Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page How Far Were We From a Ten Win Season?
Notices

(#1) Old
Real Bear

How Far Were We From a Ten Win Season? - 11-29-2010, 05:36 AM

A missed field goal at Arizona. A missed field goal against Oregon. A game against Washington which we coulda and shoulda won. A very winnable game against a top 15 team at Nevada. A win in a bowl game.

Gentleman, CAL's football program is not as far down as many of you would conjecture.
  (#2) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

11-29-2010, 06:14 AM

Every half a$$ team can point at close losses and develop an alternative universe but the reason they lose these games is a lack of execution and coaching not the fates of the Gods.
  (#3) Old
Real Bear

11-29-2010, 06:27 AM

Are you serious? Not even close.

We beat two crappy teams in the beginning of the year, one who actually turned out to have the same record by seasons end in Colorado.

We got our ass kicked by a damn good nevada team, which we thought was winnable but did not know how good they actually were.

I will give you Arizona, We should have won that game.

USC embarrassed us. I mean I know Everyone here hates Kiffen, but they could have won that game by a lot more.

We sucked at Oregon State too.

Oregon, We should have won. and it sucks that we didnt.

Stanford killed us and Washington just out dueled us and they wanted it more.

Maybe we should have won 7 games, but this was not a ten win team at all.
  (#4) Old
no bear

11-29-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB54 View Post
Every half a$$ team can point at close losses and develop an alternative universe but the reason they lose these games is a lack of execution and coaching not the fates of the Gods.
this.

the "if we got every break possible we'd be a good team" argument is pretty silly.
  (#5) Old
no bear

11-29-2010, 06:51 AM

Cal never once looked like a good team to me this year. You can't judge anything based on davis and colorado.
  (#6) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

11-29-2010, 06:55 AM

Yup, Tedford really was unlucky this season.
  (#7) Old
no bear

11-29-2010, 07:04 AM

You know....I didn't wear my lucky rabbit's foot like in past seasons....you may have a point....and Tedford could secretly develop a QB by next season.....yeah, you never know!
  (#8) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

11-29-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcspe69 View Post
A missed field goal at Arizona. A missed field goal against Oregon. A game against Washington which we coulda and shoulda won. A very winnable game against a top 15 team at Nevada. A win in a bowl game.

Gentleman, CAL's football program is not as far down as many of you would conjecture.
That is what is so frustrating to me about the way this team was coached the last few years--not recognizing our strengths and weaknesses, predictable play calling, playing not to lose, playing to win by a FG. The close losses actually hurt more than the blowouts because they should not have even been close, we could have won easily. This team has talent and should have done much better. Tedford and staff showed how big a difference coaching can make in 2002, unfortunately they showed us again in 2010.
  (#9) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

11-29-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:

7 or 8 epic massacres in 2 years???? 33% of games lost by at least 2 TD's and in most cases more then 3.

(#10) Old
Loyal Bear

11-29-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:

Winnable game against Nevada??
  (#11) Old
Real Bear

11-29-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBacker78 View Post
Cal never once looked like a good team to me this year. You can't judge anything based on davis and colorado.
beg to differ - our defense has shown flashes of brilliance. Our offense, on the other hand, is so bad that it brought down our defense.
  (#12) Old
Real Bear

How far were we from a 1-11 season? - 11-29-2010, 07:59 AM

1. We beat two jokes in Davis and Colorado

2. We barely beat WSU.

3. If we were to play ASU right now we just might get blown out with Mansion as the QB.

Hypotheticals are for losers who think like losers. Don't ever think this cr@p again!
  (#13) Old
Loyal Bear

Except for the holes---looking up - 11-29-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:

I agree and I like your optimism. There were some gaping holes that were the cause of those close losses. Let's hope a solution is near, because I hate to see us keep squandering talent on mediocrity.

There were some really great players on this 2010 team who did not maximize the achievement that they otherwise deserve---and I'm not just referring to the prime rib Smorgy-Bob lunch @ Pasadena. I wish them well, and I hope Coach T and his brain trust of coordinators/coaches can do well by the vast well of talented underclassmen next 2011 CFB season.

"You ain't got nothing if you ain't got swagger." __
  (#14) Old
Loyal Bear

VERY Far... - 11-29-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:

(#15) Old
Real Bear

How far are we?? - 11-29-2010, 08:08 AM

IMO, we are a QB, OL, and Kicker away from being a decent team. Despite the couple of blowout losses, I think our D is pretty solid. And even though we lose Mo, Conte, Hill, Jordan, I think we will still be ok on defense next year.

Our offense on the other hand..... Oh boy!