Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page Did Marshall help CU steal our defensive calls?
Notices
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
bearterritory bearterritory is offline
New Bear
 
Posts: 77
Join Date: Jul 2008
Did Marshall help CU steal our defensive calls? - 09-12-2011, 09:09 PM

I have absolutely no evidence to suggest this other than the fact that CU seemed to have exactly the right play call for our D on many downs. When we blitzed, they screened very effectively. When we zoned, they ran short routes and found the seams. Their qb and receiver both set CU records for offense. Likely Marshall did help them scout our D, and I hope we were smart enough to change all our signals so there was no chance of CU stealing signs.
Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
cyrusthebear cyrusthebear is offline
Real Bear
 
cyrusthebear's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,419
Join Date: Nov 2008
09-12-2011, 09:11 PM

Sure why not. If I were CU's coach, I'd pick apart Marshall's head to game plan.
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
LethalFang LethalFang is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
LethalFang's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,184
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
09-12-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearterritory View Post
I have absolutely no evidence to suggest this other than the fact that CU seemed to have exactly the right play call for our D on many downs. When we blitzed, they screened very effectively. When we zoned, they ran short routes and found the seams. Their qb and receiver both set CU records for offense. Likely Marshall did help them scout our D, and I hope we were smart enough to change all our signals so there was no chance of CU stealing signs.
If Tedford uses the exact same signals as he did last year, he's fired.
You don't need to be a D-1 head coach for 10 years to figure that out.
More likely, he knows our tendencies and players' strengths and weaknesses.
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
WarTime Consigliere WarTime Consigliere is offline
Active Bear
 
Posts: 463
Join Date: Jan 2011
09-12-2011, 09:26 PM

probably not but he sure helped a ton in game week preparation. they saw our blitzes coming a mile away
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
grrrutilus grrrutilus is offline
Active Bear
 
Posts: 274
Join Date: Jul 2008
09-12-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTime Consigliere View Post
probably not but he sure helped a ton in game week preparation. they saw our blitzes coming a mile away
of course they could see it coming at 5 miles per hour instead of 100mph. the OLBs are like statues waiting for a building to crumble because of an earthquake before they react. they are just too slow and seem no agility.

Last edited by grrrutilus; 09-12-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
GoBears58 GoBears58 is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 2,276
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Berkeley
09-12-2011, 11:07 PM

4-3 please against pro sets
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
BerlinerBaer BerlinerBaer is offline
Loyal Bear
 
BerlinerBaer's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,768
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Berkeley
09-13-2011, 01:12 AM

They ran a lot of max-protect to bolster their deficient O line (we did this too last year with Marshall, if you recall, especially after Riley went down). That makes it very difficult to pressure the QB without rushing at least six guys.

Either you send in eight and go 1-on-1 against their receivers or you keep some back in coverage and give the QB all day to find an open man. We did a little of both yesterday but Richardson murdered Marc Anthony on the man coverage, or Hansen eventually found the open man. Pick your poison. That's what a senior QB throwing to a stud WR will do.
Reply With Quote
  (#8) Old
KoreAmBear KoreAmBear is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
KoreAmBear's Avatar
 
Posts: 22,115
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Somewhere along the Ko`olau Summit Trail
09-13-2011, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinerBaer View Post
They ran a lot of max-protect to bolster their deficient O line (we did this too last year with Marshall, if you recall, especially after Riley went down). That makes it very difficult to pressure the QB without rushing at least six guys.

Either you send in eight and go 1-on-1 against their receivers or you keep some back in coverage and give the QB all day to find an open man. We did a little of both yesterday but Richardson murdered Marc Anthony on the man coverage, or Hansen eventually found the open man. Pick your poison. That's what a senior QB throwing to a stud WR will do.
How come when they max protect there are receivers open all the time. When we used to max protect like with Longshore and Riley, there's no one open. We've had separation issues for a long time.
Reply With Quote
  (#9) Old
drunkoski drunkoski is offline
no bear
 
Posts: 21,630
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
09-13-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalFang View Post
If Tedford uses the exact same signals as he did last year, he's fired.
You don't need to be a D-1 head coach for 10 years to figure that out.
More likely, he knows our tendencies and players' strengths and weaknesses.
tedford reportably used the same signals he used at oregon that he used at cal. . . even against oregon the next year.
Reply With Quote
  (#10) Old
twister twister is offline
Active Bear
 
twister's Avatar
 
Posts: 188
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver
09-13-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearterritory View Post
I have absolutely no evidence to suggest this other than the fact that CU seemed to have exactly the right play call for our D on many downs. When we blitzed, they screened very effectively. When we zoned, they ran short routes and found the seams. Their qb and receiver both set CU records for offense. Likely Marshall did help them scout our D, and I hope we were smart enough to change all our signals so there was no chance of CU stealing signs.
Possibly.

Did Ambrose and Keis give CJT the book on CU? Probably. Nature of the beast.
Reply With Quote
  (#11) Old
elpbear elpbear is offline
Loyal Bear
 
Posts: 4,778
Join Date: Jul 2008
09-13-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister View Post
Possibly.

Did Ambrose and Keis give CJT the book on CU? Probably. Nature of the beast.
Right, except CU has a different offensive coordinator and different scheme this year. So I don't think they were very helpful regarding CU's offense, which is brand new. You could say the same about Cal, I suppose. But although we outscored you thanks to much better efficiency in the red zone, the real obvious mismatch was the CU OL vs. Cal's DL, which is surprising to Cal fans after our experiences with Marshall.

Props to your OL... they were fantastic. If they can keep that up all year you guys are going to outperform expectations.

Also props to Eric B. He called a great game, and it wasn't remotely like what Cal saw CU do vs. Hawaii.

Last edited by elpbear; 09-13-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  (#12) Old
TummyoftheGB TummyoftheGB is offline
New Bear
 
Posts: 69
Join Date: Sep 2009
None of the lb's had a particularly good day - 09-13-2011, 08:12 AM

Kendricks uncharacteristically missed a few key tackles and ran himself out of several of the screens. Camporeale missed an point-blank sack. Davis kept getting cut at the line of scrimmage. This lack of execution was way more important than possible knowledge of defensive signals.

The team has to hope that this was a one-game anomaly. With Kendricks it probably was--he just didn't seem himself for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote
  (#13) Old
elpbear elpbear is offline
Loyal Bear
 
Posts: 4,778
Join Date: Jul 2008
09-13-2011, 08:35 AM

Don't forget Kendricks is playing a new position as well. Hopefully it doesn't take him long to get up to speed on the differences between playing the inside and the outside...
Reply With Quote
  (#14) Old
OzoneTheCat OzoneTheCat is online now
Real Bear
 
OzoneTheCat's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,380
Join Date: Jul 2008
09-13-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TummyoftheGB View Post
. Davis kept getting cut at the line of scrimmage.
I noticed this on multiple plays and not just Davis. Time and time again our guys were getting knocked off their feet. Hard to make a tackle when you're on your belly (or backside).
Reply With Quote
  (#15) Old
TorBear TorBear is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 2,068
Join Date: Jul 2008
09-13-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkoski View Post
tedford reportably used the same signals he used at oregon that he used at cal. . . even against oregon the next year.
If, by "the next year", you mean 2002, we didn't play Oregon that year.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Ad Management by RedTyger