Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page What Assistant Coach positions remain to be filled?
Notices

(#16) Old
Real Bear

12-25-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGolfingBear View Post
Slot, with great respect, I hope you lose!
So do I - but I don't think I will be. I did think they were dead on in going after Aranda - it did sound like he was perhaps their first choice. Just curious - did they ever talk to the DC guy at Boise - can't spell his name - maybe they did and I missed it.

Look not trying to rain on the end of the parade - I do like, make that really like most of the hires.
  (#17) Old
Real Bear

12-25-2012, 08:12 PM

Am marooned with the in laws. Ten degrees outside. Wind howling. 85 degrees inside. Large untrained dog engaged in reign of terror and no one seems to care. Someone is smoking which just adds to the ambiance. No football.

Multiple attempts to lower thermostat thwarted. Opened a window at one point and this was met with much displeasure. Tad grouchy and bored. Decided to research aforementioned Coach Sentercich. I admit all that really stands out in my mind pre research is his defenses were not that great and Leach fired him mid season. Admittedly, he has forgotten more football than I will ever know. Still - his record as DC against his biggest rivals - Furd and Texas stands at 0-9. Looks like defenses put up a good fight in first two Furd losses. After that, points allowed in these rivalry losses - 31,36,35,43,51,52 and 35.

Am wondering if I just walked into the Living Room nude if I could get the thermostat turned down to 80.
  (#18) Old
Real Bear

12-25-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
Thompson hasn't been contacted by Cal so he would be highly unlikely to be added. Haven't heard if Ambrose has been contacted, though.
MB, are you talking about Chris Thomsen, Texas Tech OL coach, and Interim HC, different spelling?
  (#19) Old
Loyal Bear

12-25-2012, 08:48 PM

No he's referring to our old linebacker coach, K. Thompson
  (#20) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-26-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotright20 View Post
Am marooned with the in laws. Ten degrees outside. Wind howling. 85 degrees inside. Large untrained dog engaged in reign of terror and no one seems to care. Someone is smoking which just adds to the ambiance. No football.

Multiple attempts to lower thermostat thwarted. Opened a window at one point and this was met with much displeasure. Tad grouchy and bored. Decided to research aforementioned Coach Sentercich. I admit all that really stands out in my mind pre research is his defenses were not that great and Leach fired him mid season. Admittedly, he has forgotten more football than I will ever know. Still - his record as DC against his biggest rivals - Furd and Texas stands at 0-9. Looks like defenses put up a good fight in first two Furd losses. After that, points allowed in these rivalry losses - 31,36,35,43,51,52 and 35.

Am wondering if I just walked into the Living Room nude if I could get the thermostat turned down to 80.
This is one funny post. Sorry to laugh about your discomfort. Hope it gets better.
  (#21) Old
Real Bear

12-26-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW67MSW View Post
I have a concern.Aside from Ingram our running backs coach who looks like a great hire, do we have any other minority coaches? What about Thompson; he was a good recruiter/linebacker coach with Texas connections. This would free Buh up to be a true defensive coordinator.
What is the concern?

Labeling someone a "minority" coach or hire is an insult.

A coach is a coach is a coach.
  (#22) Old
Loyal Bear

12-26-2012, 09:09 AM

DC at BSU seems even more attached to Boise than Petersen.

Setencich had good defensive units (he also had some bad ones) at Cal and TTU. Better defenses than any of Buh's.

Dyke's obviously knows more about football and coaching than I do, but I am skeptical about this defensive staff.
  (#23) Old
Real Bear

12-26-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbearo View Post
DC at BSU seems even more attached to Boise than Petersen.

Setencich had good defensive units (he also had some bad ones) at Cal and TTU. Better defenses than any of Buh's.

Dyke's obviously knows more about football and coaching than I do, but I am skeptical about this defensive staff.
I'm with you here.

I have expectations of our offensive staff. I have hopes for our defensive staff.
  (#24) Old
Real Bear

12-26-2012, 10:11 AM

On Buh, the thing that I keep coming back to is a game Nevada played in Lubbock a few years ago. Tubs second team in Lubbock - crazy Tech team, beat OU one week , lose to someone like Iowa State the next but overall a mediocre Tech team.

Nevada blows 10 point lead in 4th quarter and that happens but it was the way it happened that bothered me- Tech ran the ball a bunch against an alignment which seemed easy pickings for the run. Do not remember any Nevada adjustment. Now to be fair, saw his defense play a great half of football against Boise in 2010 ( and an awful one against Oregon one of those Nevada years - not the first team to experience that .) But the Tech game I keep coming back to. Probably not fair, to put so much emphasis on one game but that Tech game was winnable.
  (#25) Old
Loyal Bear

Location: Ben Lomond, a small town outside of Santa Cruz in the mountains
12-26-2012, 10:26 AM

Does anybody know who will be coaching the QBsd? Would it be Franklin or someone else?
  (#26) Old
Loyal Bear

12-27-2012, 02:59 PM

Although given the large% of minority players, I would think having some minority coaches is important for recruiting and perhaps in relating to players who are having cultural adjustments at Cal.

One knock on Thompson is that his Texas connections are not all that important given the large Texas contingent on the offensive staff. I really liked Coach Thompson and hope he lands a good job.