Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page Ricky not suited up
Notices

(#16) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-22-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearister View Post
I am a huge Monty fan. But I am street smart and sophisticated. He was not being humorous. Don't patronize me. Next time I need any sh*t from you I'll squeeze your head.
hahahaha
  (#17) Old
Golden Bear

game today - 12-22-2012, 09:09 PM

nice feel good game for the holidays. the only time I like playing teams like this is at the very beginning of the season, and right before Christmas.

All missions accomplished today, but the one thing we could do was sustain an injury. Sounds like it wasn't a major concussion, so hopefully he'll be ok. He left the arena and did not return. I felt that guard was all over him and should have been called a foul earlier when he was riding him hard everytime Smith got the ball.

Not sure what happened with Cobb's T, but it didn't look like he deserved it to me. Another example of a Ref just doing what he sees on TV...calling a double T. Monty didn't think Cobbs deserved the T either judging from the fact he put him right back in the game.

Maybe the best game for Solo in a Cal uniform. He was aggressive on offense, and has a good move to get to the basket and finish. Usually you don't want a big to put the ball on the floor like that, but I think he does it with enough skill and quickness that it's a good move for him. He got hacked on the arm in the 2nd half when he did it again. 1 board away from a double double.

Crabbe and Cobbs looked like they could score at will. As I said early, Crabbe had the best looking drive and finishes I've seen him do. He drove with confidence and finished strong. On the post game radio, Wheels said he has spoken to several NBA scouts and they say that Crabbe is a pro. They say that he has length and that the NBA always need stretch shooters. Unfortunately I think this is the last year with Crabbe in a Cal uniform, so we better enjoy him now.

Good to see Powers hit those two shots. He is our 3rd best shooter on this team and knows the system. If he can play defense then we could use him when we need more shooters on the floor, or when Crabbe is out.

Bak looked stronger (more solid) than last year. Still doesn't look comfortable out there, but he made some plays.

Brehens and Johnson both looked pretty athletic. Brehens looks like he's close to 100%, and maybe feeling more confident with his knee.

Wallace still not shooting well. He needs to improve his shot, otherwise people are going to sag on him, and he won't be able to drive. Also with Smith down, he played some point, but didn't fair too well. He'll get another chance against Harvard.

Even walkon Galvin played. He looked a little shaky at first, but he made a move that left the defender look silly, drawing a nice 'awe' from the crowd. Too bad he didn't hit that open 14 footer.

In the Monty post game (video)...he said that Cal is in the middle of the conference right now. I think that's right. Maybe 5th, but with the potential to get up to 3rd or 4th if everyone gets/stays healthy.

I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez
  (#18) Old
Real Bear

12-22-2012, 10:29 PM

I wasn't patronizing...I was criticizing the quick trigger on questioning a veteran coach's regard for player welfare. You made it clear that you felt the coach was expressing a D.I. type insistence on playing while hurt... If you think that's what's going on, man up and say it...don't wimp out by peeing in the direction of the first guy who disagrees.
  (#19) Old
Loyal Bear

12-22-2012, 10:56 PM

To me it is not about Monty in particular, but a more general ethos in sports about the nobility of playing hurt.

Players receive accolades for it, but what are those worth to the athlete years later, when he may have some varying degree of disability or pain that dogs him for the rest of his life?

If Ricky can decrease his pain by rest right now, to me that says he will not improve his long term prognosis by playing in a few days or even weeks when he clearly will not have healed. Even if--and I doubt any medical authority can speak with certainty on the matter--Ricky has just a 10% chance of making his foot worse by playing on it, this is too high a risk. He may have 50 to 70 years to live. During most of those he will not be a basketball player. But he will need good feet.

Let the young man heal. Our win/loss record is trivial, inconsequential, alongside his lifetime health.
  (#20) Old
Real Bear

12-23-2012, 05:54 AM

Question: Is the current pain due to the same stress issue or is this ligament related. Makes a difference in my thinking.
  (#21) Old
Golden Bear

Location: Black roof country no gold pavements tired starlings
12-23-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
.... As I said early, Crabbe had the best looking drive and finishes I've seen him do. He drove with confidence and finished strong. On the post game radio, Wheels said he has spoken to several NBA scouts and they say that Crabbe is a pro. They say that he has length and that the NBA always need stretch shooters. Unfortunately I think this is the last year with Crabbe in a Cal uniform, so we better enjoy him now...
He was amazing last night. If he stays another year he will have performances like that with regularity against teams of the caliber of Creighton as well. I see his draft status increasing significantly if he stays one more year. I don't see any down side except the proverbial risk of injury--but Allen appears to have been blessed with the gift of durability.
  (#22) Old
Loyal Bear

12-23-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsch View Post
Question: Is the current pain due to the same stress issue or is this ligament related. Makes a difference in my thinking.
Well, one followed the other. Coincidence? I doubt it.
  (#23) Old
Loyal Bear

12-23-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearister View Post
He was amazing last night. If he stays another year he will have performances like that with regularity against teams of the caliber of Creighton as well. I see his draft status increasing significantly if he stays one more year. I don't see any down side except the proverbial risk of injury--but Allen appears to have been blessed with the gift of durability.
Watching him grow, I am inclined to think we shall see more slashing moves like the best, as HD pointed them out, in upcoming games. If Allen can do this in conference, we will see him next year in the NBA. This has been his goal and he will be ready if he continues his improvement in the more challenging part of the season

Go Bears!
  (#24) Old
Loyal Bear

12-23-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsch View Post
According to Kreklow it is not the stress issue bothering him at this point, but a ligament that he strained during warmups. Was the strain related to not having practiced because of the stress issue? I haven't seen anything one way or the other.
  (#25) Old
Golden Bear

12-23-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south bender View Post
Watching him grow, I am inclined to think we shall see more slashing moves like the best, as HD pointed them out, in upcoming games. If Allen can do this in conference, we will see him next year in the NBA. This has been his goal and he will be ready if he continues his improvement in the more challenging part of the season

Go Bears!
I'm just glad he came to play. He had a completely different demeanor from the start.
  (#26) Old
Loyal Bear

12-23-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil Bear View Post
I'm just glad he came to play. He had a completely different demeanor from the start.
Yes, his demeanor always makes me think that is not a mean bone in his body.
  (#27) Old
Loyal Bear

12-23-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Yes, his demeanor always makes me think that is not a mean bone in his body.
Whoops! Meant say there is not a mean bone...
  (#28) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-23-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Whoops! Meant to say there is not a mean bone...
you know there's an edit button, right?
  (#29) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-23-2012, 02:31 PM

Didn't hear 910 but the question in the video press conference was "How is Bradon". Answer - "Probably has a concussion". Nothing elaborate or funny. Said it straight and didn't go "old school".
  (#30) Old
Golden Bear

I thought... - 12-23-2012, 05:37 PM

in Monty's press conference (see video), he said "slight concussion"

In any respect, that's two for Smith. Not sure if he's had any before Cal, but any additional concussion at this point is bad news.

One of the things that really bother me is when a defender (or team) is overly aggressive and fouling our players at every moment. Yet, we get called just for the reach because it's obvious.

Well it was pretty obvious that that guard was fouling Smith over and over again, yet no call. He practically threw Smith to the ground on the play that he got a concussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
Didn't hear 910 but the question in the video press conference was "How is Bradon". Answer - "Probably has a concussion". Nothing elaborate or funny. Said it straight and didn't go "old school".

I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez