Chat Room [14]
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Olympic Sports
Reload this Page Celina Li & Missy Franklin finish 1st & 3rd in 200 IM
Notices

(#1) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

Bluescriptcal Celina Li & Missy Franklin finish 1st & 3rd in 200 IM - 11-30-2012, 11:59 AM

http://www.swmeets.com/Realtime/Winter%20Nats/2012/

Wow-the two seventeen year-old high school seniors are super impressive. I'm shocked that Li upset Franklin!

http://www.calbears.com/sports/w-swi...112912aaa.html
GO BEARS!

Last edited by Schroeder71; 11-30-2012 at 12:03 PM.
  (#2) Old
Real Bear

Just some things to look at: - 11-30-2012, 02:06 PM

[b]I like the way Cal brings its swimming program along in a marked pace. The big meets late January thru March will tell if the way USC, Texas, Arizona swim with power in November pays off big for them.

As for the few Cal swimmers in this meet: Li, Franklin, Shields and Murphy are swimming well in the prelims and the finals so far.

Be aware that many of the swimmers in this meet are out of college. You just need to look at their ages which are posted before the school or club they represent.

Sure would be nice if Yuri (our new coach) can get Ledeky, 16 year old Olympic winner, who is just 15 and who can do great times right now in the 200-1600 frees.

Also, what I like is Celina Li is the real deal (from my hometown of Pleasanton). She is extremely versatile.

Sidebar: USC's coach brags how he has recruited a number of top prep swimmers "under Cal and Stanford's noses": Trotsky, Morgan, Stump
and Chenault. We have great prep swimmers in the Bay Area and we should be able to continue to mine those High School programs.

Last edited by longseeker; 11-30-2012 at 02:09 PM.
  (#3) Old
Real Bear

11-30-2012, 02:34 PM

Contrary to Trojan talk, U$C is not as challenging academically as either Cal or Stanfurd.
  (#4) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

Jasmine Tosky from Palo Alto High (not Trotsky)... - 12-01-2012, 11:39 AM

Both Cal and Stanford lost out on her to Troy. She is projected to be the best women's swimmer to ever come out of the CCS which is saying something. GO BEARS!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by longseeker View Post
[b]I like the way Cal brings its swimming program along in a marked pace. The big meets late January thru March will tell if the way USC, Texas, Arizona swim with power in November pays off big for them.

As for the few Cal swimmers in this meet: Li, Franklin, Shields and Murphy are swimming well in the prelims and the finals so far.

Be aware that many of the swimmers in this meet are out of college. You just need to look at their ages which are posted before the school or club they represent.

Sure would be nice if Yuri (our new coach) can get Ledeky, 16 year old Olympic winner, who is just 15 and who can do great times right now in the 200-1600 frees.

Also, what I like is Celina Li is the real deal (from my hometown of Pleasanton). She is extremely versatile.

Sidebar: USC's coach brags how he has recruited a number of top prep swimmers "under Cal and Stanford's noses": Trotsky, Morgan, Stump
and Chenault. We have great prep swimmers in the Bay Area and we should be able to continue to mine those High School programs.