Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Women's Basketball
Reload this Page Brittany shine?
Notices

(#1) Old
Golden Bear

Brittany shine? - 04-15-2012, 12:46 AM

I was at the Big Meet (T&F) and the entire coaching staff (not sure of Parks) and all of the players with the exception of sherbert were enjoying the meet! This was tweeted on coachKai's twitter account with a picture of a ball player Brittany Shine with coach and team. Any idea what this might mean? See the link.

http://lockerz.com/s/201329580

Last edited by OBear073akaSMFan; 04-15-2012 at 05:16 AM.
  (#2) Old
Active Bear

04-15-2012, 03:42 AM

I know she plays for florida. Last year she played quite a bit and had a few 20 pt games. This year she surprisingly didn't get much time at all. I have no idea why? She was the player that I mentioned in the other thread that also played for JBS. She was Sac High's best player from the class of 2010. I wouldn't think that she might not be too happy with the minutes she got last year. You can read into that what ever you want.
  (#3) Old
Golden Bear

04-15-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtalk View Post
I know she plays for florida. Last year she played quite a bit and had a few 20 pt games. This year she surprisingly didn't get much time at all. I have no idea why? She was the player that I mentioned in the other thread that also played for JBS. She was Sac High's best player from the class of 2010. I wouldn't think that she might not be too happy with the minutes she got last year. You can read into that what ever you want.
Kind of blatant wearing that Cal shirt "Bear Territory". With no 2012 recruits and Laysia & Eliza graduating it would be perfect ... her sitting out for 2012 we would have a stop gap for 2013-2014 with experience.

Last edited by OBear073akaSMFan; 04-15-2012 at 08:54 AM.
  (#4) Old
Loyal Bear

Saw her play 2 years ago - 04-15-2012, 07:28 AM

A good Sacramento team that got wiped out by St. Mary's, the year they were number one team in the country. Also saw them at the Jamboree.

A pretty good and athletic guard. Didn't seem to play point for Sacto, but handled the ball a lot. Seems like a good addition.
  (#5) Old
Real Bear

04-15-2012, 08:52 AM

We could take 1 or 2 from the freshman who will move on from a coaching change as Hartman did. Agee and a combo guard would fill out an empty 2012 class and balance things up a bit. Though Shine's SEC experience is a big plus. In the article about Michaela Johnson's transfer to Wisconsin and Kelsey, it was said that Engeln might leave UConn. She shoots well, doesn't she? Wvit?
  (#6) Old
Loyal Bear

I don't remember her as a shooter - 04-15-2012, 10:17 AM

More as a slasher. But it is hard to tell when you play St. Mary's of Stockton. I think I saw her against Hanford and she isn't a bad shooter. But I don't remember her being a great shooter.
  (#7) Old
Staff Writer

04-15-2012, 12:22 PM

Shine is tranferring from Florida and visited Washington the previous weekend.
  (#8) Old
Active Bear

04-15-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearbear View Post
Shine is tranferring from Florida and visited Washington the previous weekend.
Just for clarification, pearbear. She's transferring to Cal? Or she's looking at schools to decide where to transfer?

Thanks.
  (#9) Old
Loyal Bear

04-15-2012, 02:02 PM

Reads as though she is visiting schools as part of her effort to find a new home. First, to UW and now visiting Cal.... The question should be who's up next?
  (#10) Old
Active Bear

04-15-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvitbear View Post
More as a slasher. But it is hard to tell when you play St. Mary's of Stockton. I think I saw her against Hanford and she isn't a bad shooter. But I don't remember her being a great shooter.
I saw her quite a bit in High school. She seemed to be more comfortable scoring off the break than in half court sets, because of her excellent pull up jumper which she was able to hit running at full tilt.
  (#11) Old
Loyal Bear

An accurate description Willtalk - 04-16-2012, 04:57 AM

Sacramento is always an athletic team. Sort of a Berkeley High from the Valley.
  (#12) Old
Loyal Bear

05-02-2012, 08:25 AM

Brittany Shine of Sacramento High School transfers from Florida to Cal
http://blogs.sacbee.com/preps/archiv...#storylink=cpy
  (#13) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

05-02-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtalk View Post
I saw her quite a bit in High school. She seemed to be more comfortable scoring off the break than in half court sets, because of her excellent pull up jumper which she was able to hit running at full tilt.
Shine's game sounds similar to Clarendon, though she's two inches shorter than Layshia. Was she able to get to the rim through the bigs in the SEC? Shine's comment about spending her transfer year working on a 3-point shot would probably help her game. A heralded former Sacramento HS POY returing home to Cal in NorCal could also help the Bears' recruiting close to home.
  (#14) Old
Real Bear

05-02-2012, 10:42 AM

I'm not sure she's 2 inches shorter than Clarendon. Her actual height seems to be a matter of some confusion. The Florida website lists her as 5'10" and I can't imagine they would be off by 3 inches? Young women are known to grow up until 20 or so, so it might be possible that she's actually grown a bit from her high school days.

At any rate, I'm excited to have her on the roster. She sounds like a high-energy, athletic and enthusiastic player.
  (#15) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

05-02-2012, 10:51 AM

Good point.