Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page Watched a replay of the Academic All Star Game
Notices

(#16) Old
Mike Zillion

05-05-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaktownBear View Post
Crabbe is going to be a very good player for us - I'd look for a Joe Shipp like career.
I kinda doubt that for a couple of reasons. One - I expect Crabbe to be better early than Shipp was. Two is that I don't want to put the expectation on him that he'll be a Conference POY candidate just yet. A lot will depend on how much stronger he can get.
  (#17) Old
Mike Zillion

05-05-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumnus View Post
Joe Shipp would score a ton of points for this team next year
Joe Shipp had a chance to play for a team like this his freshman year. He showed some promise, but didn't score a ton of points.
  (#18) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

05-05-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Zillion View Post
Joe Shipp had a chance to play for a team like this his freshman year. He showed some promise, but didn't score a ton of points.
The offense ran through Lampley who scored a ton, but as a freshman Shipp averaged 9.1 points in 20 minutes of play, mostly coming off the bench. His 109 FGs were second only to Lampley, which was remarkable as he was considered an after thought to the more heralded Rockfish recruits and had to work his way into the starting lineup.

A better example for "highly rated and started slow" on that team is probably Wethers.

I think the primary way that Crabbe might not score double figures for us next year is if someone else emerges who does (like Rossi) and gets the lion's share of PT. I don't think that is likely. I also note that we don't have anyone returning who could score like Lampley.
  (#19) Old
Reno Hightower

05-05-2010, 04:00 PM

I would be surprised if Crabbe is not a double figure scorer next season. He may not be a dynamic offensive player yet but someone has to shoot the ball and Crabbe seems the most likely of the frosh to be taking those shots.
  (#20) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

Prep "All Star Games" are little more ... - 05-05-2010, 05:58 PM

than glorified pick-up games. Anyone who reads more than that into them is a damn fool. Players who are used to a team environment often do not get big statistics in those games.

As for Cal-bound guys who avoid contact in such games, more power to them that they choose not to risk injury and prefer to arrive on campus healthy. I have no doubt mike Montgomery will encourage them to spend time in the weight room and teach them to play hard.
  (#21) Old
Active Bear

Attitude right for an all-star game. - 05-05-2010, 08:41 PM

As to aggressiveness, I thought the four Cal recruits had exactly the right attitude, have some fun, meet some people, play well, but let the game come to you, don't try to be player of the game or prove a lot in a game like this.

They will be aggressive when the time comes, and when they know their roles on the team.

This is an absolutely thrilling class of Crabbe, Solomon, Franklin, Rossi and Emerson. With Montgomery's coaching, they will form a major foundation for a great run for Cal basketball.

Get them some inside force from the current journeyman bigs, and get them some inside help in the 2011 class, and they will be an outstanding team.

Also, great to see Cal, Stanford and Washington bringing the PacX back to the top. They are the right schools for it, and maybe the PacX will be sending four or five teams to the NCAA Tournament again.
  (#22) Old
Active Bear

Thank you for the link. - 05-05-2010, 09:13 PM

GregRichardson, I forgot to thank you for the link to the replay. I would not otherwise have been able to see the game, and it was great fun to watch the four Cal recruits. The game winner by Rossi was awesome!
  (#23) Old
Loyal Bear

05-06-2010, 03:11 AM

The continued pursuit of a player for 2010 class IMO indicates he does not believe he has enough good players in the front court. Since Monty has several returnees in the front court for what is likely only 2 real spots in the rotation he obviously has concerns over the talent he has on hand.

Many schools carry only 11 scholie players, and Cal has at least 2 walk on front court players that could help fill out practices. I can understand wanting to not "save" scholarships year to year, but is Christian, Barry or Noreen or anyone else really more likely to impact the Cal program than anyone they may get in 2011?

I trust Monty, he has a great track record. But this makes me wonder about the frontcourt recruiting for 2011. Perhaps Monty believes landing players like Wiltjer or Caudill is unlikely and is getting what he can now. Monty must feel that any of these 3 mentioned will be in the rotation and will play now or why recruit them, since he already has said he won't recruit just for depth.
  (#24) Old
Loyal Bear

05-06-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6956bear View Post
The continued pursuit of a player for 2010 class IMO indicates he does not believe he has enough good players in the front court. Since Monty has several returnees in the front court for what is likely only 2 real spots in the rotation he obviously has concerns over the talent he has on hand.

Many schools carry only 11 scholie players, and Cal has at least 2 walk on front court players that could help fill out practices. I can understand wanting to not "save" scholarships year to year, but is Christian, Barry or Noreen or anyone else really more likely to impact the Cal program than anyone they may get in 2011?

I trust Monty, he has a great track record. But this makes me wonder about the frontcourt recruiting for 2011. Perhaps Monty believes landing players like Wiltjer or Caudill is unlikely and is getting what he can now. Monty must feel that any of these 3 mentioned will be in the rotation and will play now or why recruit them, since he already has said he won't recruit just for depth.
Wiltjer will be a tough get. Cal's in there for him, but he's not a sure thing at all. Caudill is still being evaluated and hasn't been offered yet and I've gut a gut feeling that they end up not offering him if better prospects surface over the summer. Caudill's got massive size and is quite skilled with a good feel, but he's a below average athlete with almost no bounce at all. It'll be intersting to see where he ends up. You either like the guy or you don't. Another guy entering the recruiting picture is 6'8" center Kenyatta Smith out of La Canada Flintridge. Smith is reportedly a physical and surprisingly nimble and bouncy, big bootied prospect with a nice skill level down low. He's a noted shot blocker, and while he's a bit undersized for the 5, he reportedly plays bigger than his height.

The thing is, if you take another frontcourt player right now, you basically take yourself out of the picture for a guy like Wiltjer or whatever other guy is out there for 2011. Now, maybe things happen and a guy transfers... who knows? But I agree that it's a bit odd to add another guy whose potential seems to be as a role player. Maybe Christian ends up being better than that, but that would be a surprise.
  (#25) Old
Loyal Bear

05-07-2010, 02:12 AM

I agree that most of the guys Cal is still looking at, appear to be role players except Remi Barry. Barry has a pretty big upside and if eligible would be worth a shot IMO. Wiltjer will be a tough get I agree, but that is what top 30 type players are. They are in demand. 6'9" guys with a varied skill set are tough to come by, so of course he has options. Monty's pursuit of additional front court help for next year suggests turnover still to come or a lack of confidence they can sign a top PF or C in 2011 IMO.

Noreen and Christian are D1 players but neither look like difference makers. I would be a little disappointed if Cal brings one of these guys in. I think Cal can get players of their skill level in the next class. Now Barry or the Wear twins are a different matter. If Cal cannot get Barry or the Wear's I would like to see them hold 3 scholies for 2011.
  (#26) Old
Mike Zillion

05-07-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6956bear View Post
I agree that most of the guys Cal is still looking at, appear to be role players except Remi Barry. Barry has a pretty big upside and if eligible would be worth a shot IMO. Wiltjer will be a tough get I agree, but that is what top 30 type players are. They are in demand. 6'9" guys with a varied skill set are tough to come by, so of course he has options. Monty's pursuit of additional front court help for next year suggests turnover still to come or a lack of confidence they can sign a top PF or C in 2011 IMO.

Noreen and Christian are D1 players but neither look like difference makers. I would be a little disappointed if Cal brings one of these guys in. I think Cal can get players of their skill level in the next class. Now Barry or the Wear twins are a different matter. If Cal cannot get Barry or the Wear's I would like to see them hold 3 scholies for 2011.
The Wear twins were the #59/60 players in the final 2009 Rivals 150. For reference, this is 10/9 spots ahead of where Crabbe ended up and 19/18 spots ahead of Franklin in this years Rivals 150. Unless you want to make an argument that last year's class was so much more talented than this one (maybe they are, maybe they aren't - I don't follow recruiting so closely that I could tell) that the 59/60 players from last year are a lot better than this years, those guys wouldn't necessarily take the team to another level.

Travis Wear's Freshman Stats (link)

David Wear's Freshman Stats (link)

Meanwhile Wiltjer is currently the #23 player in the 2011 class (as an example - I have no illusions that he or anybody else in the 2011 class is a lock for us).

All of this doesn't mean that that we shouldn't be considering these guys. Given that we're not going to be a very good team next year, it may be an awfully hard sell to convince a Top 30 type of player to come next year and maybe even if it severely upsets class balance to have 7 guys who might all theoretically expire their eligibility at the same time, it might be better to take two birds in the bush now knowing you'll be in a much better situation roster-wise in November 2011 than you are in May 2009. And then maybe you go for the big-splash guy in the 2012 class. But just keep in mind that these guys probably aren't the program-changing guys we need to take the program to the next level and they're probably a lot closer to James Keefe than Adam Keefe.
  (#27) Old
Loyal Bear

05-07-2010, 06:52 PM

Recruiting for next year is almost certain to be complete by October. Most of the top players sign in the early signing period, before the Bears have even played a game. They sport back to back appearances in the NCAA just secured a Pac 10 championship and have a proven winning coach with NBA experience. Cal fans should expect Monty to bring in a couple of top players. I am not saying they land a top 3 class, but Monty should be able to find a couple of guys in Christian or Noreens class in 2011 at the very least and maintain some class balance.
  (#28) Old
Real Bear

Golden Blog writeup of game w player overviews - 05-13-2010, 02:23 PM

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com...omon#storyjump