Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page ucla signs another guard?
Notices

(#1) Old
Golden Bear

ucla signs another guard? - 05-10-2010, 04:30 PM

per espn ucla signed PG Matt Carlino who will graduate early and play next year.

Howland said. "He is an outstanding shooter, a very good passer, a good athlete and an outstanding kid. I look for him to make an immediate impact..."

That's the second guard that UCLA signed late (the first being 6-2 PG Lazeric Jones)

How many PGs will UCLA have next year, and how many schollies do they have left (if they want to sign Wear twins)?
  (#2) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

Bluescriptcal Did Cal offer Carlino? - 05-10-2010, 11:02 PM

I read an article that alluded to other schools that he was in contact with and Cal was on the list. Just curious...GO BEARS!
  (#3) Old
Loyal Bear

05-11-2010, 02:49 AM

I think Cal was smart to add Murray over Carlino even if Carlino liked Cal. Murray has a greater upside. Carlino should be a nice player, but Murray is a better athlete and Cal has already added Crabbe, Franklin and Rossi who can all shoot from distance and Murray is decent in that area.

If Cal can land a inside impact player they could be really quite good.
  (#4) Old
Loyal Bear

Carlino Committment was discussed a couple of weeks ago - 05-11-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6956bear View Post
I think Cal was smart to add Murray over Carlino even if Carlino liked Cal. Murray has a greater upside. Carlino should be a nice player, but Murray is a better athlete and Cal has already added Crabbe, Franklin and Rossi who can all shoot from distance and Murray is decent in that area.

If Cal can land a inside impact player they could be really quite good.
http://bearinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29126

eggbeater had a review of Carlino. UCLA's 3 point shooting was bad last year so with Roll gone, Carlino might help right away

Last edited by buster99; 05-11-2010 at 04:56 AM.
  (#5) Old
Real Bear

Held back a year... - 05-11-2010, 11:03 AM

Carlino was held back a year in 8th grade, even though he is graduating early this is actually the yr he should be graduating. I belive Carlino was committed or was about to committ to Indiana. Look for him to redshirt for UCLA this year. UCLA only has 10 scholarship players with the addition of Carlino so the Wear twins should have no problem getting in.

From what i hear the Wear twins have decided to attend UCLA. So now that gives them 12 scholarship players.

Also a side not Ben Burst committed to Wisconsin and Bo Ryan this past weekend.

I really hope Cal saves the scholarship we have available for next year. Some good players out there inthe 2011 and 2012 classes.
  (#6) Old
Loyal Bear

05-11-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twams View Post
Carlino was held back a year in 8th grade, even though he is graduating early this is actually the yr he should be graduating. I belive Carlino was committed or was about to committ to Indiana. Look for him to redshirt for UCLA this year. UCLA only has 10 scholarship players with the addition of Carlino so the Wear twins should have no problem getting in.

From what i hear the Wear twins have decided to attend UCLA. So now that gives them 12 scholarship players.

Also a side not Ben Burst committed to Wisconsin and Bo Ryan this past weekend.

I really hope Cal saves the scholarship we have available for next year. Some good players out there inthe 2011 and 2012 classes.
The only way Carlino redshirts this year is if he gets hurt. UCLA needs him to play.
  (#7) Old
Real Bear

05-11-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
The only way Carlino redshirts this year is if he gets hurt. UCLA needs him to play.

I know he may possibly be the best shooter for UCLA. But he has to beat out,

Jermie Anderson
Malcolm Lee
Zeke Jones
Tyler Lamb (who a lot of people say is a better player than Crabbe)

I just dont see enough minutes there for him. But i could be wrong just my opinion. But if he was going to redshirt it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense cause he could have just stayed another year in high school.