they can play.

Was disappointed with our weakside help when someone penetrated to the basket. Can't imagine Ashely would have let that happen.

Although we didn't shoot well from the outside, I am hoping it will improve. Our best three point shooters are in a slump but it is not like they can't shoot.

Nice to see Clarendon break out. Great first half.

Caldwell is like a bull in a China Shop. You can't mover her out.

All the bigs have slightly different games. It is nice to have depth as I don't think Lindsey wants to play the two big women who are coming back from injuries too many minutes in a row.

Lots of people hit the deck last night. Lindsey hurt her left elbow but came back into the game. Brittany seemed to hurt her groin area. I assume they are OK.

Illinois should be a good test Sunday. Rutgers beat Boston College last night.
  (#8) Old
Real Bear

More Thoughts - 11-18-2011, 08:15 AM

After seeing mostly good developments vs. Vanguard and Rutgers, I saw mostly bad developments last night.

Lindsay said some nice things about Sacramento State after the game but don't be misled - the Hornets are the kind of overmatched team from whom we should have steadily pulled away. There was nothing steady about the trajectory of last night's game.

Even more disturbingly, I saw some terrible reminders of Lindsay's UCSB teams. Every coach wants both speed and precision of execution, and you have to juggle the conflicting priorities early in the season. UCSB seemed to overemphasize speed to the point where it sometimes looked like they were rushing for the sake of rushing, and that's what Cal looked like last night. UCSB suffered some terrible early-season upsets as a result and I hope there's no repeat at Cal.

I endorse the eventual move of Brittany and Afure into the starting lineup, but making the change last night seemed odd - at this error-prone point of the season, do we really need to be MORE hyper and frantic at the start of the game? Kai said at the chalk talk that starting lineups may change depending on matchups, and that reserves could end up playing as much or more, but last night's change seemed to be a misreading of what we need at the start of games.

Our interior defense looked porous again at times.

On the other hand, our entry passes on offense looked very promising, good enough so that I can see us executing these against much better opposition.

The emphasis on speeding up play may be hurting our shooting. Re: 3FG shooting, there has to be a balance between getting the shot up quickly but also making sure you get your body set to take your normal shot. Right now many of our outside shots look rushed and not many are in rhythm. (Again, that's a repeat of early-season UCSB.) Same thing with our free throw shooting - if we are playing hyper then players can be too amped at the line, no matter how much they may try to follow their pre-shot routine.

There's still a lot of reason to hope for a great season. We are not at all lacking in energy and effort, and the coaches looked appropriately dissatisfied last night, so we are not a team that plays up or down to the level of the competition. But at the same time we also look like a team that is just waiting to receive a big comeuppance from an opponent that will use smart play to overcome our physical talent. Illinois is unlikely to be that team but now I'm a little more worried about the rest of the schedule.
  (#9) Old
Loyal Bear

11-18-2011, 09:19 AM

another nice write up, pear bear

more importantly, were the bears having fun out there last night for those of you in attendance???

that clearly wasn't the case when i saw them play in las vegas and tempe last season

having fun and truly enjoying your teammates will bring good things to berkeley

working on fts can be improved with practice and coaching, not liking your teammates...not so much
  (#10) Old
Loyal Bear

They seem to be having fun - 11-18-2011, 10:26 AM

That is the theme this year.
  (#11) Old
Real Bear

11-18-2011, 03:13 PM

the coaches will have to buckle down. is it that our players are just not good FT shooters? i dont believe we really have that excellent 3 pt shooter yet. would be interesting how much time is devoted to FT and three pt shooting in regular practice. also if they chart as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocky1 View Post
another nice write up, pear bear

more importantly, were the bears having fun out there last night for those of you in attendance???

that clearly wasn't the case when i saw them play in las vegas and tempe last season

having fun and truly enjoying your teammates will bring good things to berkeley

working on fts can be improved with practice and coaching, not liking your teammates...not so much