Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page Was it just me, or were KU fans classless?
Notices

(#1) Old
Real Bear

Was it just me, or were KU fans classless? - 12-23-2010, 12:20 AM

I've been to a lot of Cal sporting events (over 30 years worth), but that had to be the worst group of visiting fans I've ever encountered. I expected a lot more from such a "storied" program. Let me preface this by saying that I have no problem with the KU team itself. Obviously Selby is a stud, and is probably the best freshman I've seen in person since Kidd. And I don't quite blame the KU players for getting a bit feisty....cause we are talking about college aged kids, and it was an extremely physical game.

HOWEVER, the KU fans were absolutely classless.

1. Booing Jorge??!? Really? Jorge is the bad guy here? After a KU player is ejected, and after 3 technical fouls on KU players, the KU fans have the gumption to boo Jorge. (for the record, every Cal radio announcer during postgame said that Jorge did nothing in the scrum to deserve a T, and it appeared he was getting gouged in the eyes). Something I'm sure the homer KU fans will choose to ignore.

2. KU fans acting like obnoxious D-bags throughout the game. I saw one KU couple who would turn around and taunt the Cal fans sitting behind them after every made basket by Kansas. Literally, every made basket.

3. KU fans taunting Cal fans while leaving the game. I saw one incident where these college aged KU fans were waving their arms in front of a Cal elderly couple and yelling at them. After the game, outside of Haas, the KU fans were yelling and taunting like they'd won the super bowl. I mean, this is Kansas we're talking about right? One of the most storied college programs in the history of college basketball. Please act like you've been there before. You just beat a 6-5 team, congrats!

4. KU fans (both at the game and on their forums) whining that the Cal team are full of a bunch of thugs and their players are angels. While I admit that Jorge and Kamp can get under people's skins, the KU players were far from blameless.

5. I heard not one, but several racist comments from KU fans, directly aimed at Jorge. illegal immigrant, go back to mexico, chink (they can't even get their racist comments right) un-american, etc.

I guess the reason I'm so disappointed with KU fans is because I expected a lot more. UCLA fans I expect arrogance. SC fans I expect a certain degree of doucheyness. Oregon fans I expect just plain stupidity and thuggishness. but KU fans were amazingly able to combine all 3. Its just surprising. I've been to Tennessee, where they treated everyone in my party with amazing hospitality. When Nebraska came to Berkeley awhile back, they kicked our ass, cheered their hearts out, and then congratulated us with a game well played once the game ended. I guess in my mind, storied programs are supposed to act like they've been there before. But I guess Kansas is a different story. I suppose that's what happens with success. You get a lot of bandwagon fans who may not have even graduated from KU. Or you get a lot of backwater simpletons who don't know that life exists outside of basketball and lawrence, KS.
  (#2) Old
Real Bear

12-23-2010, 12:58 AM

Some of the incidents at Haas which you describe sound pretty bad. I didn't see anything like that, but maybe I stuck around long enough after the game so that most of the worst yahoos had already left. I agree with you regarding the notion, "Act like you've been there before." I was definitely surprised by the continued booing of Jorge when they were up by 15+ points late in the game. The whole concept of being gracious winners has gone out of style in our society generally, and it's a shame. Nevertheless, my feeling afterwards was that I have experienced far, far worse from visiting UCLA and Arizona fans.

Related question: why didn't Self empty his bench when they were up close to 20 points with 3 minutes left?

As for what people are writing on the forums, I'd repeat the usual caution that a few bad actors don't necessarily represent the whole fan base. I was very surprised and disappointed to see racist comments regarding Jorge and Bak on the AP story at Yahoo Sports. Many people like to stereotype Midwesterners as hicks and rednecks, and comments like that just confirm everyone's worst preconceptions.
  (#3) Old
Loyal Bear

12-23-2010, 01:19 AM

Have you been to Lawrence, Kansas before...I thought North Dakota was bad...Lawrence is an armpit. They have good reason to be in a bad mood lol.

Last edited by MinotStateBeav; 12-23-2010 at 01:27 AM.
  (#4) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-23-2010, 02:08 AM

I was actually disappointed that we didn't boo Robinson mercilessly (the first time he elbowed Guti) and that it was the booing by Jayhawk fans I heard on TV. I also was disappointed that I heard Rock Chalk Jayhawk clearly through my TV set with no Cal fans booing to drown it out. Anyway, I was proud of the way our undermanned team battled, esp. at the point where Carter made his and 1. We just don't have the weapons yet but we didn't give up.
  (#5) Old
Real Bear

12-23-2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
I was actually disappointed that we didn't boo Robinson mercilessly (the first time he elbowed Guti) and that it was the booing by Jayhawk fans I heard on TV. I also was disappointed that I heard Rock Chalk Jayhawk clearly through my TV set with no Cal fans booing to drown it out. Anyway, I was proud of the way our undermanned team battled, esp. at the point where Carter made his and 1. We just don't have the weapons yet but we didn't give up.
I agree, I was also more disappointed that on TV it sounded like Kansas was the home team.
  (#6) Old
Real Bear

12-23-2010, 07:25 AM

My wife and I felt the same way. They have a top ranked team and their fans were booing calls when their players slugged the Cal players. We will forever root against Kansas in any sport they play. Their BB team and fans are a blight on college sports.
Go Bears!
  (#7) Old
no bear

12-23-2010, 07:42 AM

"5. I heard not one, but several racist comments from KU fans, directly aimed at Jorge. illegal immigrant, go back to mexico, chink (they can't even get their racist comments right) un-american, etc."

wow
  (#8) Old
Active Bear

"wow" is right - 12-23-2010, 07:49 AM

Not the smartest things to be yelling at a place like Cal. Did the Cal fans sitting within earshot say anything to them?
  (#9) Old
Real Bear

12-23-2010, 08:00 AM

The crowd absolutely did boo over the rock chalk throughout the game...at the very end the crowd just lost its energy...I agree that many of the Kansas fans (that I saw) were complete d-bags acting like they had never won before and booing Jorge was weak
  (#10) Old
Real Bear

Basketball I Concur... - 12-23-2010, 08:33 AM

They were totally classless. Towards the end of the game, I turned around and told three Kansas fans to back off Jorge and to their credit, they did.

Personally, I thought their team were behaving like thugs (and Self didn't disagree...see the link below) and for a program with their storied history, totally uncalled for. It was evident that for a classy kid like Harper to almost lose it speaks volumes. The officiating crew was inconsistent (and yes, believe it or not, it was a Big 12 crew, even though two of the three have full Pac-10 schedules) and had their hands full too. Having said that, to have to have THREE monitor reviews for fouls in one game is a bit much. You might get ONE a season for that (they're usually for last second, or two-point versus three-point, shots).

And what was up with Kurt Townsend baiting/taunting the Bears from the sidelines during that review? HE should have been tossed too.

Good riddance to never scheduling them again.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/beartalk/2010...or-ridiculous/
  (#11) Old
Real Bear

The bench - 12-23-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSaviolives View Post
The crowd absolutely did boo over the rock chalk throughout the game...at the very end the crowd just lost its energy...I agree that many of the Kansas fans (that I saw) were complete d-bags acting like they had never won before and booing Jorge was weak
I realize there weren't many students there but the Bench was weak. The yell leaders can't get anything going and they didn't bother to try and get the Cal fans to shout down the jayhawk stuff.

I had some KU fans sitting next to me. They were OK and even checked a replay on their phone of the foul that lead to the ejection and were embarrassed. He also couldn't believe morningstar got the T against Jorge when he hit the ball out of his hands after the TO. He was a little surprised at the punk behavior of the jayhawks. Right in front of him was a stereotypical hick from kansas who stood up after EVERY point they scored, turning around and yelling at the Cal fans. After about 10 minutes of this the KU guy next to me told him to sit down and knock it off.

Go Bears!
  (#12) Old
no bear

12-23-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarbear View Post
Not the smartest things to be yelling at a place like Cal. Did the Cal fans sitting within earshot say anything to them?
you'd hope it wouldn't be the smartest thing to yell pretty much anywhere
  (#13) Old
Real Bear

12-23-2010, 08:45 AM

KansASS players, fans, and coaches were all a$$holes. Total thug team with a total trash fanbase. I agree, good riddance to them, never reschedule, and thanks for the memories because now I know to root against you in everything.

Compare this game to the SDSU game earlier this year, and there really is no comparison. Frankly the upstart SDSU should be the ones acting out, but they weren't. Just honest emotion pulling for their team and players who went about their business on the floor without the need to resort to prison yard tactics.

Compare this group of fans to Tennessee, Michigan State, etc. etc. fans we've had in over the years from other regions, again no comparison. Those fans were for the most part classy and supported their team without crossing the line.

KansASS, you may have won the game but you lost a LOT of respect in the process. Congrats!
  (#14) Old
Loyal Bear

12-23-2010, 09:01 AM

KU fans on the whole put on the worst fan display I've ever witnessed since Fresno State football in the early part of the decade (Cal's Holmoe years) prior to their stadium's alcohol ban.
  (#15) Old
Real Bear

12-23-2010, 09:10 AM

The thing that really bothers me about Kansas is that they try to create this perception that they are this classy program, but in reality they are so far from. I admit, before this game, I totally bought into that myth. All you hear is how AllenFieldhouse is this mecca of basketball, and how Kansas fans have so much respect and passion for the game. So I guess that's what makes me so disgusted with what transpired last night. If you are Kansas, you have to be better than that.

I hate KU fans for making me say this, but I'm going to make my stanford-esque statement anyways. After leaving the game last night and witnessing their fan behavior, I wasn't as disgusted with KU fans as much as I truly pitied them. For Cal fans, Cal sports is an outlet. Its a distraction from life. But after witnessing them first hand, its clear that for KU fans, life is basketball. This is all they have. Their entire self worth is wrapped up in how well their basketball team performs. So of course they are going to boo Jorge. Of course they are going to think that their players did nothing wrong. Because whatever their team does is somehow perceived as a direct reflection of themselves. So it was pity that I felt when I walked away from from Haas last night, because I knew that the second I got home, I would go on with my own life. But for KU fans, its a much different story.