Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page Is Cal leading for J. Bird?
Notices

(#46) Old
Golden Bear

His dad, Carl wasn't bad either - 08-24-2011, 12:05 PM

a 6-8 forward who led Cal in scoring with 15.2 ppg in 1976 ... shot a team-best 80.0% from the free throw line in 1975 ... Cal's co-MVP in 1976.
  (#47) Old
Loyal Bear

08-24-2011, 12:27 PM

sounds like a stone cold lock for AZ ... because, well they are AZ and we aren't....
  (#48) Old
no bear

08-27-2011, 11:25 PM

Jabari Bird has set up the key visit dates.

Looking like a real battle between Cal and Airzona.
  (#49) Old
no bear

08-29-2011, 07:44 PM

Looks like Cal is in the drivers seat.

Bird was not too excited about going to Arizona.

Arizona just offered Matt Jones, another top SG.
  (#50) Old
Active Bear

08-29-2011, 11:44 PM

carl bird was a terrific player. That team has loads of talent with ray Murray,rick Hawthorne ( ( who I remember taking a midterm in a bathroom with all of his books spread out, props for trying), doug v, brick lee, the great pat motile, a fraternity brother and of course gene the dream ransom. I played against ransom when he was a soph and Rupert jones was a junior at Berkeley high. Our acalanes high team beat them 68-67 with a last second shot by a back up guard, Dave Huer. What an upset. That Berkeley team went on to play for the state title and jones was an amazing athlete. He gould have played D1 in three sports if he had wanted to. Best athlete I ever saw in high school.

Hope Carl's on comes to cal. Dad was a good guy and I bet his son is as well!
  (#51) Old
Real Bear

Here's a Ray Murry story. - 08-30-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasaja View Post
carl bird was a terrific player. That team has loads of talent with ray Murray,rick Hawthorne ( ( who I remember taking a midterm in a bathroom with all of his books spread out, props for trying), doug v, brick lee, the great pat motile, a fraternity brother and of course gene the dream ransom. I played against ransom when he was a soph and Rupert jones was a junior at Berkeley high. Our acalanes high team beat them 68-67 with a last second shot by a back up guard, Dave Huer. What an upset. That Berkeley team went on to play for the state title and jones was an amazing athlete. He gould have played D1 in three sports if he had wanted to. Best athlete I ever saw in high school.

Two years ago, Ray is playing in the alumni game, which was on a Friday night, I believe. My father and I are sitting right down on the floor in what would normally be the student section. Ray gets the ball and fires from the wing. Next trip down, he does the same. My father starts yelling, "Ray, get down on the block," the same thing he used to yell at Ray during his playing career. After about two trips down the floor, Ray looks at my dad, dreadlocks and all, and says, "Man, I didn't go down on the block 20 years ago, I'm not going to start now."
  (#52) Old
Loyal Bear

"Brick Lee" - 08-30-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasaja View Post

Brick Lee was a rock on that team, as I remember it.
  (#53) Old
no bear

08-31-2011, 09:44 AM

I'm all in favor of getting Bird. Now, if we can just get Magic to play alongside him.
  (#54) Old
Real Bear

08-31-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LafayetteBear View Post
I'm all in favor of getting Bird. Now, if we can just get Magic to play alongside him.
I see what you did there.
  (#55) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

Question for TheRise.... - 08-31-2011, 04:19 PM

You say Cal will get 2 for 1 with Bird's commitment to Cal in that Artis will join him at Berkeley. Not questioning you or your source(s), but that would be a pretty significant recruiting coup for the Bears. Pay-back to the 'ruins for DeEnd. More importantly, though, it could reset the table for Bay Area hoops recruiting for Cal.
  (#56) Old
Golden Bear

Ray who? - 09-01-2011, 11:15 AM

Thanks
  (#57) Old
Golden Bear

09-01-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puget sound cal fan View Post
You say Cal will get 2 for 1 with Bird's commitment to Cal in that Artis will join him at Berkeley. Not questioning you or your source(s), but that would be a pretty significant recruiting coup for the Bears. Pay-back to the 'ruins for DeEnd. More importantly, though, it could reset the table for Bay Area hoops recruiting for Cal.
I think he made that post before Artis committed to Ucla.
  (#58) Old
Active Bear

The real "two for one" - 09-01-2011, 11:26 AM

Might be Domingo. Bird and he have been talking about playing together.
  (#59) Old
Loyal Bear

09-01-2011, 04:36 PM

Completely agree on Ruppert Jones. He was a stud. Excellent player in 3 sports. I think he could have been a pro in football. Berkeley High used to regularly have a lot fo really good ballers in all sports.
  (#60) Old
no bear

09-01-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchamp View Post
Might be Domingo. Bird and he have been talking about playing together.
Domingo has set up visits to Harvard,Arizona and Washington.

Both are willing to play together.

Bird does want to commit fairly soon.
So he maybe off the board by October....by September.
Is he visiting already?

Last edited by TheRise; 09-02-2011 at 05:10 PM.