Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page Dykes contract
Notices

(#1) Old
Loyal Bear

Dykes contract - 12-26-2012, 09:14 AM

Any word yet what the details are? Is there a buyout clause somewhere in the small print? Did Sandy make sure not to repeat history?
  (#2) Old
Loyal Bear

Location: Ben Lomond, a small town outside of Santa Cruz in the mountains
12-26-2012, 10:22 AM

Yes, now that all the coaches have been hired, I would hope we would start to get some of the details of the cost of the firing and hirings. We still don't even know the details of JT's dismissal, although that may change anyway if he is hired in the next couple of months.
  (#3) Old
Real Bear

12-26-2012, 12:45 PM

It will change over time that is for sure. Tedford has a duty to mitigate damages and it is up to us as to when enforcement begins ie. when we start no longer paying him his usual salary and putting the ball in his court to sue us for breach of contract. Then the issue will turn on whether he has made reasonable efforts to discharge his duty to mitigate. One thing is certain, he cannot sit on his hands indefinitely and expect to keep getting his checks without putting forth what a judge or jury would ultimately determine to be reasonable efforts to mitigate. Many parties in similar situations settle for a discounted sum to avoid future litigation about the issue. I don't know how this was resolved with Tedoford but he won't get "every cent" as some posters have indicated.

Last edited by bearagze; 12-26-2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: clarification
  (#4) Old
Real Bear

12-26-2012, 12:50 PM

https://soundcloud.com/the-sorentino...a-county-sweet

(#5) Old
Active Bear

12-26-2012, 12:58 PM

I hope he gets every cent he has coming to him...
  (#6) Old
Loyal Bear

12-26-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
I hope he gets every cent he has coming to him...

How few will that be?
  (#7) Old
Loyal Bear

12-26-2012, 01:38 PM

This has been discussed ad nasiuem, and no way will UCB stop paying Tedford and force him to sue - talk about some bad press. Only Al Davis would do that. Not aware of any college program doing so.

My guess is this will be worked out and we will know the buyout terms in few months. If no buyout, probably only on hook for 1 year, as JT will probably get a job next year, although possibly for less money
  (#8) Old
Loyal Bear

12-26-2012, 02:31 PM

i think JT ends up being someone's OC or QB coach next year which means we will be on the hook for almost the entire rest of his contract
  (#9) Old
Loyal Bear

12-26-2012, 02:39 PM

It's my understanding that they've been negotiating a flat fee buyout of JT's contract, but I haven't heard anything for a while so I'm not sure as to the status currently.
  (#10) Old
Loyal Bear

How much do NFL OCs get? - 12-26-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears725 View Post
i think JT ends up being someone's OC or QB coach next year which means we will be on the hook for almost the entire rest of his contract
I believe his contract states that only jobs that count toward mitigation are college HCs or NFL OC jobs. He can't take a job as a college OC unless he already has a buyout agreement in place with Cal.
  (#11) Old
Loyal Bear

12-26-2012, 02:56 PM

good to know. who would hire him?
  (#12) Old
Loyal Bear

12-26-2012, 05:29 PM

But when will Dyke's contract be known? Tedford's is water under the bridge. When you fire him, you expect the worst (payout every cent), and hope for the best (he becomes coach of _______?). Either way he isn't our coach. I want to know whether Sandy negotiated a better out clause than what she did with Tedford. I'm excited to hell about having Dykes running the show, but there WILL BE a day when we will show him the door as well.
  (#13) Old
Active Bear

12-26-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearagze View Post
It will change over time that is for sure. Tedford has a duty to mitigate damages and it is up to us as to when enforcement begins ie. when we start no longer paying him his usual salary and putting the ball in his court to sue us for breach of contract. Then the issue will turn on whether he has made reasonable efforts to discharge his duty to mitigate. One thing is certain, he cannot sit on his hands indefinitely and expect to keep getting his checks without putting forth what a judge or jury would ultimately determine to be reasonable efforts to mitigate. Many parties in similar situations settle for a discounted sum to avoid future litigation about the issue. I don't know how this was resolved with Tedoford but he won't get "every cent" as some posters have indicated.
If you force a suit you only make it worse. The contract money plus damages! Forget this foolishness, Cal owes Tedford what they owe him and that's what they will pay him (every cent). JT holds all the cards in this situation and it's not the first time in college football it has happened.

Jwc...
  (#14) Old
Loyal Bear

12-26-2012, 09:23 PM

Atleast twice. . . .and once more in the morning.
  (#15) Old
Real Bear

12-27-2012, 04:40 PM

Good. I think that would be in the interests of both parties. Stems the bleeding for us and saves him from further stress and legal fees.