Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page OT: Cal invented the internet!
Notices

(#1) Old
Golden Bear

OT: Cal invented the internet! - 04-13-2012, 05:36 PM

...thanks to Berkeley for the role that it has played in a spectrum of fields from mathematics to technology, Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt M.S. 79, Ph.D. 82 accepted his award as Cal Alumnus of the Year at the recent Charter Gala ceremony.

In his acceptance speech, Schmidt described meeting his wife at International House, the food on the Northside at 4 a.m., developing the architecture of the Internet, and the importance for fighting for higher education.

From my perspective, the story of Berkeley is about entrepreneurship, its about innovation, its about free speech, its about having fun, its about, in my case, being lucky, Schmidt told his audience. When you think about the Internet, think about Berkeley a lot of this was invented there..."

I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez
  (#2) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

04-13-2012, 05:48 PM

(#3) Old
Real Bear

Sure Cal played a role - 04-16-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
...thanks to Berkeley for the role that it has played in a spectrum of fields from mathematics to technology, Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt M.S. 79, Ph.D. 82 accepted his award as Cal Alumnus of the Year at the recent Charter Gala ceremony.

In his acceptance speech, Schmidt described meeting his wife at International House, the food on the Northside at 4 a.m., developing the architecture of the Internet, and the importance for fighting for higher education.

From my perspective, the story of Berkeley is about entrepreneurship, its about innovation, its about free speech, its about having fun, its about, in my case, being lucky, Schmidt told his audience. When you think about the Internet, think about Berkeley a lot of this was invented there..."

However, I still think more about Stanford and UCLA when I think of Internet pioneering for some reason.

Interestingly, UCSB and University of Utah were the other two of the first four pioneering nodes.