Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > Archives > Cal Fans: Best Food
Reload this Page OT: Jewish Delis: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Pastrami
Notices

(#136) Old
Loyal Bear

12-23-2012, 01:34 PM

Jewish guy answer, with wife consulation(Philly version): Reuben is not "Jewish food."
As a rule, us Jewish gluttons put Mayo into Tuna Salad, Chicken Salad, etc.,end of story. Not like there is a "right or wrong" about this (and this certainly has nothing to do wit Kosher rules), but "Jewish deli" sandwiches are about the meat and spicy mustard.
Note: all answers on this thread lack credibility unless you have had a Tongue Sandwich at some point or another...
  (#137) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-23-2012, 02:17 PM

Sadly, I do not care for tongue. It's a texture thing and also probably because I almost bit through my own when I was young and it reminds me of that.
  (#138) Old
Real Bear

12-23-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbBear View Post
Jewish guy answer, with wife consulation(Philly version): Reuben is not "Jewish food."
As a rule, us Jewish gluttons put Mayo into Tuna Salad, Chicken Salad, etc.,end of story. Not like there is a "right or wrong" about this (and this certainly has nothing to do wit Kosher rules), but "Jewish deli" sandwiches are about the meat and spicy mustard.
Note: all answers on this thread lack credibility unless you have had a Tongue Sandwich at some point or another...
About 20 years ago I was in New York with several co-workers for a conference. I insisted that one dinner MUST be at Carnegie Deli. Being the only MOT in the group and the only one with east coast ties, they didn't understand my excitement but agreed to go. Once inside, they were snapping pictures and "ooh-ing and aaah-ing" over the enormous sandwiches and plates of food passing by. While they ordered nice sandwiches and what-not, I ordered the tongue dinner. I have to say that I was quite proud of my goyim companions when they all sampled my dinner and none of them ran running.

Unfortunately I haven't had a good tongue sandwich in years, maybe my next trip to a good deli I'll take care of that problem.
  (#139) Old
Loyal Bear

12-23-2012, 08:50 PM

Going to have to add Rascal's in Hollywood, Florida to the list. It is a lot better than Carnegie's in NYC, absolutely jam-packed.