Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page Allen Crabbe, Cal's version of George Gervin?
Notices
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
bearister bearister is offline
Golden Bear
 
bearister's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,498
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Black roof country no gold pavements tired starlings
Allen Crabbe, Cal's version of George Gervin? - 11-10-2010, 09:15 PM

I realize Sonoma State is the equivalent of the Washington Generals, but you gotta love a 6'6 guard with a sweet 3J. I think he is "as advertised." He is going to be really fun to watch. Solomon and Murray are studs too. I think Bak is better than Max. Go Bears!
Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
KoreAmBear KoreAmBear is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
KoreAmBear's Avatar
 
Posts: 22,123
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Somewhere along the Ko`olau Summit Trail
11-10-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearister View Post
I realize Sonoma State is the equivalent of the Washington Generals, but you gotta love a 6'6 guard with a sweet 3J. I think he is "as advertised." He is going to be really fun to watch. Solomon and Murray are studs too. I think Bak is better than Max. Go Bears!
Thurman may be better than Max, overall, LOL.

I really liked what I saw from Franklin, Jr.. He looked like a solid 2 guard.
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
BBIGN BBIGN is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 527
Join Date: Jul 2008
Iceman!!!!! - 11-10-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearister View Post
I realize Sonoma State is the equivalent of the Washington Generals, but you gotta love a 6'6 guard with a sweet 3J. I think he is "as advertised." He is going to be really fun to watch. Solomon and Murray are studs too. I think Bak is better than Max. Go Bears!
Great analogy!!!
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
KoreAmBear KoreAmBear is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
KoreAmBear's Avatar
 
Posts: 22,123
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Somewhere along the Ko`olau Summit Trail
11-10-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearister View Post
I realize Sonoma State is the equivalent of the Washington Generals, but you gotta love a 6'6 guard with a sweet 3J. I think he is "as advertised." He is going to be really fun to watch. Solomon and Murray are studs too. I think Bak is better than Max. Go Bears!
Why did Crabbe do a finger roll? No one does that anymore.
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
MoragaBear MoragaBear is online now
Staff Writer
 
MoragaBear's Avatar
 
Posts: 19,620
Join Date: Jul 2008
11-10-2010, 10:39 PM

Jorge did, too


Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
Civil Bear Civil Bear is online now
Golden Bear
 
Civil Bear's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,334
Join Date: Jul 2008
11-11-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
Why did Crabbe do a finger roll? No one does that anymore.
No, no finger roll.

I was thinking the better comparison would be with Josh Childress, sans fro.

I doubt Crabbe is going to have too many more 4-4 3pt and 6-6 ft in about 20-min nights, but he is going to be a good one before he leaves Cal.
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
Down10go4two Down10go4two is offline
Guest
 
Posts: 282
Join Date: Sep 2010
11-11-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil Bear View Post
I was thinking the better comparison would be with Josh Childress, sans fro.
Childress was more of an athletic slasher than shooter.
Reply With Quote
  (#8) Old
Civil Bear Civil Bear is online now
Golden Bear
 
Civil Bear's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,334
Join Date: Jul 2008
11-11-2010, 10:20 PM

All four trips to the free-throw line were caused by Crabbe slashing to the basket. The kid moved well off the ball too.

Crabbe may be a better outside shooter at this point in their careers, but from what I saw last night, both have similar games.
Reply With Quote
  (#9) Old
Down10go4two Down10go4two is offline
Guest
 
Posts: 282
Join Date: Sep 2010
11-12-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil Bear View Post
All four trips to the free-throw line were caused by Crabbe slashing to the basket.
Getting to the rim vs. Sonoma State is a little easier than getting to the rim vs. Pac 10 competition. For now, shooting is much more his game.
Reply With Quote
  (#10) Old
Civil Bear Civil Bear is online now
Golden Bear
 
Civil Bear's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,334
Join Date: Jul 2008
11-12-2010, 09:09 AM

Yes, the Sonoma St game is the only game I have had a chance to see him play. Other than that, the only thing I had to go on is reports that it wasn't until he started adding elements to his game like attacking the rim and rebounding that his stock boomed.

You make it sound like Crabbe prefers to just hang out by the perimeter. What games or reports are you basing that on?
Reply With Quote
  (#11) Old
Down10go4two Down10go4two is offline
Guest
 
Posts: 282
Join Date: Sep 2010
11-12-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil Bear View Post
Yes, the Sonoma St game is the only game I have had a chance to see him play. Other than that, the only thing I had to go on is reports that it wasn't until he started adding elements to his game like attacking the rim and rebounding that his stock boomed.
Yeah, but I don't base my opinion based on what very good high school players can do to other not-as-good high school players either. That's just as useful as making judgments based on exhibition games vs. weak collegiate opponents.

Quote:
You make it sound like Crabbe prefers to just hang out by the perimeter. What games or reports are you basing that on?
Watching him play against comparable talent.
Reply With Quote
  (#12) Old
Civil Bear Civil Bear is online now
Golden Bear
 
Civil Bear's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,334
Join Date: Jul 2008
11-12-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down10go4two View Post
Watching him play against comparable talent.
What games were those?
Reply With Quote
  (#13) Old
Down10go4two Down10go4two is offline
Guest
 
Posts: 282
Join Date: Sep 2010
11-12-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil Bear View Post
What games were those?
Same games you watched
Reply With Quote
  (#14) Old
bearister bearister is offline
Golden Bear
 
bearister's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,498
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Black roof country no gold pavements tired starlings
11-12-2010, 03:48 PM

I remember how impressed I was the first time I saw Lamond Murray play a few minutes in an exhibition game for Cal. He delivered on the potential that I saw. I was even more impressed with Crabbe's debut. I have a very hard time believing that he will not become a great player for Cal.
Reply With Quote
  (#15) Old
KoreAmBear KoreAmBear is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
KoreAmBear's Avatar
 
Posts: 22,123
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Somewhere along the Ko`olau Summit Trail
11-12-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearister View Post
I remember how impressed I was the first time I saw Lamond Murray play a few minutes in an exhibition game for Cal. He delivered on the potential that I saw. I was even more impressed with Crabbe's debut. I have a very hard time believing that he will not become a great player for Cal.
I know this is different but remember Nick Van Der Laan's first game for us? It was at the Top of the Rim Alaskan tournament and he had like 17 and 10 v. Oklahoma. We thought he was going to be a BIG TIME stud. Oh well.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Ad Management by RedTyger