Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Women's Basketball
Reload this Page 4598
Notices

(#16) Old
Loyal Bear

I won't Bring 30 Kids - 12-18-2012, 07:30 AM

but, I will be there as always. I have the Warriors game Friday night but will give those tix away so I can attend the Bears game. If kids are the answer, then why isn't our fan base larger? We have been promoting kids at weekend game for years. Our marketing department needs to find more adult fans for the here and now. That should be their focus.

As for NCAA tournament games, with the right match up and location the games can get noisy. However, they can also be subdued. Rarely are they as loud as a Cal/Furd regular season game at Haas or Maples.

I do expect more fom this team. When you are #8 people expect more. Or, maybe we are just overrated. We'll see how we respond at home against Kansas. This is a huge credibility game for the Bears. Hope you are all there to lend your support, with or without 30 kids in tow.
  (#17) Old
Loyal Bear

12-18-2012, 08:03 AM

some of you might be missing the point from a marketing standpoint...

the goal is not to bus in 4500 kids every game

if 50 of those kids plays hs basketball maybe they will make the effort to go to a game with a parent, a coach and maybe some teammates

if 20 of those kids end up at northwestern maybe they will use their student id to attend games with their rommmates

if one of those kids is a blue chip has player maybe they will commit to the local school with good vibes northwestern

wbb fans are earned one by one...there are no quick solutions like mbb or fb where a couple of big wins will draw the fans out

asu does a great job of growing their fan base thru the kids, they now under charli have a asu college kids who have been attending games since middle school and when they graduate and start families they will likely take their young kids to games...rinse and repeat

i had never been to a cal wbb game until a couple of years ago including my undergrad days until a poster here encouraged me to experience a game...now i go to a few games such as this weekend's game (i live in scottsdale) and bring my dad, wife and kids...i'm also a esp donor for fb and its important for wbb to convert as many of those deep pockets to financially support the program

100% agreed it is important not to **** off the existing fans but it is myopic for those of us on this board to think that this current cal wbb biz model is sustainable with the university budget woes...everyone needs to do what they can particuarly introducing potential new fans to cal wbb

this issue should not be divisive among bears fans but rather a shared challenge that should be collectively solved

so who are you bringing to the game this weekend?

go bears
  (#18) Old
Real Bear

12-18-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocky1 View Post
some of you might be missing the point from a marketing standpoint...

the goal is not to bus in 4500 kids every game

if 50 of those kids plays hs basketball maybe they will make the effort to go to a game with a parent, a coach and maybe some teammates

if 20 of those kids end up at northwestern maybe they will use their student id to attend games with their rommmates

if one of those kids is a blue chip has player maybe they will commit to the local school with good vibes northwestern

wbb fans are earned one by one...there are no quick solutions like mbb or fb where a couple of big wins will draw the fans out

asu does a great job of growing their fan base thru the kids, they now under charli have a asu college kids who have been attending games since middle school and when they graduate and start families they will likely take their young kids to games...rinse and repeat

i had never been to a cal wbb game until a couple of years ago including my undergrad days until a poster here encouraged me to experience a game...now i go to a few games such as this weekend's game (i live in scottsdale) and bring my dad, wife and kids...i'm also a esp donor for fb and its important for wbb to convert as many of those deep pockets to financially support the program

100% agreed it is important not to **** off the existing fans but it is myopic for those of us on this board to think that this current cal wbb biz model is sustainable with the university budget woes...everyone needs to do what they can particuarly introducing potential new fans to cal wbb

this issue should not be divisive among bears fans but rather a shared challenge that should be collectively solved

so who are you bringing to the game this weekend?

go bears
Nice post, Shocky!