Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page Sami Eleraky
Notices

(#1) Old
Real Bear

Sami Eleraky - 04-12-2012, 07:42 AM

With Gonzaga closing in on Karnowski (Few reportedly heading to Poland with papers, trying to head off a decision based on actual campus visits to Spokane and Berkeley) and Upshaw a longer shot (though if he wants to stay in-state there is a chance), Sami Eleraky is an interesting option. ASU is reportedly recruiting him as well.

Danish player, almost 19 years old, 6'11", 240lbs. In the European 18 and under Championships last July, he averaged 4.5 pts and 5 boards in 18 mpg. Those performances attracted some attention and earned him a much more prominent role for his pro-level Aalborg Vikings in 11/12 (he hadn't done much of note for them in 10/11). Averaged approx 6 pts and 6 rpg in 25 mpg for Aalborg in 11/12 as the youngest player on the team. Among the players he matched up with was Chris Christoffersen, former Oregon center.

A few brief clips of him at :36, 1:13, and 2:00 (number 15 in white)

Here are a couple translated links. Couldn't find anything on him in English.

last game for the Vikings

brief comments on his game

Last edited by smokeyrover; 04-12-2012 at 07:47 AM.
  (#2) Old
Loyal Bear

04-12-2012, 07:55 AM

His name doesn't start with the K sound, so I don't think it's a very good fit. Cal needs Karnowsky at center to round out our starting 5. No offense, Richard.
  (#3) Old
Loyal Bear

04-12-2012, 09:05 AM

Seems like laziness if Monty doesn't get on a plane himself. Maybe he could borrow some of Tedford's frequent flyer miles from his trip to Australia.
  (#4) Old
Active Bear

04-12-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyrover View Post
With Gonzaga closing in on Karnowski (Few reportedly heading to Poland with papers, trying to head off a decision based on actual campus visits to Spokane and Berkeley) and Upshaw a longer shot (though if he wants to stay in-state there is a chance), Sami Eleraky is an interesting option. ASU is reportedly recruiting him as well.

Danish player, almost 19 years old, 6'11", 240lbs. In the European 18 and under Championships last July, he averaged 4.5 pts and 5 boards in 18 mpg. Those performances attracted some attention and earned him a much more prominent role for his pro-level Aalborg Vikings in 11/12 (he hadn't done much of note for them in 10/11). Averaged approx 6 pts and 6 rpg in 25 mpg for Aalborg in 11/12 as the youngest player on the team. Among the players he matched up with was Chris Christoffersen, former Oregon center.

I know this discussion came up before, when we played these guys over the summer, but how does the level of the league the Vikings are in compare to NCAAB?
  (#5) Old
Loyal Bear

04-12-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:

[/url]

I don't think visiting a player during or right before the signing period is legal, unless the player is in for a visit.
  (#6) Old
Loyal Bear

04-12-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barabbas View Post
I don't think visiting a player during or right before the signing period is legal, unless the player is in for a visit.
You know how it works, Few will just walk by his house while accidentally dopping a jersey and paperwork on the ground. Incidental contact only worthy of a secondary violation. Oh wait, I thought you said Calipari.
  (#7) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

04-12-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster99 View Post
You know how it works, Few will just walk by his house while accidentally dopping a jersey and paperwork on the ground. Incidental contact only worthy of a secondary violation. Oh wait, I thought you said Calipari.
Mark Few: Oh hi Karney! Was just rolling through the Polish neighborhood and I happened to see you. Since I happened to chance upon you, would you sign this? LOI? What does it stand for? Lack of Interest. It means you don't have a lack of interest in us. Ain't no thing but a chicken wing, just some American paperwork. Say, you know of a good Polska Kielbasa house in town? Never mind, I'll just look it up on Yelp. See you in Spokane. Do widzenia!
  (#8) Old
no bear

04-12-2012, 11:28 AM

I think Calipari and the hardcore recruiters call a trip to Poland a "run into", i.e., show up to an AAU event and "run into" a recruit and chat him up. Sorta hard to run into a kid if he's in Poland.

p.s. Maybe Spokane reminds the kid of Poland.
  (#9) Old
Staff Writer

04-13-2012, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the info, smoky.

Elaraky's indicated that he has fairly strong interest in Cal and that they're one of the main programs he's focusing on. I don't have the impression that things are as far along with him as with Karnowski, though.

Re. Karnowski, as I mentioned on the thread on him, it doesn't sound to me like he's the done deal for Gonzaga that they seem to think but time will tell.

Regardless, unless he changes his mind and makes a commitment before he's done with his season, school, testing and visits, he's planned to decide in May. We'll see if it shakes out that way.

(#10) Old
Active Bear

04-13-2012, 09:00 AM

Does Monty have just one scholarship left for 2012 after the commitment of Johnson, and the departures of Murray and Rossi? Is the current situation about the last available scholarship, and a matter of who commits first, if anyone?
  (#11) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

04-13-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
Does Monty have just one scholarship left for 2012 after the commitment of Johnson, and the departures of Murray and Rossi? Is the current situation about the last available scholarship, and a matter of who commits first, if anyone?
Seems like there's one scholly left plus Thurman's scholly is on a year to year renewal basis.
  (#12) Old
Real Bear

04-13-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCohen View Post
I know this discussion came up before, when we played these guys over the summer, but how does the level of the league the Vikings are in compare to NCAAB?
Cal didn't play the Aalborg team. They played the Danish National Team (twice iirc). A quick glance at the league Aalborg plays in looks like the US players were mostly low-to-mid major guys. Still, looks like a league with older, experienced players with size and athleticism -- have to think at least on par with some low-to-mid major programs. Somewhat akin to Kevin Bright, Eleraky will have had pretty good prep for transitioning right away to D1 hoops.

Last edited by smokeyrover; 04-13-2012 at 05:05 PM.
  (#13) Old
New Bear

04-14-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
Thanks for the info, smoky.

Elaraky's indicated that he has fairly strong interest in Cal and that they're one of the main programs he's focusing on. I don't have the impression that things are as far along with him as with Karnowski, though.

Re. Karnowski, as I mentioned on the thread on him, it doesn't sound to me like he's the done deal for Gonzaga that they seem to think but time will tell.

Regardless, unless he changes his mind and makes a commitment before he's done with his season, school, testing and visits, he's planned to decide in May. We'll see if it shakes out that way.
I heard he is being offered money to play pro ball in Spain. It is interesting to compare development of basketball players in Europe. The Euro leagues have the ability to pay players. For kids who want to play ball and don't care about school isn't this a better system? And when I say this, I don't mean as to this particular player as I have no insight on his academic intentions, but rather in Europe a kid can get paid to play ball, yet still attend university. I think it will be hard to pull kids from Europe anymore.
  (#14) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

04-18-2012, 11:48 AM

Certainly with Karnowski, and, maybe Eleraki, too, but good college coaching in the US, and D-1 competition are viewed as the preferred route to the NBA. Of the two, I'm speculating Karnowski's game is further developed, but both would benefit from Monty's tutelage on the big man's game. We'll see if either visits next month, and then...
  (#15) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

05-12-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:

According to his evaluation he "is a good tamponade"?