Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page Is Cal leading for J. Bird?
Notices

(#16) Old
no bear

06-28-2011, 06:18 PM

BearyWhite...

The statement comes from two or so inside boyz.
But, I did see some follow up tweets.

Everyone already knows that his father wants him to go to Cal.
Even his son has stated this fact.

Cal is in better shape than anybody believed.
To have an inside recruiter like his dad can only mean..
  (#17) Old
Real Bear

Actually..... - 06-28-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyBear View Post
In 1975 Cal finished 17-9 with 4 JC transfers in the starting lineup. Bird, Connie White, and jay Young were 3 of them. I can't remember who the 4th was.
The Fifth Starter was actually Doug Vilotti from Ukiah, with Terry coming off the bench. Terry started the previous season with Brady Allen, from Castlemont HS and Laney JC, Hawthorne, Carl Meier and Rock "Brick" Lee. In 75-76, Young, White and Hawthorne were joined by Gene "The Dream" Ransom (still my favorite Bear with JKidd) and Bird with Ray "Sugar Bear" Murry from Hutchinson JC off the bench. Dick Edwards really underachieved with that talent!
  (#18) Old
Golden Bear

06-28-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyamada View Post
John Terry.
Great memory. Wasn't another JC transfer harry Brown also in the early '70. I think in 1 game he score about 44pt (?).
  (#19) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

06-28-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRise View Post
The statement comes from two or so inside boyz.
But, I did see some follow up tweets.
ok, so do you have links to those tweets? I don't doubt your information, just the odd sourcing.
  (#20) Old
Real Bear

Husslin' Harry Brown - 06-29-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBear073akaSMFan View Post
Great memory. Wasn't another JC transfer harry Brown also in the early '70. I think in 1 game he score about 44pt (?).
An early 70s walk-on, best known for the Harry Brown Fan Club which sat under the north basket (this was before the band and Rally Committee were put there). Brown was rotund, but lost about 30 lbs before his senior year and became the sixth man on an under-talented Bear team. Scored 12 points off the bench his first game senior year, and the rooting section went nuts. I saw that game as a kid.
  (#21) Old
Real Bear

Where are they now? . . . Rickie Hawthorne - 06-29-2011, 11:10 AM

He's currently the girl's hoop coach at Burbank High. The LA Times did an article a couple of years ago at how shocked his players were when they were showed his Cal stats.
  (#22) Old
Real Bear

Maybe he'll wear his dad's old number. - 06-29-2011, 11:13 AM

(#23) Old
Real Bear

06-29-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
He's currently the girl's hoop coach at Burbank High. The LA Times did an article a couple of years ago at how shocked his players were when they were showed his Cal stats.
They probably saw him shooting jumpers before practice.
  (#24) Old
Golden Bear

Villotti, etc - 06-29-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBIGN View Post
The Fifth Starter was actually Doug Vilotti from Ukiah, with Terry coming off the bench. Terry started the previous season with Brady Allen, from Castlemont HS and Laney JC, Hawthorne, Carl Meier and Rock "Brick" Lee. In 75-76, Young, White and Hawthorne were joined by Gene "The Dream" Ransom (still my favorite Bear with JKidd) and Bird with Ray "Sugar Bear" Murry from Hutchinson JC off the bench. Dick Edwards really underachieved with that talent!
Vilotti had health issues, and never recovered fully from his surgeries. The other guys on the team could play, especially Ransom. I went to ever home game that year. The inside game was an issue, and I totally agree with this team underachieved.
  (#25) Old
Real Bear

06-29-2011, 12:17 PM

I recall that he was with the Harlem Globetrotters for a short time.
  (#26) Old
Real Bear

06-29-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
Vilotti had health issues, and never recovered fully from his surgeries. The other guys on the team could play, especially Ransom. I went to ever home game that year. The inside game was an issue, and I totally agree with this team underachieved.
When Ransom was a sophomore in high school, he teamed with Ruppert Jones in the backcourt for Berkeley High to create one of the best guard tandems in Bay Area history, at least most exciting anyway. Ransom went to the wrong college...should have gone to a running, fast break type team. His talents were very underutilized at Cal.....I can remember great pass after great pass bouncing off of teammates' hands (Schneiderjohn), heads and chests. Ransom was born a decade too early, otherwise I think he would have had a nice career in the NBA a la Spud Webb or Bogues.
  (#27) Old
Real Bear

Great Ransom Footage=TOC - 06-29-2011, 03:21 PM

one of the clips in the movie about the high school Tournament of Champions tournament shows Gene dunking over Bill Cartwright in the final game. Unbelievable.
  (#28) Old
Loyal Bear

06-29-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
When Ransom was a sophomore in high school, he teamed with Ruppert Jones in the backcourt for Berkeley High to create one of the best guard tandems in Bay Area history, at least most exciting anyway. Ransom went to the wrong college...should have gone to a running, fast break type team. His talents were very underutilized at Cal.....I can remember great pass after great pass bouncing off of teammates' hands (Schneiderjohn), heads and chests. Ransom was born a decade too early, otherwise I think he would have had a nice career in the NBA a la Spud Webb or Bogues.
Gene should have stuck with baseball, Jensen loved him!
  (#29) Old
Real Bear

06-29-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster99 View Post
Gene should have stuck with baseball, Jensen loved him!
Did you think he was any good in baseball?

I remember playing against his brother Jeff when he was 14 (we were 18).
He had a major league arm at 14.
  (#30) Old
Loyal Bear

06-29-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Did you think he was any good in baseball?

I remember playing against his brother Jeff when he was 14 (we were 18).
He had a major league arm at 14.
Raw, hard to say how good he could be. Had a 4 error game at SS as I recall. But good Berkeley High bloodlines following after Rupert Jones and Glenn Burke.