Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page Berkeley's Langston Morris Walker..
Notices

(#1) Old
Real Bear

Berkeley's Langston Morris Walker.. - 12-21-2012, 11:04 AM

He graduated from B High last year and would play pick-up at the RSF as well. Almost feels weird seeing him at OSU...
  (#2) Old
Loyal Bear

12-21-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcocoon007 View Post
He graduated from B High last year and would play pick-up at the RSF as well. Almost feels weird seeing him at OSU...
Didn't someone here want to offer him over Wallace? Or was that because they thought we wouldn't get Wallace?
  (#3) Old
Golden Bear

12-21-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster99 View Post
Didn't someone here want to offer him over Wallace?
I don't think so. More like folks just wanted Cal to offer him period. I believe Cal had three schollies available when LMW chose OSU. Since he is more of a wing, maybe some folks wanted him over Johnson?
  (#4) Old
Golden Bear

Lmw - 12-21-2012, 03:23 PM

I'm one who had an opinion about Langston. I thought we should sign him as an athletic wing, and a good defender. I understood he didn't have a great outside shot, but felt that would be acceptable. I read that Cal was his #1 choice.

Another advantage was he was local and played on the Oakland Soiders.

However Wallace was always one of our priority recruits. I certainly did not want LMW over Wallace. On the other hand, I would have probably chose him over Johnson at the time (although I don't think anyone here knew we were recruiting Johnson at the time of LMW's recruitment).

As a freshmen, he is playing limited minutes on a pretty good OSU team, although his he doesn't have many stats (good or bad). Too early to say, but I still think we should have signed him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil Bear View Post
I don't think so. More like folks just wanted Cal to offer him period. I believe Cal had three schollies available when LMW chose OSU. Since he is more of a wing, maybe some folks wanted him over Johnson?

I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez
  (#5) Old
Active Bear

12-21-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
I'm one who had an opinion about Langston. I thought we should sign him as an athletic wing, and a good defender. I understood he didn't have a great outside shot, but felt that would be acceptable. I read that Cal was his #1 choice.

Another advantage was he was local and played on the Oakland Soiders.

However Wallace was always one of our priority recruits. I certainly did not want LMW over Wallace. On the other hand, I would have probably chose him over Johnson at the time (although I don't think anyone here knew we were recruiting Johnson at the time of LMW's recruitment).

As a freshmen, he is playing limited minutes on a pretty good OSU team, although his he doesn't have many stats (good or bad). Too early to say, but I still think we should have signed him.
Similar to what HoopsDreams stated above:

I had made posts in past that I felt LMW would be a good add. I really liked his game out of Berkeley High. His role on the Oakland Soldiers was more of a role player, but that was because the roster had: B Ashley, J Bird, A Gordon, D Artis as the main players. Would I want him more so than Wallace? no, but again, felt he would be a good add last year and help serve as segway into the Soldiers organization. (this was a year before Bird signed on recently)
As freshman at Oregon State, his PT is low, but still can be a contributor in future years there.

here is his Sr year in HS vid highlight clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOkbbxbavdw

Last edited by gobears; 12-21-2012 at 04:55 PM.
  (#6) Old
Real Bear

12-22-2012, 01:58 AM

While LMW needs to improve his scoring ability, he has good slasher & passing skills that would compliment our O game. Aside from Cobb, we lack another player a slasher with a 'no look' passing skills. Plus he looks like he doesn't mind taking it to the rim with contacts.

Hopefully LMW can become Cunningham (sp?) but won't torch us when we play OSU.

What tangibles does Johnson have over LMW?
  (#7) Old
Real Bear

12-22-2012, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCalBears View Post
If I'm remembering it right, we took Kreklow over LMW.

LMW really wanted to come to Cal and I was bummed we didn't offer him at the time. What we've seen of Kreklow so far suggests that Monty made the right choice.
  (#8) Old
Loyal Bear

12-22-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCalBears View Post
While LMW needs to improve his scoring ability, he has good slasher & passing skills that would compliment our O game. Aside from Cobb, we lack another player a slasher with a 'no look' passing skills. Plus he looks like he doesn't mind taking it to the rim with contacts.

Hopefully LMW can become Cunningham (sp?) but won't torch us when we play OSU.

Hard to compare Johnson, since we have seen so little of him. From that, it appears he can make a 3, can drive back his defender and hit a 15' step back jumper, and can get high for a rebound.

We'll have to see how the careers of each unfold.

Go Bears!
  (#9) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-22-2012, 07:22 AM

As a proud Yellowjacket alumn I always want to see BHS kids go to Cal and do well in football and basketball. I can't actually remember the last time that happened. Fair number of kids from the Oakland HSs and Richmond but someone remind me the last time a kid from town shined?
  (#10) Old
Golden Bear

Boyd - 12-22-2012, 08:07 AM

I think Brittney Boyd of the women's team is from Berkeley HS.

By the way, the women's team just beat top 25 Kansas and are ranked #8 nationally

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
As a proud Yellowjacket alumn I always want to see BHS kids go to Cal and do well in football and basketball. I can't actually remember the last time that happened. Fair number of kids from the Oakland HSs and Richmond but someone remind me the last time a kid from town shined?

I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez
  (#11) Old
Active Bear

12-22-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
the 2 best players that played for the Men's program are:

Gene Ransom 1975 Berkeley High Grad
Phil Chenier 1968 Berkeley High Grad
  (#12) Old
Real Bear

12-22-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
I think Brittney Boyd of the women's team is from Berkeley HS.

By the way, the women's team just beat top 25 Kansas and are ranked #8 nationally
Yes, Brittney is from BHS. Great talent and passion for the game. Worth the price of admission for sure ($10 and you can sit right at courtside or even on The Bench next to her family).
  (#13) Old
Real Bear

12-22-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Dont follow recruiting closely. Did Cal ever recruit Dior Lowhorn? How about Wendell Mckines, who came onto the scene as a freshmen phenom at tha High (aka Richmond High)