Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page Bigelow for Heisman
Notices

(#46) Old
Loyal Bear

12-26-2012, 03:10 PM

Bigelow 2012 stat refresher:

9.8 yards/rush attempt
13.1 yards/reception

No negative yardage plays (maybe 1 but I don't remember).
  (#47) Old
Active Bear

12-28-2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie317 View Post
Bigelow 2012 stat refresher:

9.8 yards/rush attempt
13.1 yards/reception

No negative yardage plays (maybe 1 but I don't remember).

I like Bigelow, I've got him on my fantasy team just in case. But you have to remember his stats are based on a limited sample size. Too many unknowns to think you can extrapolate those stats into a full season's load of 25-30 carries a game for 12 games. Yes the new RB coach is stoked about his potential but that's what it is for now: potential. No more Heisman talk please. It's as premature as a 30 second climax.
  (#48) Old
Real Bear

12-28-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder71 View Post
Bigelow has not proven durable for 25-30 touches per game that it would take to be in contention for the Heisman. He has also fumbled too often.
Please let him split the running duties with Lasco next season before discussing him as a viable candidate. GO BEARS!

_______
I believe Lasco fumbled 3 times losing 2 of them in like 8 touches which was much worse than Bigelow. That said, they'll both get better with holding on to ball with increased playing time and confidence. I don't think JT provided much of either to Bigelow or Lasco.
  (#49) Old
Loyal Bear

12-28-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
How can you prove longevity in practice? How does that work? If you can't tell right now that bigelow will be ahead of Manuel in the depth chart by now then i got some Tedford rose bowl tickets to sell to you. Stop this everybody is even and have a chance, some people are just more talented and will start barring unforeseen circumstances. Heck lets make a bet right now 2 to 1, I take bigelow and you take the field and I'll put $500 on it. Put your money where your mouth is.
Your RABID "enthusiasm" for Bigelow is a bit over the top ... strange.

I think most people are looking forward to seeing the offensive schemes develop and understand that Sonny is concerned with "fit", not premature promotion.
Recognition for whomever, whenever, will be performance-based and the "fit" of any player will be determined by the coaches daily.
  (#50) Old
Real Bear

12-28-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
How can you prove longevity in practice? How does that work? If you can't tell right now that bigelow will be ahead of Manuel in the depth chart by now then i got some Tedford rose bowl tickets to sell to you. Stop this everybody is even and have a chance, some people are just more talented and will start barring unforeseen circumstances. Heck lets make a bet right now 2 to 1, I take bigelow and you take the field and I'll put $500 on it. Put your money where your mouth is.
I can tell you for sure that Bigelow will be ahead of Manuel on the depth chart. Manuel was a senior last year and is not on the current roster. It looks like, except for Bigelow, you don’t follow Cal football much.

I love Bigelow. I wish you and Bigelow all the luck in the world, but the famous gambler, Amarillo Slim, once said, “Never bet on any thing that eats”. Good advice for you and for me. I won’t take your bet.

(#51) Old
Real Bear

12-28-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Tedford benched both bigelow and maybe lasco (hard to tell since he didn't play much) for fumbles but not sofeil. I guess you don't follow cal football very much.
Bigelow lost 3 fumbles last year. Lasco lost 2. Since you follow Bigelow, how many times was he benched? If you say it happened, I believe you. I confess I did not see every single play of every game. There were times I got so disgusted with the way we were playing, that I turned off the TV. And as the season went on, it happened more often. I think I did see all of Bigelow’s runs, however, and he was terrific.

Cal lost 17 fumbles last year. Maynard lost 3, Harper lost 3, Anderson lost 2, Sofele lost 2. Allen and Powe also fumbled. Did you ever see any of these players benched for losing a fumble? I sure didn't.
  (#52) Old
Loyal Bear

12-28-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfCalVa View Post

I think most people are looking forward to seeing the offensive schemes develop and understand that Sonny is concerned with "fit", not premature promotion.
Recognition for whomever, whenever, will be performance-based and the "fit" of any player will be determined by the coaches daily.
That's like saying desean will not play unless he's a fit. I want to know what system jahvid best does not fit in. You can argue that bigelow doesn't have their stats but that's due to lack of playing time not ability
  (#53) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-28-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfCalVa View Post

I think by "fit" Sonny D was referring to recruits, not starters. He wants to recruit kids that "fit" at Cal.

On offense, he said he wants to get the best players on the field, almost regardless of position. He wants to have them do the things they do well. That is great news for Bigelow. Issues with pass blocking (for example) will not keep him off of the field).

Your point that each position will be evaluated every day and that nothing is guaranteed to Bigelow is noted. True freshman Muhammad could be even better in this offense, for example.

However, all indications from comments made by Sonny D and Franklin are that they already see how great Bigelow can be in their offense--so I think it is safe to start the hype--with the caveat that someone may emerge who is even better. No need to worry, here will be a lot more plays in the offense--especially if we are successful--with plenty of touches for all our skill players.
  (#54) Old
Real Bear

12-28-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCityBear View Post
Tedford used to always bench a player who had just fumbled. No matter how good the player was, Tedford held him out of the game for a quarter or a half. The last few years, he gradually stopped doing this. It was then that I first suspected that Tedford had lost the competitive fire in his belly. Last season, I don't remember him benching any player for a fumble.
It's too bad JT didn't go back to his old style of coaching......Maynard may not have played then. Maynard fumbled incredibly 11 times, losing 3. About once a game on average.
  (#55) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-28-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyamada View Post
It's too bad JT didn't go back to his old style of coaching......Maynard may not have played then. Maynard fumbled incredibly 11 times, losing 3. About once a game on average.
Still think Bridgford would have saved the season if only he played?

Cal lost 17 fumbles this year--top 10 in the nation. That Maynard only gave up 3 of those is rather remarkable considering he touched the ball on every offensive play when he played, we operated out of the shotgun (and had trouble with snaps), utilized read option but apparently didn't practice it nearly as much as most teams do and were 5th in the nation in sacks allowed.

Tedford has never benched a quarterback for fumbling. It was mostly Arrington and Lynch that got benched for fumbling.
  (#56) Old
Loyal Bear

12-29-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumnus View Post
I think by "fit" Sonny D was referring to recruits, not starters. He wants to recruit kids that "fit" at Cal.

On offense, he said he wants to get the best players on the field, almost regardless of position. He wants to have them do the things they do well. That is great news for Bigelow. Issues with pass blocking (for example) will not keep him off of the field).

Your point that each position will be evaluated every day and that nothing is guaranteed to Bigelow is noted. True freshman Muhammad could be even better in this offense, for example.

However, all indications from comments made by Sonny D and Franklin are that they already see how great Bigelow can be in their offense--so I think it is safe to start the hype--with the caveat that someone may emerge who is even better. No need to worry, here will be a lot more plays in the offense--especially if we are successful--with plenty of touches for all our skill players.
From what I've read in the links as well as recent posts by MoragaBear, "fit" is the opposite of what you said. Guys are NOT being recruited for "fit". Coaches are trying to get the best players available.

"Fit" is determined on how the coaches evaluate where and how players mesh into the system. My understanding is that the system is flexible and varied, giving each player a chance to demonstrate their skills.

Bigelow, Lasco, even new recruits, will all have ample opportunity to demonstrate what they do best, how they "fit" based upon coaches constant evaluations. Guys won't be standing around in practice. They'll be doing and demonstrating their skills, fast and furious, up-tempo.

Keeping a guy off the field because he wasn't adept at blocking was a demonstration of JT's concept of "fit", benching Bigelow because he was a "round peg" who didn't fit into JT's square hole ("blocking"). There were too many examples of decent to excellent athletes who rarely saw the field under JT because of that "round/square hole" fixation of his and some awful examples of guys who did see the field.

I think it's exciting, considering just the RBs, that Bigelow AND Lasco (et.al.) will get game time (and rest time) based upon game conditions. The position they play at any particular time could vary. Finally, instead of trying to force "every down" players, time on the field will be based on performance and the offensive scheme. I think we'll finally see more than one QB getting not only practice time but also playing time.

It's going to be interesting, indeed exciting, to watch the BearRaid emerge, especially since practices will be open. Bigelow AND Lasco will be on the field together at times causing the opposing D to have fits.

Parenthetically, I have a neighbor who helped form the Hampton Roads (Virginia) tOSU booster club. He was impressed that Cal landed Lasco as his reputation was huge and he'd hoped tOSU would get him.

Bigelow vs Lasco vs <whomever> is no longer an "either/or" proposition.
I have hopes of again seeing multiple huge running yardage backs, with many of the gains coming in huge chunks, as well as very impressive passing statistics - and lots of exciting WINS.

Bigelow for Heisman ... he'll have to earn the right to play which should be a huge motivator for him, a chance to show what he can do under the best of circumstances. JT wasted two of his years as he did with Rodgers.