Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page Kevin Riley... did he ever really have a chance?
Notices

(#1) Old
Real Bear

Kevin Riley... did he ever really have a chance? - 12-20-2010, 11:22 AM

As we all know Kevin Riley had a ton of highs and a ton of lows. We all remember the feeling about him as he scrambled for the end zone against OSU in 2007. But was he ever supposed to be in that role? I believe that the whole situation goes all the way back to 2003. In that year Aaron Rodgers took over. Everyone viewed him as a god, he was able to come in from a JC and just dominate college football, this led to us believing that anyone with talent alone could come in and have the mental toughness to use their talent. When Rodgers left after his junior year we had Blue Shirt Freshman Nate Longshore to turn to. Nate Longshore was a good qb who had an amazing offense. Longshore kept our expectations high on new QB's when healthy. When Ayoob and Levy started they sucked. Longshore then started as a sophomore and won 10 games. The start of 2007 came as expected (rarely does for us) then Longshore got injured (again). Then Blue Shirt Freshman Kevin Riley (Gatorade Player of the Year in Oregon) came in. He played great for 59:45 seconds. Then with 14 seconds left, Kevin did what he did. Our expectations were so high for guys like him. He was given an amazing offense and when he lost DJAX, Robert Jordan, Lavell Hawkins, Craig Stevens and Justin Forsett. Riley became very cocky and he started to think college football was easy. I think that he was never able to forget about that scramble against his home team in 2007. Here's my thought, if AR doesn't leave early to sit behind Favre then Longshore would not have had to have an injury marred freshman year which means he would not have had existing foot problems which means riley never gets to blame himself and we win that game. We then become a perennial powerhouse with 5 star recruits coming consistently, which leads to Tedford becoming the coach we used to believe he could be which would lead to all of our fans being happy. Thoughts?
  (#2) Old
Loyal Bear

12-20-2010, 11:30 AM

Kevin Riley had too many chances. End of thread.
  (#3) Old
Real Bear

12-20-2010, 11:32 AM

Wow. There are a lot of ifs there. I can't find it ever healthy to dwell in the conditional, hypothetical, what-if. Let's be a part of something healthier. Like ruling out potential starting QBs who have never taken a collegiate snap. Huzzah!
  (#4) Old
no bear

12-20-2010, 11:38 AM

yes
  (#5) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-20-2010, 11:39 AM

I've always placed a lot of the blame on Marshall and his withering OL... with that said, Kevin Riley had plenty of chances and didn't get it done... There were several QB's in the Pac 10 with less playing time that surpassed him along the way..
  (#6) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-20-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBear323 View Post
Kevin Riley had too many chances. End of thread.
Plus Juan.
  (#7) Old
Loyal Bear

12-20-2010, 11:50 AM

Nate Longshore proved to be the better quarterback despite how 95% of this board felt in 2007 / 2008.
  (#8) Old
no bear

12-20-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajo9 View Post
Nate Longshore proved to be the better quarterback despite how 95% of this board felt in 2007 / 2008.
respectfully disagree. they went head to head in 08 and riley was superior. all be it marginally, but we are talking about a sophmore compared to a senior. we all saw what riley could do with the talent nate had around him in his early years (afa bowl). but it's absurd to argue riley didn't have a chance.
  (#9) Old
Real Bear

12-20-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnaidu View Post
As we all know Kevin Riley had a ton of highs and a ton of lows. We all remember the feeling about him as he scrambled for the end zone against OSU in 2007. But was he ever supposed to be in that role? I believe that the whole situation goes all the way back to 2003. In that year Aaron Rodgers took over. Everyone viewed him as a god, he was able to come in from a JC and just dominate college football, this led to us believing that anyone with talent alone could come in and have the mental toughness to use their talent. When Rodgers left after his junior year we had Blue Shirt Freshman Nate Longshore to turn to. Nate Longshore was a good qb who had an amazing offense. Longshore kept our expectations high on new QB's when healthy. When Ayoob and Levy started they sucked. Longshore then started as a sophomore and won 10 games. The start of 2007 came as expected (rarely does for us) then Longshore got injured (again). Then Blue Shirt Freshman Kevin Riley (Gatorade Player of the Year in Oregon) came in. He played great for 59:45 seconds. Then with 14 seconds left, Kevin did what he did. Our expectations were so high for guys like him. He was given an amazing offense and when he lost DJAX, Robert Jordan, Lavell Hawkins, Craig Stevens and Justin Forsett. Riley became very cocky and he started to think college football was easy. I think that he was never able to forget about that scramble against his home team in 2007. Here's my thought, if AR doesn't leave early to sit behind Favre then Longshore would not have had to have an injury marred freshman year which means he would not have had existing foot problems which means riley never gets to blame himself and we win that game. We then become a perennial powerhouse with 5 star recruits coming consistently, which leads to Tedford becoming the coach we used to believe he could be which would lead to all of our fans being happy. Thoughts?
You must be a damn good mind-reader, or Riley's psychotherapist.
  (#10) Old
Loyal Bear

12-20-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkoski View Post
respectfully disagree. they went head to head in 08 and riley was superior. all be it marginally, but we are talking about a sophmore compared to a senior. we all saw what riley could do with the talent nate had around him in his early years (afa bowl). but it's absurd to argue riley didn't have a chance.
DO, we've been through this before and Longshore's stats were clearly superior to Riley in 2008. You are blinded by your own beliefs. Go ahead and tell me about that all-important yards per completion stat again.
  (#11) Old
Real Bear

12-20-2010, 12:26 PM

So...... It's Aaron Rodgers fault?
  (#12) Old
Real Bear

12-20-2010, 01:06 PM

It could
  (#13) Old
Loyal Bear

Why oh why - 12-20-2010, 01:23 PM

do we spend time doing this?? Isn't there some Christmas tree decorating or some shopping to do? I mean, there has been more posted on here time and time again about Joe Ayoob, Nate Longshore, and now Kevin Riley..it makes me just wonder..When does a quarterback from any college get some slack (and respect?)..Oh well..My problem is I met all three and now that they are gone, consider them to be..mere mortals again..just like Cal-god AR..
  (#14) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-20-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajo9 View Post
DO, we've been through this before and Longshore's stats were clearly superior to Riley in 2008. You are blinded by your own beliefs. Go ahead and tell me about that all-important yards per completion stat again.
Healthy Longshore > Riley > gimpy Longshore.
  (#15) Old
Real Bear

12-20-2010, 05:34 PM

Here..are....my.....thoughts......zzzzzzzz