Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page Should Keenan Allen play QB?
Notices

(#1) Old
Loyal Bear

Should Keenan Allen play QB? - 11-22-2010, 10:24 AM

He looked much more polished than Brock. Perhaps his half brother Maynard is cut from the same cloth? That might make Maynard the front runner. Jeff Tedford needs to simplify the offense. It's become too technical for the players to learn "by heart" on the fly. If they unable to get it down cold they will not be able to execute it properly.
  (#2) Old
Loyal Bear

(1, 2) - 11-22-2010, 10:25 AM

Those were two somewhat related thoughts however I mentioned the first one in the thread title.
  (#3) Old
Loyal Bear

11-22-2010, 10:27 AM

I'm pretty sure the guy wants to go pro. He has an almost automatic shot at going pro as a WR. QB? Idk about that one.
  (#4) Old
Loyal Bear

11-22-2010, 10:45 AM

Why not? He can't be any worse than the one we have now.
  (#5) Old
Loyal Bear

11-22-2010, 10:48 AM

Fun to talk about or think about but it will never happen.

I doubt very much JT's offensive style will change much. In my opinion, next year we will see the same pro-style offense and the talk again will be about executing it and making plays.

I doubt very much Ludwig goes. There has been so much turnover at the OC position that I will guess JT will be trigger shy here to make a change.

Marshall will by the symbolic fall guy, in my opinion.
  (#6) Old
Active Bear

11-22-2010, 02:51 PM

When I posted the thread: "Keenan Allen Named Starting QB For Udub Game." I was both joking and making a point. As human beings the nature of our roommates our loved ones and our friends all have an effect on us. If we are around a nervous or uptight spouse, over time we will become more nervous and uptight. If we are around a fun and exuberant personality, we absorb part of that personality into our psyche for the the better.

Tedford is clearly stressed out. He has been since the 2007 season. Over time his players and coaching staff will ingrain part of his psyche into their DNA. What does this have to do with Keenan Allen for QB you ask? Allen is from all accounts a very bright guy who has good, none-nervous energy poring out of his soul. Brock Mansion is talented as all hell, but is part of the position group that Tedford works with most closely.

Mansion and Riley both are high strung QBs, not b/c they came into our system as high strung QBs. But b/c they are coached by a high strung guy. Fear lowers productivity. Keenan Allen really has not shown any fear since being at Cal. He is having fun out there and as a result is less prone to mistakes. Tedford's QBs have struggled, not b/c they are not talented, but b/c they have been inundated with the fear of playing mistake free football or ...... else.

This team's main priority should be finding a way to reduce the things that cause fear and nerves to come into play on the field and success will follow.

(Note: This is all conjecture and by no means has any of this been validated by fact. It is an opinion that I hold and everyone has the right to agree or disagree.)
  (#7) Old
Golden Bear

I was thinking the same thing - 11-22-2010, 03:07 PM

Tedford says he needs to recruit a running Quarterback. Well, he has one in Allen. Anyone that can run like that and throw a 20 yard TD on a rope can do better than Mansion.He improvised ,on the run. Thats what we need.

The Goal should be to beat Washington, anyway we can even if that means unconventional wisdom. My guess is we see more of Allen at QB but not all time.

Allen has such speed and quickness that a defensive coach might think twice about blitzing.

Tedford may now be desperate so you may see some things from him that he would normally not do. It would shock me to see Allen Start at QB.Can he kick? :>)
  (#8) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

11-22-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oskidunker View Post
Tedford says he needs to recruit a running Quarterback. Well, he has one in Allen. Anyone that can run like that and throw a 20 yard TD on a rope can do better than Mansion.He improvised ,on the run. Thats what we need.
we used a trick play and marvin jones was open by how many yards? Doesn't translate to an all game every down situation.
  (#9) Old
Real Bear

11-22-2010, 04:07 PM

I might be awfully tempted to use Keenan Allen in an altered wildcat formation for a signficant number of offensive plays on Saturday versus UDub. I'd employ a quasi-Flex bone formation, using Allen as QB in the Shotgun formation, with Vereen and Sofele in the flex-bone formation just outside of the tackles, on either side, and use a lot of motion plays with handoffs to Vereen or Sofele as needed. I think Allen could perhaps be trusted to throw short and medium range passes on occasional rollouts in order to give the D something to think about. In short, I'd be trusting the game to the defense, a ball control offense that might break a few but make fewer mistakes and plan to win this game against a team that is having a lot of trouble throwing the ball and a QB in Locker who is pretty beat up physically.

If Allen were to have 30-40 touches in a game, I think our chances of breaking a few long scores are much higher than if we continue to pursue our pedestrian offense limited by our relative poor OL play and QB deficiencies. I think he (and this formation) will put more pressure on UDub and I would be going for first down on fourth down anytime we were past or very near the 50 yard line with less than 3-4 yards given how difficult it may be to defend Allen in a short yardage situation.

I know many will scoff at this as a gimmicky offense, but the current situation is just not working for us and so we have nothing to lose. Even the runs Mansion made on the fake handoffs, running around the weakside end for good yardage have not been run in the last three games. I just don't understand why we need to make things so complicated for our QB's.
  (#10) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

11-22-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Junkie View Post
He looked much more polished than Brock. Perhaps his half brother Maynard is cut from the same cloth? That might make Maynard the front runner. Jeff Tedford needs to simplify the offense. It's become too technical for the players to learn "by heart" on the fly. If they unable to get it down cold they will not be able to execute it properly.
Throwing a football is a lot different than playing QB. Did Allen play QB in high school? If not, I doubt you'll see him playing it at the Div I level this or next year.
  (#11) Old
New Bear

11-22-2010, 04:24 PM

Allen played a lot of QB in High School
  (#12) Old
Real Bear

11-22-2010, 04:39 PM

No way Allen plays QB. Pass here and there maybe for trick plays, but it won't be his full-time position. That play in the Big Game was a great play, one that Brock probably would not have made, but I think there are very few plays in the playbook where Allen would be a better fit at QB than Brock. Nice throw for a WR though.

There's so much more to the position than just scrambling and throwing. Reading coverages, reading the pre-snap defense, audibles, reading/comprehending the play call, managing the huddle, etc. Maynard is the closest we'll possibly see to Allen at QB.
  (#13) Old
New Bear

No - 11-22-2010, 05:06 PM

I question whether he should be returning kickoffs.
  (#14) Old
Active Bear

11-22-2010, 07:46 PM

I think not, but I do think that maybe he should be the guy running the "Wildcat", as I think he, and not Vereen, can be effective passing the ball out of that formation. But maybe just running Vereen would be more effective. Who knows? Next year Maynard is coming in, so he might be the guy to run the "Wildcat". He can run and throw.
  (#15) Old
Real Bear

11-22-2010, 07:58 PM

Either of them in the WildCat are better than BM as QB. Run the WildCat full time and add a JUMBO OL/TE up front. SV and KA will find the holes and pass to TEs when open.