Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page Which game do you want to win more: UO or Furd?
Notices

(#1) Old
no bear

Which game do you want to win more: UO or Furd? - 11-08-2010, 11:49 AM

If the Bears could win one game against either Oregon or the 'Furd and you had the power to select that game, which one would it be?

Oregon is on a roll. Number 1 in the BCS and looking simply unbeatable. A victory over them would be huge (Has Cal EVER beaten the top ranked team?), and do wonders for us in recruiting. We seem to compete with Oregon for a lot of recruits every year.

On the other hand, beating the 'Furd is ALWAYS great. The euphoria of winning the Big Game always lingers for quite awhile. And 'Furd is now ranked No. 6. We might knock them out of the Rose Bowl if we beat them.

If the Bears could only win one against these two, I would slightly prefer to beat the 'Furd. But it's close. How about you?

Last edited by LafayetteBear; 11-08-2010 at 11:53 AM.
  (#2) Old
Real Bear

11-08-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LafayetteBear View Post
If the Bears could win one game against either Oregon or the 'Furd and you had the power to select that game, which one would it be?

Oregon is on a roll. Number 1 in the BCS and looking simply unbeatable. A victory over them would be huge, and do wonders for us in recruiting. We seem to compete with Oregon for a lot of recruits every year.

On the other hand, beating the 'Furd is ALWAYS great. The euphoria of winning the Big Game always lingers for quite awhile. And 'Furd is now ranked No. 6. We might knock them out of the Rose Bowl if we beat them.

If the Bears could only win one against these two, I would slightly prefer to beat the 'Furd. But it's close. How about you?
Oregon, so we can say we beat the best team in the country. Would be the biggest win under Tedford's tenure.
  (#3) Old
Real Bear

11-08-2010, 11:53 AM

Stanford by a long shot. I grew up in Palo Alto and all of the bandwagon fans are coming out of the woodwork and talking trash to me. I'll take a 70 - 0 loss to Oregon as long as we beat Stanford.

Last edited by calbear289; 11-08-2010 at 12:06 PM.
  (#4) Old
Loyal Bear

Helmet 11-08-2010, 11:54 AM

Damn you Laf -

Don't you have some briefs to work on or something??
I hate this question.... Why couldn't you have asked it last week?
I would prefer to beat UO this year because they are undefeated.
I want to keep Stanfraud down at the same time...

Damn you...
  (#5) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

11-08-2010, 11:54 AM

Furd.

But beating Oregon ain't bad. Plus that could spoil the Furd's chance at the Rose Bowl too.
  (#6) Old
no bear

11-08-2010, 11:54 AM

Furd!!!!!
  (#7) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

11-08-2010, 11:56 AM

Oregon. How many times in this lifetime do you have a chance to topple #1? Don't ask a middling SEC team (say Vandy) that.
  (#8) Old
no bear

11-08-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petalumabear View Post
Damn you Laf -

Don't you have some briefs to work on or something??
I hate this question.... Why couldn't you have asked it last week?
I would prefer to beat UO this year because they are undefeated.
I want to keep Stanfraud down at the same time...

Damn you...
Sorry, PB. I'm about to go off line to do some work, in fact. I almost didn't start this thread because I acknowledge it requires some suspension of disbelief. In part because both teams look pretty tough for the Bears to beat right now. But primarily because the notion of being able to pick the game we win is somewhat laughable. Still, even though it's hypothetical, it's fun to contemplate the agony of some CybeBears (such as you) trying to decide which game to pick.
  (#9) Old
Golden Bear

11-08-2010, 12:00 PM

Oregon.

Furd continues to be just another game to me. ONe that I'm actually confident we will win, so I'm not worried.

An Oregon win would be more of a program changer. And boy do we need something like that.
  (#10) Old
no bear

11-08-2010, 12:01 PM

Tawndawg will have a frickin' FIELD DAY with this thread if he logs onto BI. LOL.
  (#11) Old
Loyal Bear

11-08-2010, 12:03 PM

I can't even believe this is a question. It's Stanford. They could still go to a BCS bowl game if they win out. Possibly the Rose Bowl*. I would gladly lose the other remaining games this year, even the bowl game, if it meant beating Stanford and taking them out of a BCS bowl. It's really the only game left that matters this year.

* If Oregon plays a non-AQ team in the championship game then the Rose Bowl is freed up to pick the #2 Pac-10 team.
  (#12) Old
Loyal Bear

Helmet 11-08-2010, 12:04 PM

Very true.... and I actually do like the thread its just a tough choice.... both would be great wins IMO..
  (#13) Old
Real Bear

11-08-2010, 12:07 PM

For me, not even close: Furd. What good are bragging rights when I don't even know any Duck fans?
  (#14) Old
Golden Bear

11-08-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadbutTrue999 View Post
Oregon.

Furd continues to be just another game to me.
I've always said the above, yet I would vote Furd if we could win only one of the two. It would improve our "recent" record against them to 8-1 and bring to a screeching halt all the chatter about how Furd is replacing us as the dominant program in the Bay. Plus, just imagine the look on Harbaugh's face at the end of a Cal upset BG win.

It'd be worth giving up the win over Oregon, the upside of which would be big but not as big (especially if we lost to Furd the next week!)
  (#15) Old
Real Bear

11-08-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear289 View Post
Stanford by a long shot. I grew up in Palo Alto and all of the bandwagon fans are jumping out of the woodwork and talking trash to me. I'll take a 70 - 0 loss to Oregon as long as we beat Stanford.
Same on all counts.

"OMG we're totally gonna beat you guys hur hur how're those road games going?"

"Didn't you tell me last year you don't care about football?"

"Uh..." *mumble, mumble*