Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page Is next . . . what is Sam Elarky's Twitter?
Notices
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
KoreAmBear KoreAmBear is online now
True Blue Golden Bear
 
KoreAmBear's Avatar
 
Posts: 22,462
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Somewhere along the Ko`olau Summit Trail
Is next . . . what is Sam Elarky's Twitter? - 05-02-2012, 01:27 PM

Since Monty can't get it done, I'm gonna have to.

[I'm just kidding. But it's kinda sad.]
Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
cubzwin cubzwin is offline
Loyal Bear
 
Posts: 3,751
Join Date: Jul 2008
05-05-2012, 12:56 AM

I think that Monty is too honest to be a great recruiter. The kids with big egos who think they need one year of college before they start in the NBA don't want to hear the truth. They want someone to blow smoke up their ass.
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
KoreAmBear KoreAmBear is online now
True Blue Golden Bear
 
KoreAmBear's Avatar
 
Posts: 22,462
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Somewhere along the Ko`olau Summit Trail
05-05-2012, 02:00 AM

Maybe Monty should watch MCA's film, Gunning For That #1 Spot. RIP, MCA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dascD...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11lvA...eature=related

Last edited by KoreAmBear; 05-05-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
Deutsch Deutsch is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 1,866
Join Date: Jul 2008
05-05-2012, 06:46 AM

You are on to part of the issue. To compete with the citadel of dysfunction in westwood, all Monte has to do is fire good coaches and hire AAU guys who will bring their stars for a year...and then Sandy has to hook up with, oh, say Adidas, and have it be the sponsor of a certain recruit's tennis pro sister, in order to have Adidas be able to advertise in an 'all in the family' kind of way. This is big, ugly business. I have to believe there are enough real basketball coaches and programs left in the conference that they will be gunning for the bruiegos in a very big way this year...to expose them for the collection of uncoached talent they will be.
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
tequila4kapp tequila4kapp is offline
Loyal Bear
 
tequila4kapp's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,655
Join Date: Jul 2008
05-05-2012, 07:22 AM

This is so much self serving BS.

Is there a huge underhanded AAU system in Poland?

Did Monty lie when he was at Furd to get the Collins twins and others?

We aren't only losing out on premier talent (for whom this theory might apply), we are losing out on 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier recruits.
Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
sluggo_Cal sluggo_Cal is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 902
Join Date: Jul 2008
05-05-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
Maybe Monty should watch MCA's film, Gunning For That #1 Spot. RIP, MCA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dascD...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11lvA...eature=related
If we are basketball fans, we should all watch this movie. It is great. Through a connection (the only time in my life where I had a connection) I actually went to the debut and after-party. MCA seemed like a really cool guy. He will be missed.

Sluggo
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
OldBlue1999 OldBlue1999 is online now
Real Bear
 
Posts: 2,081
Join Date: Jul 2008
05-05-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tequila4kapp View Post
Did Monty lie when he was at Furd to get the Collins twins and others?
The Collins twins fell into Monty's lap. They were all set to go to fucla but Harrick got caught paying them--excuse me, "recruiting them improperly." Just google 'jim harrick ucla dinner'. He got fired, they went to Stanford. It's a red herring when talking about Monty and his recruiting.

We have the Monty that he's always been, the rest is revisionist history. Some people are just being duped by outsider(s) not to stand for "settling" for upper-half-of-the-Pac finishes while he (hopefully) builds something bigger & better.
Reply With Quote
  (#8) Old
Les Grossman Les Grossman is offline
no bear
 
Posts: 119
Join Date: Apr 2012
05-05-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tequila4kapp View Post
This is so much self serving BS.

Is there a huge underhanded AAU system in Poland?

Did Monty lie when he was at Furd to get the Collins twins and others?

We aren't only losing out on premier talent (for whom this theory might apply), we are losing out on 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier recruits.
Yep. Monty not recruiting is Monty's fault. Period.
Reply With Quote
  (#9) Old
KoreAmBear KoreAmBear is online now
True Blue Golden Bear
 
KoreAmBear's Avatar
 
Posts: 22,462
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Somewhere along the Ko`olau Summit Trail
05-05-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo_Cal View Post
If we are basketball fans, we should all watch this movie. It is great. Through a connection (the only time in my life where I had a connection) I actually went to the debut and after-party. MCA seemed like a really cool guy. He will be missed.

Sluggo
Loved MCA. Part of my youth is gone with him. I watch this and smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i1iGa96GYM
Reply With Quote
  (#10) Old
1947 1947 is offline
Active Bear
 
Posts: 487
Join Date: Dec 2011
05-05-2012, 10:53 PM

"while he (hopefully) builds something bigger & better."

NO. You cannot build bigger & better with the kind of recruiting MM and staff are delivering to date.
Reply With Quote
  (#11) Old
Richard_Lee Richard_Lee is offline
no bear
 
Posts: 1,641
Join Date: Jul 2008
05-13-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsch View Post
You are on to part of the issue. To compete with the citadel of dysfunction in westwood, all Monte has to do is fire good coaches and hire AAU guys who will bring their stars for a year...and then Sandy has to hook up with, oh, say Adidas, and have it be the sponsor of a certain recruit's tennis pro sister, in order to have Adidas be able to advertise in an 'all in the family' kind of way.


Then we should do it.

I'm tired of losing in the 1st round of the NCAA Tournament or not making it at all. There is nothing wrong with shoe companies or recruiting players hard. That's the American way. I'd like to root for a winner sometime instead of giving it the old college try and getting embarrassed at least once a year on national television.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Ad Management by RedTyger